Whole Egg vs. Egg White

Options
So I got into a discussion with a friend about which is "better", eating whole eggs or egg whites. I've been eating only egg whites lately but in the past I've mixed one whole egg with two-three egg whites to make my omelets. She was saying that I shouldn't eat whole eggs because they are bad for you.

What is your opinion??

Replies

• fxst78
    fxst78 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Eggs are a super food and part of the reason is all the goodies in the yolk.

I always eat whole eggs (3-4 a day)

Your plan of 2-3 white with one whole is a good plan. Egg yolks do have more fat but are very very good for you, saying whole eggs are bad for you is absolutely incorrect. Eating 20 whole eggs may be a problem though!
  • Kohadre
    Kohadre Posts: 316
    Options
    I dont care if the egg yolk contains all these good nutrients

I dont care if the 71%DV of cholesterol is good cholesterol.

The fact remains I dont want 71% of my DV to come from one source. That combined with the fact I eat a dozen of them a day, and the whites taste (to me) so much better than the whole egg.
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Mountain Man used to eat the entire egg. Shells and all.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTtn3c7PZ7hfqf9LaPOyq-aaMQLIDmxjljDG3hvhZ60LEeA-sfvkQ

He also got companies wantin to sponsor him cause of his physique, but he turned down their $$$ cause he didn't believe in supplements.
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but anyone who thinks that whole eggs are unhealthy for you really doesn't understand what they are talking about.

Unless you have a problem with cholesterol and your doctor advises you against them for that purpose, then they are great for you.
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    The yolk is healthy and mixing a whole egg in with some extra whites is fine. The only reason I don't eat the yolks is because I don't like how they taste. :(
  • lelliebugh
    lelliebugh Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I starting eating whole egg with my 3 other egg whites. I like the extra boost I get. Plus the protein is good for before my workout.
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    You'll get a thousand different opinions on it, best thing you can do is to do your research & make your own decision on what you think is best for you.
  • maryd523
    maryd523 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I buy local farm-fresh eggs and I think it would be a complete tragedy to toss those delicious, bright-orange egg yolks.
  • kouzzzz
    kouzzzz Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Whole egg. Most of the Vitamins and minerals are in the yolk.

http://www.cholesterol-and-health.com/Egg_Yolk.html
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    I just eat the whole damn egg. I ain't picky. And it's all healthy for you. But I think I'll be eating lots of egg white omelets soon though because I wanna make eggnog...and my recipe calls for ALOT of egg yolks...

For hard boiled eggs though I only like the egg white. I don't like the taste of the egg yolk but will eat it whole if it's mashed into an egg salad or something but I'll eat the egg white whole. However, if I'm having toast or hashbrowns I HAVE to have a RUNNY egg yolk. Tastes sooo good. :)
  • stevenleagle
    stevenleagle Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I posted a few weeks ago about whether or not eggs are the ultimate superfood? Theyre easy to prepare, nutritious, full of protein and filling for relatively few cals.

Then the whole egg white vs whole egg debate started lol.

Personally I can't bear to throw good food away... Far better to get rid of all those other fatty/sugary snacks I'm the pantry before the egg yolk IMHO ...
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I eat the whole egg. I feel I owe it to the chickens not to waste yolks!
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    mostly the whole egg - but if i need extra protein without the calories I might add a few egg whites to things like my oatmeal in the morning.....
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I eat whole eggs sometimes but mostly I'll eat egg whites.

I think whole eggs are good in moderation. The yolk does have lots of good stuff in it but I can really feel the heaviness of the yolks when I eat 3 or more whole eggs at a time.

I switched to eating mostly whites because I was trying to increase my protein intake with as little extra calories as possible.

See the yolk has as much protein as the white but the yolk has more calories because of the fat in it. Now fat isn't bad, you need fat to live, but you shouldn't have too much of it. And to get the amount of protein that I want I'd need like 4 eggs in the meal!

For most people if they're having an egg or two in an omelette then whole eggs are great. If you want to get more protein and less calories then try whites only. Maybe even try one yolk in 4 egg whites.

Anyway try not to get bogged down in yolk versus no yolk. If you need lots of protein (you're body building for example) then do the egg white thing. If you just want some eggs then just eat the whole egg :)
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options

Personally I can't bear to throw good food away... Far better to get rid of all those other fatty/sugary snacks I'm the pantry before the egg yolk IMHO ...

That's part of it for me. I can't stand to waste...so if I do end up not using the yolk then I will use it in a hair mask. :P
  • rachmaree
    rachmaree Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    My husband eats about 5 whole eggs per day, plus an extra 5-6 whites, and he's pretty healthy :)
    I prefer to eat 2-3 whole eggs, and any more whites only as I like to use my calories for other things.
    Nothing wrong with whole eggs.
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but anyone who thinks that whole eggs are unhealthy for you really doesn't understand what they are talking about.

Unless you have a problem with cholesterol and your doctor advises you against them for that purpose, then they are great for you.

i have high cholesterol(through my genes)so i can do NOTHING about it,but you can still have eggs(the whole egg) they are super good for you! as long as you don't have 10 a day!! lol
  • scarletleavy
    scarletleavy Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I love eggs, especially the yolks. Hell, I even eat raw egg yolks in my protein shakes/smoothies.
  • kouzzzz
    kouzzzz Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I love eggs, especially the yolks. Hell, I even eat raw egg yolks in my protein shakes/smoothies.

Same here about eating raw eggs in my protein smoothies
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options

Same here about eating raw eggs in my protein smoothies

i THOUGHT i loved eggs a lot. then i read this. i clearly do not love eggs as much as you two. but i do love whole eggs.