colon cleanse

Options
has anyone ever done one of these? if so what did you try how did it work and any side effects?

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    I clean my colon at least 3 times a day..........................while I read in the bathroom!:laugh:

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • directorj
    directorj Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't recommend it although I have not tried it. Your body can cleanse itself pretty well.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I haven't done it. My sister tried one. That cleanse suggested that you have a few days where you can be close to a bathroom at all times. Based on the reports from her son, you may want to make sure that bathroom is somewhere private. She ended up getting really sick when she reintroduced alcohol to her diet. Even adding in other foods that hadn't been on the cleanse caused her problems. All in all, not too pretty.

You don't need to do a colon cleanse. Eat good food with lots of fiber and your body will cleanse itself.

Here is a great article someone else here posted on a similar topic. You should give it a read before considering one.
    http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/index.php/colon-cleanses-a-load-of-you-know-what/
  • nygiantschick
    nygiantschick Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Ive done it before and didn't really have any side effects other than don't even think about leaving the house afterwards. As long as you are eating enough fiber and drinking your water the colon should be cleaned out daily (and like one person stated possibly even more than once a day!). unless you have some kind of medical condition which prohibits that then see a doc....hope it all {"works out").
  • ashnm88
    ashnm88 Posts: 748
    Options
    I've never tried one, and never will. I get enough fibre that I go at least once a day.
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    There is bsolutely no reason to do this unless you have an impaction.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    You don't need to do anything like that. The only "science" behind it is the crap that the sellers make up in their "clinical lab tests" to try to sell it to you.

Your body will cleanse itself. That's what your kidneys and liver are good for. They function at their best when you are eating healthy foods (not overly processed junk food) and drinking plenty of water.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    Only for medical purposes.
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I hate those adverts that claim that matter becomes lodged in the colon and stays there for years. That is such a crock of...well, of ****. Literally.

Things do not get stuck in there. Your intestines are like a garden hose, only one way out, no waiting.
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    If you pay attention, most "cleanses" are really just laxatives. It's not a good habit to get into.
  • Li_Willi
    Li_Willi Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I've done them and have had really good success with them. The one I use is really gentle and you're not running to the bathroom like you do when you've had an enema or something like that. I used Dr Natura's colonix powder. Only side effect was I felt a lot better after having used it.
  • hipsgalore
    hipsgalore Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    my husband and I have done the master cleanse twice. also known as "the lemonade diet" It is rough the first 3 days, then after that we felt better than ever. It really helped me relieve constipation and it is natural. No medications or supplements are used just lemons, spring water, organic maple syrup, sea salt, and senna laxatives. I can't speak for on the market colon cleansers, but this cleanse felt so natural and it works.
  • k2quiere
    k2quiere Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    For a much more enjoyable "cleanse", I suggest KFC.
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    The only time you ABSOLUTELY have to do this, is for a colonoscopy or surgery. Otherwise don't waste your time and energy. It does ABSOLUTELY nothing to aide in weight loss, or dietary improvement. Except it does make your wallet lighter!
  • turningstar
    turningstar Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Your body is well designed to cleanse itself of impurities. Detoxing and colon cleansing are not necessary, unless a doctor prescribes such treatment.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    The only time you ABSOLUTELY have to do this, is for a colonoscopy or surgery. Otherwise don't waste your time and energy. It does ABSOLUTELY nothing to aide in weight loss, or dietary improvement. Except it does make your wallet lighter!
    This.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • supaflyjoy
    supaflyjoy Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Actually, your body can only cleanse itself to a certain point. Yeah, your liver and colon are your body's tools for cleansing, but over the years they can get slowed down by toxins, soda, fast food, paint, exhaust, stress ect. These toxins eventually begin to build up and end up being stored as fat cells because your body doesn't know what to do with them. It's healthy to do a cleanse! http://www.thelemonadesite.com/
    I tried about 5 years ago and literally felt 10 years younger, my skin cleared up, head aches went away, lost 15 lbs, and it taught me to crave healthy foods and eat smaller portions. I am going to do it again the day after Christmas.
  • supaflyjoy
    supaflyjoy Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    PS My homeopathic dr recommended it!
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Actually, your body can only cleanse itself to a certain point. Yeah, your liver and colon are your body's tools for cleansing, but over the years they can get slowed down by toxins, soda, fast food, paint, exhaust, stress ect. These toxins eventually begin to build up and end up being stored as fat cells because your body doesn't know what to do with them. It's healthy to do a cleanse! http://www.thelemonadesite.com/
    I tried about 5 years ago and literally felt 10 years younger, my skin cleared up, head aches went away, lost 15 lbs, and it taught me to crave healthy foods and eat smaller portions. I am going to do it again the day after Christmas.

Of course they slow down when you are eating a bunch of crap! But, the body has the really neat thing that it does...it heals itself and its metabolism quite quickly once you start eating healthy foods and drinking plenty of water.

No cleanse needed. Just eat better and drink water.
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    For a much more enjoyable "cleanse", I suggest KFC.

This^^ Or, if you live in the south, Krystal Burgers! :wink: