What is with peoples food entries?

Options
Its becoming a serious pet peeve of mine to log food from the site only to find the nutrition information isnt complete. They rarely include sodium and they often times just put the fat and calories. Dont they realize you gain weight from carbs and have a harder time losing weight if you dont watch sodium too? I just dont get why people want to cheat themselves with partial and incomplete information. :noway:

Replies

• Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Carbs don't make you gain weight on principle.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    Today I corrected the nutrition facts on a cocoa glazed donut from dunkin donuts... I said NO info is not correct and it brought up an edit screen! How cool is that, so next time something is incomplete, you can complete it. YAY!
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Carbs don't make me gain weight and sodium doesn't affect my weight loss.

All that affects my weight loss/gain is calories in/calories out.

When I add an item - I make sure I add all the information. But, quite honestly.. I'm not cheating myself if I don't pay attention to everything else, because everything else doesn't affect me. Perhaps it affects YOU and YOUR weight loss, but don't generalize and assume everyone is the same.

As long as I stay under my calories - I'm fine. I consume over 300g of carbs a day on average and my sodium and sugar are usually off the charts.

I've lost 60lbs.

Don't assume we're all the same - we aren't.
  • StephanieRDMS
    StephanieRDMS Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I know...like people will put in spaghetti...and there's NO sodium. I'm like wtf? Seriously?! There's a **** ton of sodium!
  • 4realnowcw
    Options
    Yes - that's what I'm finding is the most important for me too - - calories in / calories out
  • edryer123
    edryer123 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I agree this is a huge pet peeve of mine as well. Half the time I am entering stuff from my cell while I'm at work and don't have time to go through and search for a corrected one. Then i go back later in the day if I remember.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,114 Member
    Options
    Enter your own foods and input whtever is important to you. Then it is in "My Foods" and you'll know it reflects what is important to you.
  • Jadesfattorment
    Options
    Well I don't watch carbs, I live off them and for me that works ok. I watch sugar and fat :D
  • ABeautifulDistraction
    Options
    I watch my sodium intake for two reasons: 1) it's a trigger to over eat for me and 2) I am sodium sensitive, needing only 1,000mg or less/day. However, not everyone feels the need to monitor sodium.

I eat complex carbs daily - whole grains, beans, fruits, and vegetables. I am losing, not gaining. To me there is a huge difference between refined carbs and refined sugar vs whole food (complex carbs and naturally occurring sugar in fruit and dates).

I consulted my doctor plus a registered dietician before I began eating this way and they both endorsed it 100%. It is working for me and my hypothyroidism, and it works for many diabetics, hypertensives, and people with chronic fatigue syndrome.

If what other people eat and how they log it annoys you, don't read their food log.
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I know...like people will put in spaghetti...and there's NO sodium. I'm like wtf? Seriously?! There's a **** ton of sodium!

Er, no. There is no sodium in spaghetti.

Now, spaghetti sauce . . . that's a different story.
  • StephanieRDMS
    StephanieRDMS Posts: 90 Member
    Options

Er, no. There is no sodium in spaghetti.

Now, spaghetti sauce . . . that's a different story.

You know what I'm talking about! Lol. Spaghetti itself...the dish...not the noodles...not the sauce...BOTH!
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    Gotta say finding inaccurate info is far more frustrating than incomplete, but both are pretty annoying.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I hate it when the protein isn't there! pffft
  • daydream58
    daydream58 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Any time I see inaccurate or incomplete info, instead of just moving on to another choice or inputting my own, I EDIT the one that's already there and make it correct. If everyone did that - the database would be perfect right now instead of the mess it is.

Calories in vs calories out make you fat. Carbs do not make you fat. I've heard some people have some sort of intolerance for them, but I think it's mostly related to not being able to control themselves once they eat any simple junky ones. But if simple junky food was made out of anything else, I suspect they'd have the same problem!

I don't both tracking sodium... but that is the biggie in my opinion. The reason I don't is because I don't PUT IT ON ANYTHING and I very very very very rarely eat canned or processed in any way food... I concentrate on eating as cleanly as possible and I don't add salt to anything. That said - I still don't track it so I can enjoy the lovely low green numbers BECAUSE I am a big eater of chick peas and they are high sodium items ON PAPER - however, I rinse my chick peas very well before using them, and I heard that takes a lot of the sodium off them. If that is true, I'd be getting a false high reading if I tracked that. But i have no way of knowing just how much sodium I'm rinsing off, so screw it - I just eat clean and I know I'm doing well, and I don't worry to much about it after that.

It is annoying when people add foods instead of editing them tho. If the database is ever to get cleaned up - it would be a miracle at this point and it's a shame because if everyone committed to it, we could clean it up in a week.
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    I often wonder, the more popular that MFP gets, how many entries will be made by lazier people with inaccurate info? I wonder if people change the data in food just to make themselves feel better. Does MFP randomly check for accuracies?

Today, I ate filipino Longanisa. The results from MFP were all over the place on calories. I really have no clue if the one I checked is/was correct.
  • daydream58
    daydream58 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    If I even suspect a value is not correct, I get on google and research it. I email companies. I phone companies. To a company, they have always gotten back to me. Companies want the right info in this database, even if they were unaware of it prior to my contact. They're more than happy to give me the information. They are starting to realize that without accurate data on this as well as other top nutrition sites, people will eventually just stop eating their products!
  • avaloneternal
    Options
    I think the moral of the story is that we are all focused on different things but our goal is the same. Isn't the beauty of it that we are all getting results? No need to argue about what is more or less important. Find what works for you and for your body and then celebrate your own victory :)
  • sheshe32
    sheshe32 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    If you just go through and do it yourself then so its there when you need it again? Everyone is different. People put in what they want for themselves in the future not just for others to "use".:yawn:
  • mfp_1
    mfp_1 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Several people are fixing errors in the database. See:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/402136-volunteers-wanted-fix-spelling-errors-in-database.

People also update nutrition and delete duplicates (or at least mark them as duplicates). A barcode can only be allocated to one food so that makes it easier to identify the single item that needs correct info.

The more people working on the database, the better. It's our database. Your help would be welcome.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Sorry but people put things in the database for their own convenience, not for yours. If you don't like it then ignore the user-created entries. No one is obligated to enter your food items for you.