Does anyone have problems laying on their hips?

Options
ok So that probably sounds really funny, but like to do some side leg raises and some p90x moves it requires you to lay on your side on your hips. Does anybody else have problems doing this or am I just doing something wrong? It hurts really Bad and I can't lay on my left hip. My right isn't as bad which is surprising becasue I broke my pelvic bone in 3 places on the right side back in 1995. So yeah its been a while and I don;t think that has anything to do with it. But I can't lay on the side of my left hip. I can rotate slightly backward and I'm fine but to be on my side directly with my hips stacked on one another I can't do. Can Anybody help?

Replies

• sweetptgrl
    sweetptgrl Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    You could potentially have some hip bursitis or an IT Band problem. Does your hip bother you at any other time?
  • Lisa_222
    Lisa_222 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I have early arthritis and I can't lie on either hip, even in bed where it's pretty soft. Nothing can be done except cortisone shots for now, which I am avoiding as long as I can just avoid lying on one side too long. I suggest a really padded surface or a trochanter pillow that is like a small doughnut that takes the pressure off your hip bone.
  • ThinnerHill
    ThinnerHill Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    No just when I lay on it on the floor to do side exercises. Its strange.
  • qtcaro
    qtcaro Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I have that sometimes where the bone hurts when I lay on it. Not sure how to solve it but what I do is I lean back so I'm actually kind of leaning more on my rear cheek, and do some exercises more on a 90 degree angle vs the 180. i know that may not be correct form and I may be missing some of the benefit of the exercise when I do that BUT I know if I just do what I can I'll eventually be able to do it correctly, lol.
  • jinxypinxy
    jinxypinxy Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I have this same issue, and I think it's just because I don't have so much padding on the hip any more :D
  • Misiaxcore
    Misiaxcore Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I had this problem doing some Jillian moves. It really really hurt my hips and the side of my thighs. Sadly, I don't know why.
  • irishseven
    irishseven Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I run daily, and I have an IT band issue.my kids are distance runners and have said I should use a roller to help smooth the area...you should try it..my pain is often intense..good luck
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    YES! my left hip feels like I am being poked really hard with something sharp when I try leg raises on that side. the other side is fine. I've never had any injuries, so no idea why this happens.
  • jlowensby
    Options
    My left hip kills me! I can't lay on it long at night (and that is my favorite side to lay on) It hurts when I do my lower body workout. And the other night was just killing me! So no it doesn't sound funny at all....

I take tylenol or ibuprofern for it....
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I can't lay on my right hip without a lot of pain. This is the hip that I had bursitis and then a stress fracture in it. It will ache at other times, but hurts to put a lot of pressure on it.
  • Anayalata
    Anayalata Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I also can't lay on my hip. (I'm a guy)

When I'm doing the Ab Ripper X video and that oblique workout move comes up I just stand up and do a different oblique move faster to try to make up for it.

I'm on carpet, but maybe a yoga mat would help?
  • thpeek
    thpeek Posts: 76
    Options
    I can not lay on my left hip at all, full of arthritis and a herniated disc in my low back with bad facet joints makes it also impossible to lay on my back for very long, it makes for very rough sleep at night. I cope with the help of Pain meds (Tramidol & Vicodin), Muscle relaxers (Soma and Flexril), Celebrex for the Arthritis and Lyrica for my nerve pain. So I am really hoping with the loss of 50 pounds (only 33 to go) that I feel better because Chronic pain really sucks, but it could always be something worse, I am blessed that I can walk and stand, some can not even do that.
  • annacataldo
    annacataldo Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    On 9-1-07 I flipped a car 4x and the selt belt buckle jabbed into my right hip. I can no longer lay on that side (and its been 4years. I didn't break any bones, just had blunt force trauma. I can lay on my left hip just fine. Injuries can absolutely stay with u for the rest of ur life, especially broken bones, so don't say it can't be from the break 15years ago, cuz that could definitely. Be a big factor. When I need to lay on my right hip to do certain excercises I lean more onto my butt cheek more, , or lean forward so im not laying directly on the center of my hip.
  • CannibalisticVegetarian
    Options
    See I find this to be a problem too, and it only came about once I lost weight. When I was heavier, I could lie on my side all day, but some time ago during an aerobics class, we were asked to turn onto our sides, and after three seconds of shifting and discomfort, I gave up. There's some kind of bone.. I know there was ALWAYS a bone under all the fat I had before, but now that I can feel it, it's making lounging uncomfortable. Please tell me that this tends to happen, and I shouldn't have myself committed.
  • gazz777
    gazz777 Posts: 722
    Options
    I dont have as much padding there now ... not sure if that is the problem. Sometimes the most obvious.

Otherwise check with a medico.
  • annacataldo
    annacataldo Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    When I'm doing the Ab Ripper X video and that oblique workout move comes up I just stand up and do a different oblique move faster to try to make up for it.

Yes, this!! Someone gave me a tae bo video, but I can't do kicks with my bad hip, so when they are doing the kicking parts I just choose a random excercise and do it in its place..
  • baristanatorLL
    baristanatorLL Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Try doing your leg lifts standing up and using a chair for balance. Sometimes my hips hurt when I do lifts laying down, too, but if you stand up you can still get a good workout. Also you can do leg lifts on your hands and knees. Keep your knee bent and slowly lift it up to the side and down again, then alternate legs.
  • MadeOfMagic
    MadeOfMagic Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Happens to me when I do certain crunches that require me to lay on my hip, it's seems to be bonnier than any part of my body, it totally hurts, its gotten worse since I lost weight, I weigh 170lb so I don't l have plenty of fat but its honestly just not enough fat there especially when putting all the weight on it. It's a very uncomfortable pain but it's normal! It helps to re-situate yourself as much as you can where you feel it the least, sometimes I have to shift unto my *kitten* to save the side of my hips :P
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    I do, if I lay a little on my butt, it helps.