Should I eat yougurt???

Options
I've heard that its good for your body to have yogurt everyday but I can't get over how much sugar is in one little cup :noway: So is it even necessary? Does anyone eat yogurt everyday or notice a difference from eating it? Probably really doesnt matter but i was just wondering..Thanks

Replies

• janet_pratt
    janet_pratt Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I have trouble getting enough protein so I use yogurt a lot. I use nonfat plain greek yogurt. I use it in protein shakes or as a substitute for sour cream. If I want to eat it as a snack, I add some liquid stevia to it and something crunchy. I like crunch in my yogurt. It doesn't contain all the sugar of fruited yogurts.
  • peggyj49
    peggyj49 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me to stop eating sugary fruit flavored yogurt and switch to plain Greek yogurt.. And the other post was exactly right use stevia as a sweetener. I have used it for about 7 or 8 years. Its fantastic.
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Yogurt is good - IF you eat the kind that has a higher protein count than sugar count. Most yogurt- in my part of the US, anyway- is pretty much candy.

I'm a big advocate of good yogurt, though. It really seems to help keep my digestive system in line.
  • megansoriano
    Options
    mix plain Chobani with your favorite flavor of 10 cal Jello-O! about 60 calories and yum yum!!
  • kybrandyb
    kybrandyb Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I like Chobani Greek Yogurt ... either Pineapple or Black Cherry are my favorites. I have one every day. It has 160 calories 3 grams of fat and 13 grams of protien :)
  • lauristewart
    lauristewart Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I eat it s lot! I ear the light version. Only 80 calories and the favors are very tasty! I usually mix it up with cottage cheese or fruit.
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    I never eat yogurt - though I tried to eat chobani plain back when I was a newbie - just couldn't make it taste good no matter what I mixed it with.

I've done fine without.

I eat lots of fish, turkey, and chicken to get my protein. :)
  • MaryAsh79
    Options
    Im obsessed with Fage 0% Greek Yogurt. I use it instead of cream and sour cream in everything I eat/ make. Its amazing. I also eat it plain before a work out, great healthy source of protien!
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I love yogurt. Plain yogurt with some berries or peaches is yummy.

Sometimes commercially available yogurts are just too sour and need sweetener even with berries in it. If you make your own yogurt, you can control how sour your yogurt is. With my own homemade yogurt I never need any sweetener and I even enjoy it plain if I don't have any berries. Making yogurt at home is really easy and way cheaper.

Also yogurt can be used with savory dishes as well. I think a lot of Americans forget this because we are so used to associating yogurt with syrupy sweet little containers of something that tastes like dessert.

ANYWAY. to answer your question, YES, if you find a way that you enjoy eating yogurt without all the added sugar then yes, eat it, it's a good way to get protein and the probiotics are great for the tummy... If you don't find a way that you enjoy it then skip it.
  • abrantner
    Options

Sometimes commercially available yogurts are just too sour and need sweetener even with berries in it. If you make your own yogurt, you can control how sour your yogurt is. With my own homemade yogurt I never need any sweetener and I even enjoy it plain if I don't have any berries. Making yogurt at home is really easy and way cheaper.

Also yogurt can be used with savory dishes as well. I think a lot of Americans forget this because we are so used to associating yogurt with syrupy sweet little containers of something that tastes like dessert.

ANYWAY. to answer your question, YES, if you find a way that you enjoy eating yogurt without all the added sugar then yes, eat it, it's a good way to get protein and the probiotics are great for the tummy... If you don't find a way that you enjoy it then skip it.

Would you mind sharing the recipe?
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Can I just add that 1/2 cup of Greek plain yogurt has about 19grams of sugar and yummy yoplait has like 14grams?

In any case, what nutrition/item are you trying to get out of yogurt?
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options

Would you mind sharing the recipe?

I'll refer you the website where I learned how to make it: http://www.makeyourownyogurt.com/
    I don't do it exactly like this website anymore, but it gives you a good start.

One thing I do that is very different than in the video is I pour my yogurt into the containers right after pitching it and then I put the containers in a warm water bath in an oval crock pot and I turn on the crock pot long enough to warm the water periodically (not past 110 degrees or you will kill the cultures) When the yogurt is thickened, I don't stir it, I just take it from the water bath and put it in the coldest part of the fridge. It has NEVER taken the full 7 hours for my yogurt to be ready.

Also, there is often a lot of whey, I pour it off and use it to make pancakes, but you can also stir it in before eating the yogurt.

Finally, if all this seems like too much work, you can also buy a yogurt maker that takes care of watching the temperature for you.

