For all those men that bust the gut!

Options
Looking for some inspiration and motivation I guess from here from all those men on here that lost the beer belly. Its the one thing I'd love to get rid of tomorrow if I could but it's going to take time.

So for all those who did it I salute you! :)

Would be great to hear from those who did it, and any tips of exercise, eating, time scales etc that you may want to share so I can get myself looking amazing once again!

Share your pics!

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    1) Eat at a moderate caloric deficit.
    2) Lift weights, heavy, using mostly compound movements.
    3) Consume adequate macronutrients
    4) Get rest
    5) Be consistent
    6) Stop micromanaging all the other crap that doesn't matter.
  • MattArcade
    MattArcade Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    sidesteal did you miss point 7) stop drinking alcohol? Will be changing my beginner weight programme from weight machines to free weights from next week so hoping this will move things in the right direction.
    At the minute I'm spending an hour in the gym 4 times a week, 2 cardio days and 2 weight days - is this enough?
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    sidesteal did you miss point 7) stop drinking alcohol? Will be changing my beginner weight programme from weight machines to free weights from next week so hoping this will move things in the right direction.
    At the minute I'm spending an hour in the gym 4 times a week, 2 cardio days and 2 weight days - is this enough?

No, because I don't think you need to abstain from alcohol in order to succeed.

You may choose to for other reasons, but occasional drinking is perfectly fine if you can practice moderation.

You can make some progress with 2 days of weights and 2 cardio. Your success will be largely driven by your diet. As you lean out you may need to add another day of weights, and with 2/week I'd recommend a full body program.
  • MattArcade
    Options
    Thank you will ask for a full body work out with compound workouts - sometimes if my arms ache too much on weight days i'll finish off with some cardio to ensure i get as much time in as possible. My diet is as clean as I can get it now with nothing processed and as much veg, fruit and protein as possible.
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    My huge blob of lard was 44 inches in the waste - disgusting!

I am now 36 heading to 32, and it's been hard, hard, hard. The key is slow, steady weight loss with accompanying drops in body fat.

I went from 33% down to 19% - weight from 262 to 199 - and I still have some belly to lose - ALMOST THERE!
  • MattArcade
    Options
    bobby your just a legend..fact! you should be my personal e-trainer!
  • jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    I still got somewhat of a gut, I went from 376.4 to 198, most of the gut I have now is from loose skin though. The loose skin has been going down some since I started weight training though. When I wore pants properly at my belly button, my waist was 62" now I am in 36" pants, almost to 34". I workout 6 days a week. 2 days of all cardio, 2 days of mostly weights with a little cardio to start, and 2 days of 50/50 weights and cardio.
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    You are doing well - we're all in this together.
  • MattArcade
    Options
    have a review with my gym instructor tomorrow to get onto the free weights finally to mix things up more, hopefully this will be what I need!
  • trentnivins
    trentnivins Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Ok I started in middle of june, I do the following

1. control my food portions fairly strictly
    2. exercise every day (unless I am sick)
    3. track my calories with this app be faithful to it ( I try to be just under my calorie goal by around 100 to 200 everyday)
    4. read the label on your foods, groceries, etc!

the big thing I have found is the portion control, north american portions and servings are way too big!
    I have lost 57 pounds, and two pant sizes so far!
  • HOSED49
    HOSED49 Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I was at around 215 when I started, am at 196 now
    Bumped my cardio up alot which in turn fro me sacrifices some strength...but I am beyond caring what I bench press
    Started utilizing tons of interval workouts
    Alot of Crossfit style but adjusted to our weight room and whats accesible
    Granted we still do some of the prescribed crossfit workouts but changed some to fit our career field
    workouts usually last for an hour or hour and a half
    intervals are followed by ab work
    bumped my protein up
    Burn 800-900 cals a day

Obviously the key to me is dropping the bodyfat which in turn shows your definition. Right now I'm at around 12% according to the handy dandy hand held monitor. It takes time..log your foods,watch your protein intakes make sure you get enough to replenish the muscles your breaking down, dont get frustrated they will appear
  • MattArcade
    Options
    I'm happy as I have lost 2% body fat already after about 2 and half weeks. I was at 27%. All of this is around my waist.

Last week I was in the gym 6 times for an hour or hour and half if on weights. But try to mix things up and try different things to mix things up a little. My diet is full on protein and sticking to veg, fruit and white meat turkey/chicken.

Hopefully this will get better as time goes by...
  • getfitdiva
    getfitdiva Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    My hubby's belly disappeared in about 6 mths. He started with 30-day shred and ran 2 miles a day. Then he replaced all his snacks (he's a chip lover) with blueberries and stopped drinking juice. He would only drink water and protein shakes and an occasional red wine on the weekend. That was in 2009 since then he has gotten a more chiseled ab area and lost so many inches after doing a p90x/Insanity hybrid for 90 days. He continues cardio (running 2-5 miles and stepmill about 2-3xs a week) then he lifts heavy the remainder of the week isolating 2 muscle groups - example (legs and back). He strives for a 1K calorie burn. He incorporates fiber a couple times a week by eating a whole bowl of fiber one cereal with almond milk. Hope this helps! I'm digging his results! :happy:

He always says beer and pizza are men's weakness - overcome that and the belly will disappear!
  • MattArcade
    Options
    Great thanks for the advice will have to step up my cardio!
  • MattArcade
    Options
  • MattArcade
    Options
  • MattArcade
    Options