greenday is NOT punk

Options
2»

Replies

• Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options

they've got that classic punk chord work.

Whoa - they are from Ireland.
    They're from Derry in Northern Ireland. The lead singer, Fergal Sharkey, went very mainstream after leaving the Undertones.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bx9qUR9P2ZQ
  • _snw_
    _snw_ Posts: 1,305 Member
    Options
    NOFX anyone? lol

Hell ya. I mentioned them above. I ~heart~ fat mike.
  • _snw_
    Options

they've got that classic punk chord work.

Whoa - they are from Ireland.
    They're from Derry in Northern Ireland. The lead singer, Fergal Sharkey, went very mainstream after leaving the Undertones.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bx9qUR9P2ZQ

Holy crap. He went totally mainstream!
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    Must've been the gf that inspired "She" not sure if that leads to objectivity. I think Pandora gives them cred a punk. But sure, sold out or not hard core or you simply don't like it that's all cool.

I like em. And the clash and the Ramones and ministry and Rollins. What does this mean? No not that I'm old. Just my taste in music is back with the earlier days to the mid 1990s of punk. Anything since sublime and I'm kind of meh.

Likes me some old Public Enemy too from when rap stood for something
    Yes they are. Now they have evolved into pop-punk, but if you go back to their early stuff, (think 1039 smoothed out slappy hours) they were playing honest-to-god punk. Honestly.

i was bestfriends w/ BJ's girlfriend so had the opportunity to hang a lot and I dunno, I just don't agree with the punk. Maybe 3 chord ~pop~ punk (relying heavily on the POP part of that phrase.

Or maybe it's just because i loathe them so.
  • _snw_
    Options
    Must've been the gf that inspired "She" not sure if that leads to objectivity. I think Pandora gives them cred a punk. But sure, sold out or not hard core or you simply don't like it that's all cool.

I like em. And the clash and the Ramones and ministry and Rollins. What does this mean? No not that I'm old. Just my taste in music is back with the earlier days to the mid 1990s of punk. Anything since sublime and I'm kind of meh.

Likes me some old Public Enemy too from when rap stood for something
    Yes they are. Now they have evolved into pop-punk, but if you go back to their early stuff, (think 1039 smoothed out slappy hours) they were playing honest-to-god punk. Honestly.

i was bestfriends w/ BJ's girlfriend so had the opportunity to hang a lot and I dunno, I just don't agree with the punk. Maybe 3 chord ~pop~ punk (relying heavily on the POP part of that phrase.

Or maybe it's just because i loathe them so.

I dont' think so, but maybe. I'm pretty sure they split byu the time dookie came out.

btw, i'm totally not saying people shouldn't like them (or any punk or unpunk band out there. I was just laughing at the fact google as them 3rd in spot of most punk rock on the internet. :)
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options

I dont' think so, but maybe. I'm pretty sure they split byu the time dookie came out.

btw, i'm totally not saying people shouldn't like them (or any punk or unpunk band out there. I was just laughing at the fact google as them 3rd in spot of most punk rock on the internet. :)

I have nothing against Green Day (I have "American Idiot" on my iPod). I just don't consider them to be punk. I consider true punk to be the period from the mid 1970's to about 1980.