What's the deal with fiber...side effects?

Options
kimber607
kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
Hi everyone

Everything I've been reading says to eat fiber...for people with IBS...fiber...all the products geared towards healthy eating (dieting) have lots of fiber
I have to say ....since i've been eating better...I feel like crud
My stomach is upset...I feel like I have reflux in the evenings....and let's just say I have been a tad gassy and IRREGULAR....I wasn't expecting that

I'm drinking tons of water....and 2 big mugs of green tea per day (decaf/no sweetner)

has anyone has this problem...what gives?

Kim

Replies

• kimber607
    Options
    Hi everyone

Everything I've been reading says to eat fiber...for people with IBS...fiber...all the products geared towards healthy eating (dieting) have lots of fiber
    I have to say ....since i've been eating better...I feel like crud
    My stomach is upset...I feel like I have reflux in the evenings....and let's just say I have been a tad gassy and IRREGULAR....I wasn't expecting that

I'm drinking tons of water....and 2 big mugs of green tea per day (decaf/no sweetner)

has anyone has this problem...what gives?

Kim
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    How much is tons of water? Just asking because everyone see that as a different amount. I sometimes take in 40 grams of fiber a day, and I have to drink about 3-4 litres of water with it.
  • kimber607
    Options
    Hi

I've never calculated how much water I drink....but I would say at least an easy 6-8 BIG glasses per day (6-8 ounces each??)
    When I go out I also bring a bottle of water and finish it....

Maybe the fiber, and not enough water is causing my problem?
    I'll try bumping up my fluid intake

Thanks, kim
  • kimber607
    Options
    Hi

I've never calculated how much water I drink....but I would say at least an easy 6-8 BIG glasses per day (6-8 ounces each??)
    When I go out I also bring a bottle of water and finish it....

Maybe the fiber, and not enough water is causing my problem?
    I'll try bumping up my fluid intake

Thanks, kim
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Also, if eating this way is new, it may take some time for your system to adjust.

If it doesn't, you should speak to your doctor.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Yea, eating a lot of fiber with inadequate water will actually lead to constipation. It still forms bulk to push everything out, but it's not lubricated enough to exit. Sounds gross I know :laugh: 6-8 glasses is really the minimum people should be drinking...if you are exercising, it's even more.