Running ???

Options
I am training for a marathon, so I have been doing a lot of running lately, many many miles :noway: Has anyone else out there know this....does running excessive miles build your muscles??? I usually run a few days a week a couple miles before, but now that I am getting in many miles a day, I am noticing my pants fitting a little snugger, undies not fitting the greatest anymore and my weight has increased a pound or two. :sad: Is it possible to be building muscle?? If you know anything or experienced any of this, please share :flowerforyou:

Replies

• jsonnett02
    Options
    I am training for a marathon, so I have been doing a lot of running lately, many many miles :noway: Has anyone else out there know this....does running excessive miles build your muscles??? I usually run a few days a week a couple miles before, but now that I am getting in many miles a day, I am noticing my pants fitting a little snugger, undies not fitting the greatest anymore and my weight has increased a pound or two. :sad: Is it possible to be building muscle?? If you know anything or experienced any of this, please share :flowerforyou:
  • ksukaro
    Options
    I have been training for a marathon since November, and gained a couple pounds during holiday time. I managed to take those couple pounds back off, but I have been stuck at the same weight for over a month. I count my calories, and do my best to eat my exercise calories.... but still not much.
    I definitley understand your frustration.
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    When I was marathon training, I gained about 5 pounds! Crazy, I know! Are you doing any weight training? I find that has really helped me! I'm training for a half marathon now and just running 3 days a week (FIRST training program). Good luck!
  • vickster82
    Options
    I am training for a half-marathon to run next month, and I haven't noticed weight gain, but I fluctuate quite a lot. My legs however are getting more muscular and defined! I'm on a running program right now, and Sunday was my first time ever running 10 mi. I think I can do the half with rigorous training for a month. Post your pictures of the victory ladies~:drinker:
  • jsonnett02
    Options
    I was able to talk to my coach yesterday and he said it was normal to gain a little and build muscle during the initial phase of training. So no worries it will even out. I was about to go crazy!!
    Yes, post pics of your victories!! I ran 9 miles yesterday, fist ever. It felt amazing :happy:
    Best of luck to all your training :flowerforyou:
  • Akamedian
    Options
    I'm training for a half-marathon too! I just ran my first 6 miles. I'm on a running program, so i'll post pics! My race isn't until April 26. Good luck to everyone!!
  • 1Corinthians13
    1Corinthians13 Posts: 5,296 Member
    Options
    I'm not training for a marathon - my goal this year is a 10k. But when I started running, I dropped weight fast. My underwear and pants are all too big for me, and my mom complains that I don't have my butt anymore (the one I inherited from her side of the family - big LOL). I run on average 15-20 miles a week. I have noticed, however, that my legs are more toned which is awesome!

I'm working on keeping my upper body in proportion with my fabulous legs! haha