Weight fluctuations... ugh!!!

Options
Hiya!
I am wondering if anyone else struggles with big weight fluctuations?? My weight can seemingly go up and down by 2 kg in the course of a couple of days (since weigh in day around 52 hours ago I have gone up 2.4kg ??? and yes naughty me for weighing myself). I dont know how, nor why. This is week 7 for me now.. I lost BIG in the first week.. 4kg to be exact (9 pound)... and since then ive gone up and down by 2kg every weigh in day. Its getting really very frustrating. This week I am trying the "Olivia Method" (creating a 1000 def)... just wondering if anyone has this problem and how they managed to get past it. Thanks people!!

ETA I have AALLOTTTT of weight to loose.

Replies

• Vermilla
    Vermilla Posts: 348
    Options
    I'm not sure what 2kg equals in pounds but most people get that. It's why you don't weigh too often. One day you may weigh first thing in the morning after sleeping and 10 hours after you last ate a salad. Next time you just had a burger. The time after that - right after a shower when your hair is wet and you just finished a workout. Maybe you drank a lot of water. Maybe you hardly ate. All that will make you flux. I sometimes do it for kicks to see how much it fluxs in a day. I can jump 3.5 pounds in one day and then drop it again almost immediately. It's natural to flux a good 5 pounds up and down.
  • TahliS
    TahliS Posts: 52
    Options
    2kgs is close to 4 1/2 pounds. Thanks for that! Its been making me crazy.. and has been making it hard to tell if I am doing the right thing for me.. or if i need to swap things around and see if something else works. Have to lock my bathroom scales away for a couple of weeks and forget about those numbers and just focus on eating well, drinking lots of water and getting in some good exercise. Thank you :)
  • turningstar
    turningstar Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Its very natural to fluctuate a few pounds a day. Don't weigh yourself so often, and watch the tape measure instead.
    I weighed myself last week at seven am, and by seven thirty I had gained almost a half pound, without eating or drinking. Must be all that high calorie air I was breathing.:noway:
  • Vermilla
    Vermilla Posts: 348
    Options
    Its very natural to fluctuate a few pounds a day. Don't weigh yourself so often, and watch the tape measure instead.
    I weighed myself last week at seven am, and by seven thirty I had gained almost a half pound, without eating or drinking. Must be all that high calorie air I was breathing.:noway:

LOL. This is why when I DO weigh myself, I do it three times to make sure it agrees with itself. Just maybe twenty minutes or so, I checked. Then I checked again just now to see. Down a pound. Walking from my desk to my bathroom apparently makes me lose a pound. I like it first thing in the morning. If I do it very very first thing, as in within a few seconds of standing up, it always gives me a pound or two. I guess gravity shifting or something. I find it amusing to play with.
  • IvoryParchment
    IvoryParchment Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I will gain 10 lbs over the course of the day, then lose it overnight in urine. And there are natural up and down fluctuations from one day to the next, especially based on your sodium intake. You'll also see differences based on how long you get to sleep (legs elevated means more fluid mobilized).

The iPhone app has a much more useful weight progress graph. You can see the rapid drop the first few days from water, then the steady downward slope of the real weight loss, but there are still up and down jags on that downward slope as water comes and goes.
  • apriltrainer
    apriltrainer Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I can go up 5-6 lbs in a day! I find that if I eat lots of carbs(especially around the holidays!) I can vary widely with my weight. But I know that it's not true fat gain. At least not yet.! Last week I was 112, my highest this week? 116.

My 116 was preceeded by tons of junk food but I am pretty sure it was just water weight. Yesterday and today I've been keeping my carbs down to less than 100 gm and today I am 114.4, I doubt I dropped 2 lbs of fat in a day. Just water.

Now hoping to try to break the gingerbread eating cycle and stay around 115. Even though I know that a 1 lb or 2 lbs gain may just be water weight, it still plays tricks with my head. I want to be able to maintain without worrying all the darn time over small fluctuations. But trying to keep away from the high teens at this point. Eating too may carbs for me...and seeing that 1-2 lbs jump is depressing. Even though I know I can easily get rid of it...it's still stressful. I need to get a handle on the holiday eating.
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I weighed reguarly when I switched from calorie counting to cutting wheat and going low carb to see what the difference was in water weight.

before I'd gain 3-5lbs a day and 6+ at monthlies.. after going low carb/gluten free I'd only go up 1-2lbs daily and even at monthlies I only gained by 4lbs water and found it came off quicker... I found it interesting and its stopped me panicking over fluctuations cos I know the pattern now depending on what I ate or how much exercised before weigh-in day.

Try getting on mornings only, same time after first wee, no clothes and see how much it varies at same time every day for a week then you can check your food diary to see what you ate the day before when its highest or when its lowest.
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    I fluctuate alot too but weigh daily. That way I get a sense of how things are going. I only record my lows unless I am consistently gaining which has happened only once and even then when I changed my weight it went down again. I know that usually I am lower on Tuesdays but not always. That is why a weekly weigh in doesn't make sense to me. I could be using a weekly low one week and a weekly high the next to record. Showing little of what I have lost for the week. However it works well for others especially if they have issues with the scale. I just see it as information to help me. Weighing more than once a day in the morning is not really helpful.