Big Scare / Major set back

Options
So i have now set myself back yet once again :( - so tired of failing at this. I was doing soooo good and then that dreaded phone call came in....

I went to the Dr about a month ago for a regular yearly "exam".... w/in 2 weeks I got "that" phone call.... " I am sorry to tell you but I need you to come back in as soon as you can b/c we didn't get enough sample to do an accurate test." i made an appointment for the very next day and go in to see my Dr. I said okay what in gods name is going on. She said we need to re-check you for cervical cancer....my heart sunk. With that being said I fell off the wagon. I was soooooo worried about what these results were going to be and had a million things running through my head, that the last thing on my mind was "logging my food".

The good news is starting tomorrow my life begins and I get back on the RIGHT track....the GREAT news is the Dr called me yesterday ...... I am cancer free!!!!!!!!!!! test results came back A okay.

All that worrying has severly set me back basically to the beginning of when I started....easily put back on 6 lbs or so.

Just thought I would share both failure and success being healthy.

Thanks for all who read :)

Replies

• ashnm88
    ashnm88 Posts: 748
    Options
    Glad your cancer free. Just jump back on the wagon and start moving and eating right. You'll be back to where you were in no time at all. :smile:
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Life brings us ups and downs. Sounds like you needed to put the focus in other areas of your life.

Six pounds is a small price to pay for knowing you are cancer-free. Glad to hear you are healthy, the pounds will come off - welcome back :)
  • sagetracey
    sagetracey Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry for your big scare but it's great that you are cancer-free and doubly great that you are back into MFP and taking control of your health.
  • CannibalisticVegetarian
    Options
    Damn the calorie counting for now. You can get back on the track any day and resume your strive towards a better life. First priority is feeling super stupendous for you being cancer free. Also, I'm terribly sorry that you had to go through a scare like that. I'm sure it wasn't a walk in the park.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    At the risk of being out of line, you might want to work on communication with your doctor (or maybe your doctor needs to work on communication with her patients). Having to retake a test because of a poor quality sample is not something you need to freak out about, it happens. When they call you to tell you your sample was abnormal and now they want you to come back in so they can cut out part of your cervix (typically without anesthetic) that's MAYBE the time to freak out. Good to hear you're healthy though!
  • Play_outside
    Play_outside Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Yikes, how terrifying! How great though that you do not have cancer! Now that you don't have that stress hanging over your head, you will be able to concentrate on other things, such as eating healthy and getting exercise. Congratulations on the good news!
  • stevemcqueengirl
    stevemcqueengirl Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Glad to hear that the test results came back to reveal that you are cancer free. Remember a setback is an opportunity for a comeback.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    At the risk of being out of line, you might want to work on communication with your doctor (or maybe your doctor needs to work on communication with her patients). Having to retake a test because of a poor quality sample is not something you need to freak out about, it happens. When they call you to tell you your sample was abnormal and now they want you to come back in so they can cut out part of your cervix (typically without anesthetic) that's MAYBE the time to freak out. Good to hear you're healthy though!

I should have probably added that my point wasn't to be critical, just to say that sometimes you have to push doctors a little to get the information you need for your health, don't be afraid to ask questions.
  • ValMcB
    ValMcB Posts: 44
    Options
    We live on average 30,000 days, I don't think you should beat yourself up for 14 of them!
    Finding out there is no cancer would be worth 20lbs off the wagon! And make that heavy on the desserts!
    I gained 3lbs just on Thanksgiving, I then worked a little harder at taking it back off. All part of life.
    The important thing is you are cancer free and have lots of those 30,000 days left to enjoy!
  • pekemom
    Options
    So happy your results were good. Just start anew and don't look back. You will immediately feel better! Good luck.
  • EricNCSU
    EricNCSU Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Hey.. life happens. Thankfully it was a good result. :) You are looking at for your health and that's what matters!
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    Don't let the set back get to you. It happens, and it's great that you're fine and ready to get down to it again.

Something to know though, unless your doc specifically says that it's a serious concern, a call back like that is rarely a big deal and happens to most women at one point or another. My doc and the place that does the breast cancer screening hand out info about recalls as a matter of course because they don't want people to over react to a common occurrence. I'm not saying you did because, god knows, anything that suggests cancer is scary as heck, but if your doc didn't clarify in detail, it's always good to ask 'how much should I be worrying right about now?'