heart monitors

Options
I just got a polar heart monitor and there is a huge difference from what myfitness pal says I should have burned and what my exercise heart monitor tells me. about 400 calories difference. I went through my settings again, everything is correct. my fitness pal says I should have burned about 580 calories when I put my exercise in but my heart monitor says I burned 985. Which one do i believe any input would be great! thank you

Replies

• TinaLTaylor79
    TinaLTaylor79 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    My friend got a HRM too recently and her cals burned was way more than what MFP gave her as well... But it seems to working for her....all her different workouts and amount of times seems to give her about the same burn or close to each time on her hrm...so its pretty accurate.
  • iKapuniai
    iKapuniai Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Weird... I always thought MFP was actually the one overestimating. I haven't gotten a HRM yet, but to be safe, I would go with the lower calorie count. Or, if that doesn't work for you or if you think you might obtain too much of a deficit, maybe choose a number somewhere in the middle? *I* would pick the lower count though. :)

Love and Alohas,
    Ihilani Kapuniai
  • Surisaddai
    Surisaddai Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I do not have a hrm, but I would think that would be more accurate since it is measuring your heart rate as you are working out. It is a different amount of calories burned if you are running a mile on an incline than if you are just running on a flat surface. I would think the hrm would be more accurate, if not take an average of the two to be on the safe side.
  • annes656192
    Options
    Go with your HRM. I am a spinning instructor and your HRM takes a lot more into consideration like your age, HR, gender. MFP like treadmills take what is based on the average persons weight.
  • Nanadena
    Nanadena Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    My Polar is the direct opposite. I can work out for 90 minutes sweating till I drip and I might burn 250 calories according to it? I am very disappointed with it.
  • lelliebugh
    lelliebugh Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Are you using a chest strap? If not get one bc other electronic devices can cause just the watches to go crazy.
  • cinditree
    cinditree Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    The HRM should be more acurate for you and your individual info. MFP can only guess how much and exercize gets your heart pumping, and we can err when telling how vigorous the activity is. The HRM should be closer to how hard you are really working. But nothing is perfect.
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    mine was opposite, mine shows way less then MFP....
  • monchand
    monchand Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone, and yes I use the chest strap. :smile:
  • monchand
    monchand Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Go with your HRM. I am a spinning instructor and your HRM takes a lot more into consideration like your age, HR, gender. MFP like treadmills take what is based on the average persons weight.

I LOVE SPINNING!!!! I burn so much when I spin