Antidepressants and weight.....Blah

Options
I had successfully lost 50 pounds and kept it off for over 2 years. I am an avid exerciser and eat fairly well. I started experiencing pretty constant anxiety and panic attacks that then lead to some depression. After trying lots of non drug therapy...meditation, hypnosis, relaxation exercises, visualization, reading...homework...counselling.....I went on effexor. It has been 1 year and I am going to be weening off of them next month. Unfortunately with the effects of the drug, it minimizes your anxiety, but I really found that it eliminated will power and the sensation of being full. Thank goodness I forced myself to continue exercising and training because without that I would have packed every pound and then some back on! I am facing a regain of 25 lbs..booboo!! I am hoping that as I quit the drugs my weight will decrease?? Any others with advice or similar experiences?

Replies

• jworkman
    jworkman Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I had successfully lost 50 pounds and kept it off for over 2 years. I am an avid exerciser and eat fairly well. I started experiencing pretty constant anxiety and panic attacks that then lead to some depression. After trying lots of non drug therapy...meditation, hypnosis, relaxation exercises, visualization, reading...homework...counselling.....I went on effexor. It has been 1 year and I am going to be weening off of them next month. Unfortunately with the effects of the drug, it minimizes your anxiety, but I really found that it eliminated will power and the sensation of being full. Thank goodness I forced myself to continue exercising and training because without that I would have packed every pound and then some back on! I am facing a regain of 25 lbs..booboo!! I am hoping that as I quit the drugs my weight will decrease?? Any others with advice or similar experiences?
  • beagle595
    Options
    Yes.. .gained 25 lbs being on Zoloft for 3 months. Weened myself off and got 2mg of Lunesta sleep aid, very low dose to help me sleep.. And I take lots of Vitamin C and at least 3000 IU of Vitamin D every day to fight depression and increase my immune system. I feel great! (I sitll have panic attacks/ my Twin is dealing with cancer and heart problems/ chemo now...And my 3 yr old has Autism ) But I try to make sure I get at least 7 hours of sleep and out in the sunshine and so far I've kept my sanity. Take one day at a time... Good luck, Be Well and God Bless!:flowerforyou: I
  • lulubar
    lulubar Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    So many antidepressants seem to lead to weight gain - but I'm not sure how much of this is a byproduct of the medication vs. the actual condition of depression. Several years ago, I had some weight gain during a year or so of depression, kept the weight through 8 months on Effexor, then weaned off the med and just kept the weight on.... However - I was NOT doing anything to lose the weight - I am just now addressing that - and I post menopausal so that's a whole different set of issues:grumble:

Look back in the archives though, because if I recall correctly, there was recently a thread on antidepressant weight issues.

Good luck:flowerforyou: