Does anyone cut their own hair?

Options
vinylscratch
vinylscratch Posts: 218 Member
I typically wear my bangs straight across -- the rest of my hair is dreadlocks -- but they're down past my glasses so I've been sidesweeping them, which I'm not a huge fan of when they're long because they tend to seperate into chunks. I have a high forehead and like my nice smooth straight bangs. Since my hair started locking I haven't seen a hairdresser because... well, there's no reason to! And they can be kind of snarky when it comes to dreads because they're woefully uninformed. Before that, though, I used to pay 7-8 bucks for someone to trim my bangs for me.

Forget that! I just wanna do it myself! Is it that difficult? Does anyone have any advice? I've heard cutting in snips at an angle is better than going straight across... I'm a little nervous about it!

Replies

• MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    The only people I know that have cut their own hair are salon stylists. I couldn't do it to myself. I have coarse, nappy, high maintenance hair. I'll do a relaxer on my own hair! LOL If you're feeling confident, why not. Hair always grows back. Mine grows like weeds so I' do very "risky" things to it all the time.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Well, not on top.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • mznisaelaine
    mznisaelaine Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    I think you should get it cut by your stylist especially if your feeling nervous about doing it yourself..... I rather pay 7-8 bucks if I'm that nervous to cut my own hair... Better safe than sorry :)
  • cjs3001
    cjs3001 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I used to cut my own hair and it was fine. If you are going to do it you need to do it slowly and a little tiny bit at a time because if you go a bit wrong you can get a professional to cut it and them not be super short. I'd say use sharp scissors, little bits at a time and if you aren't that confident about it I'd leave it and pay someone else to do it :smile:
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Bangs aren't too hard, if your hair is straight and you're going for blunt. Just comb them straight down, and clasp a small section between your first and middle fingers, and cut below your fingers (closer to the ends of your hair than the roots). Cut them a little longer than you think they should be, because a) you're probably overestimating how much you need to trim because even straight hair is a little "springy" and will look shorter after it's cut, and b) if you make a mistake, you can't make it longer, but you can always cut more off. When you do the next section, make sure to have a little bit of the hair you just cut to use as a guide. If it ends up looking too severe, cut it all to the length you want, and then take it in sections and cut it kind of vertically, holding your fingers vertically and just kind of trimming the top layers slightly. It'll soften up that edge.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    Well, not on top.

IDEA Fitness member

rotfl.gif
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Cut my own hair once a week
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    Well, not on top.

IDEA Fitness member

Bwahaha!
  • beduffbrickie
    beduffbrickie Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Yea I have cut my own hair for 8 years, but when you have a skin head it dont take and expert to do it, but one thing I do miss when I used to go when I was 18yrs old is having the lady hairdressers boobies nearly smack me in the face 5 times a minute!:embarassed:
  • vinylscratch
    vinylscratch Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I love this thread... LOL!
  • clintondene
    clintondene Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I do.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I trim mine myself. I haven't been to a salon in over 3 years. (Wow... it's TIME!) But even when I did get it cut professionally, I've been trimming my own bangs for about 25 years.

Bangs are easy, but you have to be careful not to take too much off and end up like Spock. I usually gather up all the fringe by the ends and pull it straight down my nose, so it looks like big Vampire widow's peak on my forehead. (Or Squiggy from Laverne and Shirley), then trim just a tiny bit off the very end. I wear my bangs long, grazing my eyebrows, so when it's pulled taught, it's about a half inch longer than my eyebrows. I tend to snip right where the nose starts to swoop out from the forehead and that gives me the length I like. When it's all pulled into a big V-shape like that and you snip just the end of it, the edges will be slightly longer than the middle. I usually wear mine swept to the sides (my hair curls and doesn't lay straight), so longer on the sides works best for me.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Last time I cut the hair on my head myself, it was crooked. I had to "fix" it which meant cutting more. And more. It was quite short afterwards when it was finally right.

I'm glad some people are able to do it right the first time, but I am not one of those gifted people.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I trim my own bangs because they're in my eyes, but I never manage to cut straight. When its time for a full haircut, though, I just drop the 16 bucks.
  • annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    i cut my hair myself all the time. every one i go to doesnt do it right! if you take the scissors and use them vertically after you trim your bangs and snip a little at a time, they dont look like you have cut them yourself
  • carmenstop1
    carmenstop1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I always trim my own bangs, and the best advice I ever got was from a friend who is a hairdresser. She told me to pull your bangs forward and then twist them and then cut below the twist! I don't know how it works but it turns out way straighter than just cutting them, and they never end up too short either!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I used to. Now I just don't bother getting it cut at all. It's getting on for waist length now.......
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I do. But I'm a guy and I keep it pretty short and military style so it's easy. Been using the same $15 clipper set I bought at Target about 19 years ago. Got my money's worth and think of the $$$ I saved on haircuts!
  • michellegr88
    Options
    Honey, I cut my hair all the time, and if you have normal hair, its hard to mess up. If you do mess up just go have someone fix them, I have a larger forehead too or so I have been told and seen, but I usually cut a little at a time and there is a technique to cutting bangs that makes it look good no matter what but its hard to explain. I am sure you can watch some youtube videos and see what they do. Good luck.
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    I trim mine myself. I haven't been to a salon in over 3 years. (Wow... it's TIME!) But even when I did get it cut professionally, I've been trimming my own bangs for about 25 years.

Bangs are easy, but you have to be careful not to take too much off and end up like Spock. I usually gather up all the fringe by the ends and pull it straight down my nose, so it looks like big Vampire widow's peak on my forehead. (Or Squiggy from Laverne and Shirley), then trim just a tiny bit off the very end. I wear my bangs long, grazing my eyebrows, so when it's pulled taught, it's about a half inch longer than my eyebrows. I tend to snip right where the nose starts to swoop out from the forehead and that gives me the length I like. When it's all pulled into a big V-shape like that and you snip just the end of it, the edges will be slightly longer than the middle. I usually wear mine swept to the sides (my hair curls and doesn't lay straight), so longer on the sides works best for me.

I cut mine, not a stylist, but a stylist told me to section your bangs into a top and bottom layer. Clip back the top and cut the bottom layer first. Then comb the top layer over and trim them. This way, your bangs turn out more evenly, and the bottom will be a little shorter so your bangs curve in a bit. Use sharp scissors that haven't been used for cutting paper, so you don't get fuzzy ends.