Going vegan... need help!

Options
So I've decided to go vegan, but I'm going to be completely upfront and say I have absolutely NO knowledge on this subject. Can some intelligent vegans and/or intelligent individuals in general give me some tips, tricks, and foods that I might not know aren't vegan?

Replies

• IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Did you pick a lifestyle choice out of a hat? I don't understand.
  • cmonskinnylovee
    Options

Oh how quickly people post ignorant comments on the message boards these days! Now I remember why I don't post here.

If you aren't going to be helpful, just leave :)

I have extreme digestion issues, and this is my final resort to solving it. Feel like a jerk now? you should.
  • clloy
    clloy Posts: 7
    Options
    I'm actually vegetarian, not vegan (though I have tried it a couple of times). If you're looking for a good source on transitioning, recipes, and some motivational info, I'd recommend Dr. Neal Barnard's "21 Day Kickstart," which is about going vegan and has lots of recipes, advice, and a 21 day meal plan. It actually recommends a low-fat vegan lifestyle. You can make your own judgements there. The website is also good.

http://www.21daykickstart.org/
  • cmonskinnylovee
    Options
    I'm actually vegetarian, not vegan (though I have tried it a couple of times). If you're looking for a good source on transitioning, recipes, and some motivational info, I'd recommend Dr. Neal Barnard's "21 Day Kickstart," which is about going vegan and has lots of recipes, advice, and a 21 day meal plan. It actually recommends a low-fat vegan lifestyle. You can make your own judgements there. The website is also good.

http://www.21daykickstart.org/

Oh I should probably mention that I am already a vegetarian, I'm not trying to jump from a carnivorous diet to a soley plant-based one.......

Thanks for that! I'll definitely look it up
  • Eleanorjanethinner
    Eleanorjanethinner Posts: 563 Member
    Options

Oh how quickly people post ignorant comments on the message boards these days! Now I remember why I don't post here.

I have extreme digestion issues, and this is my final resort to solving it. Feel like a jerk now? you should.

I wouldn't jump to being offended by this guy, I can see where he's coming from. It sound a bit odd to say "I've decided to do this thing, but I don't actually know anything about it".

Good luck with your digestion!

PS- I share an office with a vegan, but I'm a happy meat-eater so no tips from me, except that she says most bread is vegan. I didn't expect that.
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options

I think what they were trying to say is: why did you choose veganism (as opposed to, say, vegetarianism)?

Have you talked to a doctor about these digestion issues? They might be able to better pinpoint what foods you should avoid.

As for suggestions: research, research, research. When I decided to give up meat, I spent hours looking around the internet, reading various articles, and looking for book suggestions. Vegan.org seems to be a good place to start. Make sure you look into supplementing things like B-12 and Omega-3s, too, because those are very important to proper functioning and often have to be supplemented if you're not consuming animal products.

Marshmallows and gelatin are the only foods I can think of right now that are not vegan which aren't entirely obvious up front.
  • cmonskinnylovee
    Options

I think what they were trying to say is: why did you choose veganism (as opposed to, say, vegetarianism)?

Have you talked to a doctor about these digestion issues? They might be able to better pinpoint what foods you should avoid.

As for suggestions: research, research, research. When I decided to give up meat, I spent hours looking around the internet, reading various articles, and looking for book suggestions. Vegan.org seems to be a good place to start. Make sure you look into supplementing things like B-12 and Omega-3s, too, because those are very important to proper functioning and often have to be supplemented if you're not consuming animal products.

Marshmallows and gelatin are the only foods I can think of right now that are not vegan which aren't entirely obvious up front.

I am already a vegetarian.
    Yes I've spoken to my doctor...
    I've already researched, this was my last resort to find anything that google might not tell me, from actual people instead of generated articles from a search engine.

Thanks for everything though haha
  • cmonskinnylovee
    Options

I wouldn't jump to being offended by this guy, I can see where he's coming from. It sound a bit odd to say "I've decided to do this thing, but I don't actually know anything about it".

Good luck with your digestion!

PS- I share an office with a vegan, but I'm a happy meat-eater so no tips from me, except that she says most bread is vegan. I didn't expect that.

He obviously meant it to be snarky, that is why I was offended
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options

I am already a vegetarian.
    Yes I've spoken to my doctor...
    I've already researched, this was my last resort to find anything that google might not tell me, from actual people instead of generated articles from a search engine.

Thanks for everything though haha

Ah, OK. Your post kind of sounded like this was your first stop.

Well, beans, nuts, and nut butters are your friends when it comes to getting all your protein. I'm sure that's nothing new, though. Dried apricots are a good source of iron, as well as damn tasty.

I've been delving into vegan baking, lately, and I stumbled upon hellyeahitsvegan.com, which is a vegan recipe blog. I made the pumpkin cupcakes on there, which were DELICIOUS. Even my omnivorous coworkers agreed.

Oh, and I just remembered, cornbread and tortillas are never guaranteed to be vegan. Traditional recipes use lard, which is animal fat. I was looking for a box of cornbread mix at the store the other day and discovered that many of the mixes stick to this tradition. When going for stuff like that, if it's not specifically labeled vegan, make sure you're checking the ingredients twice.
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Raher than defend the 1st responder, how about suport her choice, It matters not what another chooses or for what reasons. We can but only off support with limited information. If you can't then keep quiet...and Bump a topic to get more information.

I wish you the best in your journey to a healthier you. May you find that which is needed. While I am not a vegan, I know the immediate change can be tough as you need to create new habits in choices. You have the strength in mindset. You will succeed.
  • KLi531
    KLi531 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I was a vegan for 3 years and then gave it up. It's not bad at all, but you do need to make sure you're taking supplements, especially your B vitamins. It's difficult because there are so many things you can't eat but you might not be able to tell by just reading the label. A lot of stores will put if a product is vegan on the label now, which is kind of awesome. There are also a ton more substitutions than there were just a few years ago.

This is a little list of the tricky words to avoid...
    http://library.thinkquest.org/C004833/avoid_en.shtml

Good luck!!
  • Jain
    Jain Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    I'm switching from veggie to vegan 'cause I noticed that my asthma was worse after eating dairy. So far it's seems to be working for me.
    Good luck & I hope it sorts out your health issues.:flowerforyou:
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    I would recommend doing some research on the subject - I am all for going vegan, but it's most likely to "stick" if you try to garner some knowledge beforehand.

The bulk of your diet should be whole, nutritious foods - think fresh fruits and vegetables, grains, beans and legumes. My favorite protein sources are tempeh, tofu, seitan, and lentils (in that order!) There are some great vegan foods available, such as plantburger patties and dairy-free cheese and ice cream, but these should be seen as treats and should not at all be the center of your diet. Be sure to look around some vegan food blogs - www.theppk.com is my favorite site for inspiration.

A lot of vegans will tell you that protein isn't really an issue, but if you are exercising, it is very important to get enough protein - consider adding a vegan protein powder, if you exercise enough to need it. 75% gemma pea and 25% brown rice make a great combination for vegan bodies. Also, don't forget about your calcium! Soymilks, broccoli and leafy greens are all high in calcium.

B12 is harder (but not impossible) for vegans to get, but keep in mind that it is a bacteria, not animal-based nutrient. I take B12 supplements (this is the only supplement I take as a vegan), but you can also get it via nutritional yeast (a delicious parmesan cheese replacement).

As for things to watch out for, etc., PETA has a great list of things that are/are not vegan by category, companies that do/do not test on animals, and other guides. As much as I don't really agree with their tactics, they are a great resource for vegan living.

So glad to see another vegan around! Don't hesitate to ask for help if you are feeling stuck or confused about anything. :)
  • speedy001
    speedy001 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    There is a group here for vegans and you will find some great recipes and tips there. I love the 30 day vegan challenge by colleen patrick goodreau (not sure I have her name spelt correctly. Also she does a great podcast that has a wealth of information as well. Get hold of some recipes and don't be afraid to use some convenience foods to help you get started. Then once you build you recipe collection you will be able to adapt everything you love to vegan. I would also recommend finding a good vegan restaurant so you can go out and enjoy a meal easily. I became vegan a year ago and have lost weight but more importantly have never felt better.
  • VinVenture
    Options
    Protein! Get your fair share. Eat a lot of nuts and beans and tofu. And don't use tofu as a meat substitute, enjoy it in its own right, it sucks up about any flavour you want to give it. Mm..

(You'll want at least 1g of protein per 2 lbs body weight, ideally 1g per 1lbs. This applies to non-vegans as well)
  • daffodilsoup
    Options
    And don't use tofu as a meat substitute, enjoy it in its own right, it sucks up about any flavour you want to give it. Mm..

I agree with this 100000%! So many people claim not to like tofu, and then say that they are disappointed that it didn't taste like meat. No vegan protein source is going to "fool you" into thinking it's meat - just enjoy it for its own taste and texture. Good call!
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    "PS- I share an office with a vegan, but I'm a happy meat-eater so no tips from me, except that she says most bread is vegan. I didn't expect that. "

My god daughter is vegetarian and pointed out to her mum the other day that the bread they were using contained fish oils!.. so do check. Think it was the 50/50 bread (UK brand.. just in case you're in the UK! )
  • snugglesworthjr
    snugglesworthjr Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Not sure if this is going to help, but here goes anyway. I found that when I first went vegan after being vegetarian, I had to read the ingredients labels of everything. This at first seemed to me to be a huge effort and quite possibly a waste of time, but then I realized that this was actually helping me-- there are tons of terrible additives in processed foods that are nothing but bad for the body. I never realized how many synthetic chemicals were put into our food to make it taste good before going vegan and being forced to read the ingredients labels. Since then, almost everything I eat is cooked by my own hand so I know exactly what's going into my body. I noticed a marked increase in mental clarity and overall feeling after ditching the processed foods.

So now that I've proclaimed the wonders of eating whole foods, I'd like to recommend the cookbook entitled "Veganomicon." I've quite a few cookbooks ranging from vegetarian to vegan to raw food, but this one is definitely my favorite in terms of yumminess, ease of preparation, and recipe layout. Many of my meat-eating friends love the recipes in this book so much they also cook from it regularly :)
  • KokomoJoe
    Options
    How much wheat do you consume? I might try going gluten free first. Unfortunately gluten is in almost everything we consume and I have been doing my best to remove it. Labels have to be read because you will find gluten in ice cream, ketchup, soy sauce.

I was basically vegan for almost a year (I didn't give up my fish) and found it very difficult. Going out for dinners, even going to my parents place always seemed a chore because I didn't "eat right" in their minds. I consumed tons of brown rice, avocado, tomatos and beans. Almost everything I ate I made at home because you never know what any restaurant will put in items. You may also want to read about ph balanced diets and the alkalarian lifestyle by Dr. Robert Young.

As for tofu, to make it meatier if that's what you desire, freeze it then thaw as the texture changes. It still isn't "meat" but does give it a closer texture.

Good luck in your quest.
  • daffodilsoup
    Options
    How much wheat do you consume? I might try going gluten free first. Unfortunately gluten is in almost everything we consume and I have been doing my best to remove it. Labels have to be read because you will find gluten in ice cream, ketchup, soy sauce.

Can I ask what the benefit of removing gluten from a vegan diet would be if one [presumably] does not have a gluten intolerance? Gluten can be a really nutritious addition to a vegan diet, such as the use of wheat gluten in seitan dishes.