Lower Abs

Options
I have been focusing on my abs recently and its so hard to work my lower abs. Even when i do workouts targeted for my lower abs i feel it in my upper abs. Any really good workouts for the lower abs, with the correct form. thank you, i appreciate it! :)

Replies

• AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Try Tae Bo Insane Abs.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    You can try planks, side planks, leg raises, reverse crunches.. all should target the lower abs.

What would be even better is to do exercises that incorporate using the abs as a stabilizer(Ie free weight exercises).. that way you'll be engaging them the whole time, and won't have to do a lot of isolated exercises.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Lay on the ground and lift your legs up. If this is too easy, lift your arms up too. I had a trainer once tell me that lifting your legs up like that is good for the lower abs.
  • ConnieM20
    ConnieM20 Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    ok thank you all :)
  • llm12
    llm12 Posts: 49
    Options
    Jillian Michaels has some great lower ab exercises. Her six week six pack will make you feel the burn, as well as her No More Trouble Zones.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Planks are really good for this.
  • juls262
    Options
    I don't know what it's called, but when you hold yourself up and raise your knees to your chest- those are killer
  • PepeGreggerton
    PepeGreggerton Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I don't know what it's called, but when you hold yourself up and raise your knees to your chest- those are killer

Mountain Climbers
  • PepeGreggerton
    Options
    Renegade Rows, Mountain Climbers, Planks...
  • PepeGreggerton
    Options
    My all time favorite ab exercise is the "full contact twist."
  • juliecat1
    juliecat1 Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    stability ball engages more of your core at the same time. There are lots of variations you can do on that. And PLANKS!
  • pupcamper
    pupcamper Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Try Jorge Cruise 8 minute moves - he shows you how to do exercises for all 4 areas of you stomach! You might not know you had 4 different muscle groups but you will!! lol
  • Luthorcrow
    Options
    I have been focusing on my abs recently and its so hard to work my lower abs. Even when i do workouts targeted for my lower abs i feel it in my upper abs. Any really good workouts for the lower abs, with the correct form. thank you, i appreciate it! :)

Let me let you in on a little secret, there is no such thing as upper or lower ab work. They are not separate muscles like deltoids and biceps. Your abs really are one continuous sheet of muscles from your groin to your pectorals. They simple do not isolate. Anyone telling you otherwise is either misinformed or selling snake oil. It would helpful to know what ab exercises you are doing and have done, so we can offer some good suggestions.

I think the thing to remember is always do a back exercise for every ab exercise you do otherwise you will have strong abs and a weak lower back which leaves you body unbalanced and actually weakens your back even more. Also, every exercise is a core exercise. Your abs are getting work throughout a workout. 1 or 2 ab exercises is more than enough for most programs. Overworking your abs won't make your stomach flatter and will actually burn less calories then focusing on multi-joint functional exercises that will burn more calories, still work your abs and give a better burn.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Let me let you in on a little secret, there is no such thing as upper or lower ab work. They are not separate muscles like deltoids and biceps. Your abs really are one continuous sheet of muscles from your groin to your pectorals. They simple do not isolate. Anyone telling you otherwise is either misinformed or selling snake oil. It would helpful to know what ab exercises you are doing and have done, so we can offer some good suggestions.

I think the thing to remember is always do a back exercise for every ab exercise you do otherwise you will have strong abs and a weak lower back which leaves you body unbalanced and actually weakens your back even more. Also, every exercise is a core exercise. Your abs are getting work throughout a workout. 1 or 2 ab exercises is more than enough for most programs. Overworking your abs won't make your stomach flatter and will actually burn less calories then focusing on multi-joint functional exercises that will burn more calories, still work your abs and give a better burn.
    Very good post. While you may "feel" your the lower/upper portion of abs during an exercise, it's true that you can't really isolate a section of them.
    When I see other trainers having their clients work on Bosu, or stability balls and telling them "you're working your core more", I always smirk under my breath. Squats, deadlifts, or any upright compound movement with heavy poundages FORCE you to contract your abs and "core" more than any unstable surface. I get asked all the time about my ab work, and honestly I do very little direct work (maybe 10 minutes every other week) because of all the compound movements and kickboxing I do.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options

The deltoids and biceps are different muscles, because the deltoid is the muscle in the shoulder and the bicep is the muscle in the front upper arm and tricep is the muscle in the back upper arm.

How many muscles does the abdomen has and why don't they isolate?
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options

Very good post. While you may "feel" your the lower/upper portion of abs during an exercise, it's true that you can't really isolate a section of them.
    When I see other trainers having their clients work on Bosu, or stability balls and telling them "you're working your core more", I always smirk under my breath. Squats, deadlifts, or any upright compound movement with heavy poundages FORCE you to contract your abs and "core" more than any unstable surface. I get asked all the time about my ab work, and honestly I do very little direct work (maybe 10 minutes every other week) because of all the compound movements and kickboxing I do.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I just assume they're doing what sells rather than bothering about results.
  • kouzzzz
    kouzzzz Posts: 540 Member
    Options

I love the P90X - Ab Ripper X and Core