Let me know if you have any questions.
  • stronglikebull
    Options
    Can I just add that 1/2 cup of Greek plain yogurt has about 19grams of sugar and yummy yoplait has like 14grams?

i don't know what brand of greek yogurt you're getting that sugar content from, but the brand i use, zoi, has 11 carbs total for a 1 cup serving with 10g protein. the fat free version has 11 sugars and 15 grams of protein/cup. i can't imagine and greek yogurt without either fruit, honey, or added sugar flavoring having that many sugars per serving. yikes!
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    I had about 6 little cups of yogurt today, they're like 35 calories each.

Whenever I'm workin 8+hrs I basically blend all my food and drink it throughout the day.

Brands with added sugar are usually 3x the amount of calories.

I actually enjoy it.
  • rainbowbow
    Options
    Fage Greek yogurt. Regardless I eat yogurt practically everyday and have never had any awesome/bad effects because of sugar. If OP wants protien there are many options, or probiotics there are options as well. I don't see why it has to be yogurt. And if it IS yogurt, I'd eat the delicious kind!

i don't know what brand of greek yogurt you're getting that sugar content from, but the brand i use, zoi, has 11 carbs total for a 1 cup serving with 10g protein. the fat free version has 11 sugars and 15 grams of protein/cup. i can't imagine and greek yogurt without either fruit, honey, or added sugar flavoring having that many sugars per serving. yikes!
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Fage Greek yogurt. Regardless I eat yogurt practically everyday and have never had any awesome/bad effects because of sugar. If OP wants protien there are many options, or probiotics there are options as well. I don't see why it has to be yogurt. And if it IS yogurt, I'd eat the delicious kind!

The huge benefit of Greek yogurt vs. regular yogurt is the protein. It is going to fill you up. Regular yogurt? Not even.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options

This is absolutely incorrect. A 7 ounce container of the FULL FAT Fage is 8g of sugar. 7 ounces is in fact...just 1 ounce shy of a full cup. Your facts are hugely exaggerated. Yoplait yogurts typically have a LOT more sugar than Fage.
  • IvoryParchment
    IvoryParchment Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I have a yogurt maker, and it's pretty useful if you like yogurt. You just heat your milk of choice hot enough to kill all germs, cool it to baby bottle temperature, stir in some active culture yogurt, and incubate. You can use skim or whole milk, and you can add extra milk powder to get the thicker stuff like Dannon. (My plain skim milk yogurt was kind of thin, like Junket rennet custard.) You can put fruit in the bottom (I liked raisins and cinnamon). You can add sweetener if you want.

Yogurt doesn't have to be a sweet dessert food. You can use it anywhere you use sour cream, like on Mexican food. (It's great on enchiladas or tacos.) It can also be seasoned with savory spices and vegetables instead of sugar and fruit. You can then eat it straight, or use it as a salad dressing or dip. It's great on falafel patties in pita with lettuce and tomato. It's the basis of Greek tzatziki sauce and Indian raita. (I posted a recipe here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/398520-south-asian-raita )

If you go to an Indian restaurant, you definitely want to try the mango lassi, a yogurt drink made with mango pulp and ice. It's not a diet drink, but it's divine.
  • rainbowbow
    Options
    I apologize the Fage yogurt we have here in houston and per their website has 29g of sugar.

Serving Size: 1 Container 5.3oz (150g)
    Servings per Container 1
    Calories 190
    Calories from fat 25
    Total fat 2.5g
    % DV Total fat 4%
    Saturated fat 1.5g
    % DV Saturated fat 8%
    Trans fat 0g
    Cholesterol 5mg
    % DV Cholesterol 2%
    Sodium 40mg
    % DV Sodium 2%
    Total carbohydrates 29g
    % DV carbohydrates 10%
    Dietary fiber 0g
    % DV fiber 0%
    Sugars* 29g
    Protein 12g
    % DV Protein 24%
    Vitamin A 0%
    Vitamin C 0%
    Calcium 10%
    Iron 0%

it all comes with honey and/or fruit. Even the chobani yogurt ive found has been 13 grams of sugar.

But that wasnt my point. what specifically is the need to eat yogurt if you are concerned about the sugar content? You can eat so many other foods with similar benefits.

Edit: it also wasnt my point to argue either. I eat yogurt practically every single day because i think its tasty.
  • StrengthIsBeautiful
    Options
    I eat Kroger brand Lite Nonfat Yogurt.
    Cherry Cheesecake Flavor:
    6 oz.
    Calories: 80
    Total Fat: 0
    Cholest.: 5mg
    Sodium: 105mg
    Potassium: 270mg
    Total Carb: 12g
    Fiber: 1g
    Sugars: 10g
    Protein: 7g
    Vit.A: 6% Vit.C: 0% Calcium: 25% Iron: 0% Vit.D: 15%

I really like it, it comes in lots of flavors, and best of all it is 10 for $4.00
    It might be a mind thing, but I think my body feels better when I have one a day.