The great Calorie debate....

Options
I started this thread to get opinions about what we all strive for: to lose weight, get fit and feel good about ourselves. When we discuss calories in versus calories out; or eating back exercise calories; or how much is enough of eating and exercise; or why this works for one person and why that doesn't for another, well we sometimes forget that each and everyone of us is a unique person.

So much more goes into it than just calories: genetics (why one sister/brother is heavy while another is not); changing metabolisms over time (age, motherhood - sorry guys); and stress factors, including emotional issues. I'm not at all saying we cannot overcome these individual obstacles because I know we can - all of us. That brings me back to my point that what works for one person may not work for another so its important to figure out what works for you. You know your own body better than anyone else and yeah, it may take some time to figure out what does work with alot of trial and error.

So, in recognition of all the support and great advice here on MFP, be patient with yourselves, keep trying, love the fact that you are YOU, and always believe in yourselves!

Replies

• asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    While I believe genetics and other factors do play a role in weight loss, I tend to believe it's a minor one. All the examples you gave can be explained by calories in/out...

Why one sister/brother is heavy while another is not: one is eating more or is less active
    Changing metabolisms over time (age, motherhood - sorry guys): I've read a few interesting articles on this subject and what they pointed out is that people were becoming less and less active with age (desk jobs, less time to exercise, muscle loss...) which explained the low metabolism/weight gain. Motherhood also means life changes that contribute to weight gain (less time to exercise, finishing kids' plate, making "kids friendly" dishes)
    Stress factors, including emotional issues: again, emotional eating means eating more thus it's still a matter of calories!

So yes, in the end, it's all about calories. Eat less, exercise more...
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,963 Member
    Options
    All of the characteristics of each individual that make losing weight a different challenge is accounted for on the outside of the energy balance equation. These differences are also hard to track and is the reason for the confusion with online BMR equation calculators and the #1 reason why we see people say "but I'm different" and the calculator doesn't work. If people actually monitored their food intake properly and monitored their weight for a month before dieting and found their maintenance calories (TDEE), then all the confusion would be negated.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    That brings me back to my point that what works for one person may not work for another so its important to figure out what works for you. You know your own body better than anyone else and yeah, it may take some time to figure out what does work with alot of trial and error.

This right here is the key to everything, I believe.

Yes, there is the science of dieting, or the mathematics of it, which is how it seems to me. And yes, that is what it comes down to in the end... but most people simply don't relate well to the numbers, or are unable to 'just do it'. So a the little random, 'meaningless' stuff that make it different for each of us, are really important.

Probably since childhood I've known HOW to lose weigh. I just haven't been able to put it into practice. And I didn't have some grand epiphany or a 'click' moment that kicked me into being able to do it. I just happened to finally find the right tool for my mindset, to help me do the things I should have been doing, and knew to do, for years.
  • grace1611
    Options
    You are so right , I went to slimming world followed the instructions to the latter and gained 6lbs in the first week and 4lbs the next week. ,During that time I counted calories I kept under1200 even though I was told there was no need. Turns out I can,t lose weight on a high protein diet. It is just what works for you. Now I eat as much home cooked food as possible, I never eat anything deep fried . I make fresh soup every day. I try to eat as much fruit and veg as possible................................................................................. I wish I knew how to turn that switch in my brain that makes you make the right choices. ...........................................................................................The way people in Ireland are judged over weight by the doctor is by the waist under 32"for a women is ok . and its under 37" for a man if you measure over that you are put on a diet ,or told to lose weight.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    All of the characteristics of each individual that make losing weight a different challenge is accounted for on the outside of the energy balance equation. These differences are also hard to track and is the reason for the confusion with online BMR equation calculators and the #1 reason why we see people say "but I'm different" and the calculator doesn't work. If people actually monitored their food intake properly and monitored their weight for a month before dieting and found their maintenance calories (TDEE), then all the confusion would be negated.

Exactly

and here you go...
    All over the internet, on forums dedicated to everything from weight loss to muscle gain, people will loudly argue that they are different. “My metabolism is different.”, “My nervous system is different”, “My muscles are different”, things of that sort. Everyone is a unique and delicate flower, just like their mom told them.

This usually follows them explaining why the good advice that others have used can’t possibly work for them. They are also usually the ones making no progress who won’t even consider trying something else. THEY. ARE. DIFFERENT.

Individuals who have a lot of fat to lose either think that they can magically gain weight eating only a few hundred calories per day, or that they can lose weight just by rearranging their food in some special way. Because their metabolism is different.

Diets play on this of course, hiding the simple fact that they are causing you to eat less in a complicated pseudoscience of macronutrient ratios and such. But there is never any magic to be had when you look at these books critically: it all comes down to making the person eat less, exercise more, or both. It’s just hidden in complex schemes and pseudo-physiology.

Before you think I’m just coming down on overweight individuals, let me say that bodybuilders and athletes want to magically gain muscle and lose fat with a similar rearrangement of nutrients. That by adding some magical nutrient (usually an overpriced supplement) will make them start gaining muscle (or losing fat) without changing the dynamics of the energy balance equation. In the same way diet books play on the frailties of overweight individuals, supplement companies play on the frailties of the athletes telling them to “Use this product if you aren’t gaining” when the real problem lies with the diet or training program.

In short: you can’t beat thermodynamics anymore than anything else in the universe. You. Are. Not. Different. You can’t gain bodymass unless your energy intake exceeds your energy output because you can’t make something out of nothing (muscle or fat). And you can’t lose bodymass unless your energy intake is less than your energy ouput. These are rules that every system in the universe has to follow, including the human body. Nature’s rules, not mine to quote the all-knowing Mr. Miyagi. We may not like them, but we have to live by them anyway.

the rest of the article at the link

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/you-are-not-different.html
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    Great post!

I do believe that calorie partitioning and genetic inheritance play a big part in body composition.

hmmm... I thought it was "you are a beautiful and unique snowflake" ? :wink:
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Being overweight has nothing to do with having a slow metabolism.
  • thecrossfitter
    thecrossfitter Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I think what you do is far less important than simply sticking to whatever you do! People will find different strategies work best for them. I say when you find what works for you, good for you! Be it with what foods you favor and how often and when you exercise. If you loathe running pick something different! There are so many options :)
    While I believe genetics and other factors do play a role in weight loss, I tend to believe it's a minor one.
    Changing metabolisms over time (age, motherhood - sorry guys): I've read a few interesting articles on this subject and what they pointed out is that people were becoming less and less active with age (desk jobs, less time to exercise, muscle loss...) which explained the low metabolism/weight gain.

To supplement: "This can also happens as we age, as the muscle we built by running, jumping, and playing in our childhood and teens atrophies due to under-use with a more sedentary life, so people in their early twenties are seen as having “high metabolisms”, supposedly not having to work to maintain lean body shapes. This “high metabolism” is because the muscle they built in their teen years is burning excess calories and fat, and with the low body fat levels, you can see their “toned” muscle underneath. However, as they take day jobs and do not stimulate their bodies, their muscles atrophy, burning less calories and thereby lowering their “high metabolism” and leading to increased body fat as they age. Usually, people try to do “more cardio” to regain their lean, toned bodies that they had when they were younger. However, since they do nothing to build new muscle or maintain their current muscle, they slowly transition to a thin, but “skinny fat”, look as they age."

For a long time I thought my metabolism was slowing, and then I read this and many other similar research bits. I found increasing my movement "raised my metabolism" back! Hooray! Running helped me some, but for my body it only got me so far. For my body, I found lifting to be the best, as it's working my previously atrophied muscles!

I wish that all my MFP find what works for them!
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    ^^^ That's one of the articles I was referring to! Thanks!
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    For a long time I thought my metabolism was slowing, and then I read this and many other similar research bits. I found increasing my movement "raised my metabolism" back! Hooray! Running helped me some, but for my body it only got me so far. For my body, I found lifting to be the best, as it's working my previously atrophied muscles!

I wish that all my MFP find what works for them!

Nice! :smile: