How do you reward yourself?

Options
I wasnt sure where to post this, hope this is ok.

How do you reward yourself for reaching a goal, if you do at all. Im losing 10lbs at a time, so my first reward was a small bowl of ice cream, only because I wanted it. But I dont want to use food. That is defeating the purpose of living healthier. Does anyone have any ideas on something different to use, other than food, to use as a reward?

Replies

• GuruOnAMountain
    GuruOnAMountain Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I think it's fine to use food as a reward in moderation. I mean, food is pleasureable and if you really like or fancy ice cream etc. then what's so bad about treating yourself as a one-off when you've reached a goal? As long as it isn't happening all the time, I don't think it's too bad.
  • Tyffany130
    Options
    Thanks. That justifies my ice cream splurge :) My problem is, sometimes I go overboard. So I guess thats why I want to avoid the food. Im not in total control fo my eating yet LOL I know in the end I will hopefully lose a total of 50lbs, and my final reward will a new camera...and of course a wardrobe so I have clothes to fit me.
  • nk17
    nk17 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Physical pampering. Manicure, pedicure, facial, hairdo, massage. Something that feels good and accents what you've achieved.
  • Hayesgang
    Options
    I don't reward myself - altho now that I can wear every piece of clothing that I own, that's pretty rewarding.

Here are some things I try and enjoy all the time.
    Mani, Pedi
    New haircut (to accuate that slimmer face)
    Facial
    Massage
    New running/walking shoes
    New workout clothes (I like cute workout clothes)
    Digital Food Scale (very eye opening)
  • edryer123
    edryer123 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Instead of food, why not a new album on itunes or a new piece of clothing? when I was losing weight for my wedding I would buy something for the wedding. i.e. a new bathing suit for the weekend, a hot pair of heels, got my hair done. I found food rewards made me feel guilty later.
  • Tyffany130
    Options
    Physical pampering. Manicure, pedicure, facial, hairdo, massage. Something that feels good and accents what you've achieved.

Thats a good idea Thanks I could use a nice haircut. Right now, my husband just trims it for me.
  • lawmama_
    lawmama_ Posts: 103 Member
    Options

I agree. I haven't been rewarding my successes with food because I'm afraid it'll trigger bad habits, and the cycle will begin again. I bought some new clothes and am going to treat myself to some facial treatments next week!
  • Tyffany130
    Options
    Instead of food, why not a new album on itunes or a new piece of clothing? when I was losing weight for my wedding I would buy something for the wedding. i.e. a new bathing suit for the weekend, a hot pair of heels, got my hair done. I found food rewards made me feel guilty later.

I feel guilty for the ice cream already :( I'll just go get on the exercise bike :)
  • ilovemyhorse
    Options
    220: A new saddle pad for Zeba
    200: Horse necklace
    180: Manicure
    160: A tattoo
    140: Buy my own horse
    120: SHOPPING SPREE
  • yager8725
    yager8725 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    smaller underwear...giggle.
  • Tyffany130
    Options

It would be nice to have cute underwear instead of big, cotton briefs haha
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    At the moment, for every 15 lb loss I gift myself with a charm for my bracelet.
  • andreacord
    Options

^This. Totally in agreeance, it's what I've been doing so far. When I hit 25 lbs I bought new jeans for myself and when I hit 50 I'm gonna buy a whole new wardrobe. =)
  • c_marie724
    Options
    I don't see anything wrong with rewarding yourself with food. I gave up so much food that I love to lose weight and sometimes that gets frustrating so I decided when I lost 20 pounds I will reward myself with my favorite thing and have one Reese's Peanut Butter cup. When I turn down a piece of candy or some other sort of sweets I just remind myself that if I keep saying no I will have that reward soon.
  • Tyffany130
    Options
    At the moment, for every 15 lb loss I gift myself with a charm for my bracelet.
    That's a pretty neat idea. You would have something to remind you of your hard work and also something you can wear and cherish for a long time.
    Thank you everyone so much for these ideas!
  • yager8725
    yager8725 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    it will completely change how you decide if food is worth it or not!!! make sure you wear them when you go out to eat!!

]

It would be nice to have cute underwear instead of big, cotton briefs haha
    [/quote]
  • bmmadden
    bmmadden Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    1. 215 Reward running Shoes (Completed) 5-16-11
    2. 200 Reward New Makeup (Completed) 7-20-11
    3. 185 Reward New outfit and Date night : Half way there!! (Completed) 9-14-11
    4. 170 Reward Chalean Extreme and Turbo Fire Hopefully this will get me to goal!!
    5. 155 Reward Bath and Body Works
    6. 140 Reward Shoes/Purse Spree
    7. 130 Reward: GOAL
    $500 Shopping Spree Total Makeover: New Clothesand Victoria Secret, Hair Done, Mani/Pedi, and weekend w/husband

These are my rewards I have listed on my profile, You should have treats with food every once in a while but definitely think of some things you would like to really have that are important to you to get along the way
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    New clothes. I have developed a serious shopping habit.
  • Troll
    Troll Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    depressingly, i dont reward myself. Just gotta truck it through.
  • klmnumbers
    klmnumbers Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    When I get below 200 (hopefully in the next few weeks..), I'm going to buy a new dress.

When I reach my goal weight, it'll be a shopping spree (primarily for some nice tailored suits, haha).

Until then, I generally buy myself expensive make-up as a reward. My first reward was the shadowbox eye shadow palette from Urban Decay. $40 for eyeshadow? Don't mind if I do.