Homemade Hommus Fail - Advice?

Options
kaetra
kaetra Posts: 442 Member
My store quit selling the 32 calorie Oasis Hommus, so I made my own today. I should have mocked up the recipe first because after I finished I figured out my Hommus has just as much fat and calories as the higher calorie hommus brands at the store. Bummer. At least it tastes OK I guess. It was alot of work though. I had to make my own tahini paste because I couldn't find any at the store. That was the easiest part actually.

Maybe someone good at hommus can help me adjust things to lighten it up? Here's my ingredients -

For the Tahini Paste -
1/2 cup of sesame seeds (2 ounces) I toasted in a pan
2 TBS canola oil
2 TBS olive oil
(would it work OK to cut the oil in 1/2 and use only 1 TBS each next time?)

For the hommus I used -
All of the homemade tahini paste
1 16 oz. can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed (Bush's)
Juice of 1 lemon
1 tsp sea salt
3 gloves garlic minced
Water to loosen it up - about 1/3 cup

I realize 70 calories isn't that much for hommus, but I miss eating 2 servings of the Oasis brand for 64 calories. It really filled me up! The Oasis ingredients were very simple too - just chick peas, tahini, lemon juice, garlic, sea salt. So I don't think they added anything weird. Maybe they just add more water and blend the heck out of?

Replies

• klmnumbers
    klmnumbers Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I have nothing of use to add, but I just had to comment on your ticker. A Boosh fan on MFP?! I'm in heaven. Also, hummus is delightful.
  • skb32881
    skb32881 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I tried to make my own and it didn't taste nearly as good as the store bought kind so I'm definitely interested in advice anyone has.....
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    i probably wouldn't bother with the tahini paste - it can make it very bitter. And it sounds like you're including too much, anyway.

I usually use coriander and cumin in mine.
  • Crystal_Pistol
    Crystal_Pistol Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I buy premade tahini. That has been the only way I could get the taste right. I am *NOT* a good tahini maker, but apparently if I start with it, my hummus is great.
  • Samsara9
    Options
    Probably too much Tahini, I'm guessing....my recipe doesn't call for very much, I think like only a tablespoon. My mother makes the best homemade hummus because she owns a Vitamix :heart:
  • AnitraSoto
    AnitraSoto Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    I have made hummus several times, and liked it better without the tanini as well - it seems to make it bitter... I used the same ingredients on your list, except I thinned it out with a little veggie broth (or chicken). Also add cumin (and I added coriander). Less calories without the tahini, and a lot easier too..
  • kaetra
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I will definitely give less tahini a try. The tahini taste was really overpowering in my batch for sure. And I'll try really hard to find some store-bought tahini. There's a Whole Foods by my husband's work, maybe he can check for me.

I would LOVE to try it from a Vitamix! I bet that really emulsifies it good :) I use my immersion blender and it works out OK, but it takes some elbow grease.
  • kaetra
    Options
    I have nothing of use to add, but I just had to comment on your ticker. A Boosh fan on MFP?! I'm in heaven. Also, hummus is delightful.

LOVE BOOSH! I'm in the U.S. so I didn't discover them until last year - and I'm SO glad I did. :heart: I bought the 3 seasons DVD set and I watch it constantly. I gobble up any Boosh bits I can find. My 8 year old daughter sings "Bouncy Bouncy" during all jumping-type events!
  • klmnumbers
    klmnumbers Posts: 213 Member
    Options

LOVE BOOSH! I'm in the U.S. so I didn't discover them until last year - and I'm SO glad I did. :heart: I bought the 3 seasons DVD set and I watch it constantly. I gobble up any Boosh bits I can find. My 8 year old daughter sings "Bouncy Bouncy" during all jumping-type events!

Haha. This is 100% me. I bought all three seasons back in February of this year. I love it so much. I watch the safe episodes with my youngest sister (who is also 8) and then do earmuffs if they have any naughty jokes. Hehe