Sagging Skin in "Teens".

Options
Hi there, I'm new to the community. I've been using MFP for about 6 months now, but unfortunately I had a minor setback this summer. I now have 150 pounds to lose and I'm hoping to do it in a year and a half. I've got my diet plan figured out, workouts, ect, but I am TERRIFIED that once I lose all of this weight, I will look the same as I do now, just smaller (sagging breasts, sagging stomach, ect). I'm only 19, and I can't seem to find anyone my age on here who has had success with a weight loss of this much. Does anybody know anything about how fast, if ever, my skin will "bounce back", or am I doomed to have surgery once my weight is stable? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about that right now! Don't let this fear be an excuse for you not to lose the weight. You have a full lifetime ahead of you and you don't want it to be cut short by being in poor health, saggy skin or no saggy skin.

You're young enough that your skin should go back fairly well, especially if you lose at a reasonable pace (2lbs or less/wk). Make sure you are incorporating strength training into your workouts. This will tone you up and minimize the saggy/giggly look. :flowerforyou:
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,207 Member
    Options
    Skin resilience is very much an individual thing, The two big factors are age (the younger the better) and genetics. You are still very young. Lose the weight slowly, and you will likely find your skin will be fine. Usually the "experts" sat it takes up to a year after losing weight for skin to fully tighten, but at your age if you take it slow and steady your skin should be just fine.
  • carlypreiss
    Options
    Thank you! And don't worry, I'm not using it as an excuse not to lose the weight, but it is scary to think that I'll have gone through all of this hard work and still not be able to wear certain things because I'll still have rolls of skin. Thanks for the help :)
  • carrie_eggo
    Options
    Thank you! And don't worry, I'm not using it as an excuse not to lose the weight, but it is scary to think that I'll have gone through all of this hard work and still not be able to wear certain things because I'll still have rolls of skin. Thanks for the help :)

I understand. It would scare me too. :smile:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,641 Member
    Options
    While your concern for sagging skin is appropriate at your age, it's more important to focus on the detriments of being so overweight at a young age.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I am not 19 anymore actually 41 and I'm closing in on the second 150 lb. mark, just 13 lbs. away from losing 300 lbs. You really have to get past the lose skin issue whether you end up with it or not, god knows I don't like looking in the mirror cause it wouldn't matter if I was 19 again when you lose 300 lbs. your skin just isn't going back to where it once was but I am telling you from my vantage point, you really need to look at everything else first and foremost. That is you will be so much healthier and will have prolonged your life by many years and will have so much more to look forward too. 29 months ago at 560 lbs. I could barely walk from the living room to the bathroom without my rolling computer chair and today with the help of knee braces and injection therapy I spent 90 minutes on the elliptical and burned 1500 calories. The skin problem can be corrected with surgery (which I will have down the road) but being able to live my life again the way I want to regardless of dealing with the skin problem is just priceless.....
  • carlypreiss
    Options
    Thank you everyone. Again though, I am not using this fear as an excuse to not lose the weight. I am simply wondering if anyone knows what I can expect once I HAVE lost it.
  • vilyli6
    vilyli6 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Wow EdDavenport!!!!!! You are truly an inspiration to me. Thanks for sharing.
  • LovelyMumOf2
    Options
    Thank you everyone. Again though, I am not using this fear as an excuse to not lose the weight. I am simply wondering if anyone knows what I can expect once I HAVE lost it.
    I'm 21 with roughly 100 pounds to lose and I have the same fear. :(
  • iuew
    iuew Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    while i suppose it depends on the person, i lost 110 pounds in my early 30s, and almost all of the skin shrunk. i didn't need surgery.
  • carrie_eggo
    Options
    I am not 19 anymore actually 41 and I'm closing in on the second 150 lb. mark, just 13 lbs. away from losing 300 lbs. You really have to get past the lose skin issue whether you end up with it or not, god knows I don't like looking in the mirror cause it wouldn't matter if I was 19 again when you lose 300 lbs. your skin just isn't going back to where it once was but I am telling you from my vantage point, you really need to look at everything else first and foremost. That is you will be so much healthier and will have prolonged your life by many years and will have so much more to look forward too. 29 months ago at 560 lbs. I could barely walk from the living room to the bathroom without my rolling computer chair and today with the help of knee braces and injection therapy I spent 90 minutes on the elliptical and burned 1500 calories. The skin problem can be corrected with surgery (which I will have down the road) but being able to live my life again the way I want to regardless of dealing with the skin problem is just priceless.....

Wow, Ed. Congratulations on your weight loss!