Upper, lower, then total body?

Options
Lyadeia
Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
Just curious what you guys think of a routine that I stumbled upon while going through bodybuilding.com.

Currently I am doing 3 days of total body weight lifting routines, and I was going to start doing a split routine (upper/lower) after about a month or so of progressing. I was planning on doing either 3 days or 4 days a week (with 3 days, the first week would be U, L, U and the second L, U, L and so on). And then I found this one:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/guides/female-20to39-fat-loss/training

It's 3 days a week, the first day is upper only, the second day is lower only, and then the third day is total body.

What are the pros/cons of splitting it up like that? I've never really seen it like that, I've only seen strictly total body or strictly split routine. What would the repercussions be for recovery? Should I adjust the weights and reps on the total body day?

I was personally thinking that maybe it could be used as a stepping stone between total body routines and split routines. I was also thinking that the weights should be heavier with fewer reps on the first 2 days (like around 6 reps or so) with the total body day being slightly lighter weight around the 10 rep mark or so. Or would that be wrong?

Replies

• Shredded2011
    Options
    yes it seems like a good idea. I'd do the lower, then the upper, then total body.
    Get a pro to look at your diet as a bodybuilder is made in the kitchen. You can email my trainer if you want and he'll have a look at it for you, or i'll ask him.

I do 2 total body W/o's per week then one session to bring the rest of my weaknesses up.

Diets so importnat for fat loss.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what the pros/cons are, but it's kind of what I'm starting to do.

I'll do upper one day, lower one day and then see my trainer for a total body workout the third day.. I want to say as far as recovery, it's like anything else. Give a day or two days between muscle groups and you'll be ok.. I don't really think it would be affected that heavily.

As far as reps and weight, I don't really know. I mean I don't see why you couldn't do heavier weights on the total body day if you gave the proper recovery time.
  • JamesBurkes
    JamesBurkes Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Sounds good to me.

If I was following that routine, I'd probably do upper and lower on Monday and Tuesday, have a couple of days off then hit total on Friday. Then, of course you have another two days off over the weekend. Seems like enough rest to me.
  • Shredded2011
    Options
    Sounds good to me.

If I was following that routine, I'd probably do upper and lower on Monday and Tuesday, have a couple of days off then hit total on Friday. Then, of course you have another two days off over the weekend. Seems like enough rest to me.

Yes thats a good idea - then if you get bored you can go do another session too !!
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone!