People who were out of shape how did you start?

Options
Hi everyone,
I am pretty out of shape and am trying to start working out. I went to a body sculpting class and an aerobics class. After the body sculpting class, I was in pain for 2 whole weeks! It makes it very difficult to continue going to class regularly when I can barely move. Those who are in shape now, how did you start?

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Baby steps. Trying to take on too much too soon usually leads to pain, injury and disappointment. Gotta learn to walk before you run, so just start off with a basic lifting program on your own (or with a trainer) and 30 minutes or cardio to start.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    Embrace what ninerbuff wrote. Go slowly. Rome wasn't built in a day and going from sedentary to running a 5k won't either - or whatever your fitness goals are.
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Baby steps is right. I don't have the time to spend in transit to a gym so I workout at home, I started with a manual treadmill, lol, I could barely do .25 of a mile. Now I can do a full turbo jam workout whenever I have enough time, do the advanced stuff on the Wii fit, and lots of strength training. In it for the long haul so going slow in increasing the time so I don't get too sore, I'm always a bit sore but not in pain sore. Easy to tolerate and keep going for that next few reps.
  • gentsevetzak
    gentsevetzak Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I started with a slow C25K, worked great.
  • flausa
    flausa Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I started out walking and doing simple stretches, then moved up to power walking and a bit of resistence training using my own body weight (which was considerably more than it it now). Then I started running and then I joined a gym. But I did what I was able to at the time and slowly and steadily started pushing myself a little bit further. Much to my amazement, my body had more to give than I ever thought imaginable. But I started simply by moving my feet a little bit further every day.
  • webfootcajun
    Options
    i started walking my street in the evening, as fast as I could comfortablly walk. I also did crunches, squats and pushups in my house (no weights on the squats) just to get the body used to doing things again. It took a while and I was sore just from the little I was doing>>>at first. but it gets better, then start adding to it once you get everything mobile again.

Good Luck!
  • MisterDubs303
    MisterDubs303 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I started by walking on the treadmill, and increased the incline over time.
    I'd say it worked: RHR = 44 bpm and -90 pounds.
  • mistresseeyore
    mistresseeyore Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I started by playing on the Wii Fit Board, and then when I got used to being active, I moved on to other things. It just started progressing from there.
  • turningstar
    turningstar Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I actually started with the 30 day shred. I wanted a jump start, and it has worked great! Not for everyone though. It can be intense.
  • Katie5961
    Katie5961 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I also started with couch 2 5k. It's an amazing program! I feel off the wagon though for a really long time and needed to jump start myself. I don't recommend what I did! I jumped right into Beachbody's Insanity program after doing nothing for months. Definitely need some warmup before that one! Go slow, you don't want to risk injury or burnout! Just make sure you pick something that engages you and keeps you wanting to come back for more.
  • ncsjodi
    ncsjodi Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I started with the 30 day shred as well. From there, I went to C25K and zumba. That was 90 pounds ago. :)
  • brandimacleod
    brandimacleod Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I started with walks, that got longer and longer, and then I decided to try jogging a bit in front of the TV, and now I run a slow 2 miles a day, 5 days a week. I started July 6th and have lost 51 lbs with 100 more to go. Truly, baby steps is right. I didnt just get up one day in July and run. It has taken 5 months to get to this point, and I still have a long, long way to go!
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    I started out almost 200 lbs and had never ever been in shape. I was a cheerleader in high school but that doesn't mean I had real endurance. I could cheer for hours straight but I couldn't even run a mile. I began exercise at 23 and I just went out one day and started a walk/jog routine of 2 miles. I walked most of it, but each day I could tell I could jog a little further. When I didn't run or wanted to change it up, I would go to the elliptical for 30 mins at first and working up to 45 min-1 hr. You just have to keep at it.

One thing I also want to point out is that the next day or 2 after exercise you are really sore, but if you exercise it releases your muscles and makes them feel better. Don't overdo yourself, just start small with whatever you can do. It gets easier and easier with time :) Good luck!
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    Lots of great advice in the posts above. You might also try some yoga, a slower moving, gentle style/class. :smile:
  • janet_pratt
    janet_pratt Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    What ninerbuff said. I was 285 and hadn't done anything active in several years. I started out at Curves, then when that was too easy moved to a regular gym. I started riding a bike around my neighborhood. I thought I was really something when I did a 5 mile round trip. My knees were shot and I had all kinds of back problems. Walking to the end of the driveway made me out of breath.

That's where I started. Today I don't take my bike out for less than 20 miles. I do metric century rides (about 62 miles) one Saturday out every month from Spring through fall. I was supposed to do a full 100 mile century last October but was hospitalized for observation (nothing wrong) the day before and they wouldn't clear me for it, so I started running that weekend instead, and competed in my first 5K at the end of the month. I did another one last weekend. I joined a crossfit class in November and the woman I share the weight station with has been there for a year. 2 weeks ago we were doing deadlifts, lifting heavy. 5 sets of varying reps. We were on our heaviest weight doing 5 reps and she put a bunch of weight on the bar and said I would probably want to take a little off on my turn. She could only get out 4 of the 5 reps and barely got the 4th one up. I knocked out 5 without stopping. She looked at me and said, "Good Lord, you're strong!" I take aikido and ballroom dance. I'm training for a triathlon sprint in July and there is a MFP half marathon in March that I'm going to start training for to see if I think I can do it. My knees and back are a lot better. Running can be hard on your knees and if they were still in the same shape, I wouldn't be able to do it. My chiropractor said if I hadn't gotten active when I did, I would probably be in a wheelchair or at the very least using a walker. I turned 50 on November 17th. So believe me, if I can do this, so can you. But it all started at a goofy, girly workout center, just getting things moving.
  • Vino81
    Vino81 Posts: 16
    Options
    I am just kicking-off with "power walking" at the gym, they work very good for out of shape people (i.e. me!) I do intevalls, sometimes I do light jogging, then up-hill walking, and I switch between many modes on the machine! Good luck!
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    First off there is a saying that I love (first before I tell you this saying, I am still not into shape but I'm on my way and I am in a lot better shape then I was 2 years ago.)

"It hurts to look this good, I'm in pain every day"

It's hard to be fat, it's hard to be out of shape, it's hard to be in shape, it's hard to workout, it's hard to eat right, pick your hard. If you're not sore, you aren't doing it right.

Basically how I started was, with baby steps. I started on my Wii. I started doing the aerobics on there. It got boring, so I stepped up to Just dance 2's just sweat it. It got bored when I started memorizing the dances. Then I went to zumba, I still break a sweat in that, I still break a sweat in Just dance, I quit all that, I started walking. I started walking 2 laps (1 mile). I'm now up to 6laps (3 miles). I'm about to start jogging it. Or trying to. I've been doing the 30 day shred. You just have to build yourself up. I'm sore every day. My legs right now are sore, my shoulder blades are sore, my abs are really sore, but I can see why, my body is changing and I love what I'm seeing :). That's a first for me, I've never loved what I've seen on me lol.
  • RieBerg
    RieBerg Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I heard about the 30 day shred. Were you able to do it everyday? It sounds like I would be sore for a week after doing that. I know gilina says to do it 6 days a week, but do you think thats reasonable?
  • RieBerg
    RieBerg Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I am thinking about going to a Zumba class, but after looking like an idiot in the aerobics class by not being able to keep up, I am worried about dance classes. I am pretty uncoordinated. Do they switch moves really fast in zumba?
  • taramaureen
    taramaureen Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5k. It brings up your endurance slowly. After I was done with it I added in weights, started another program for running.