Egg whites vs egg substitutes

Options
I am looking at a eating plan while lifting weights and it calls for 5 egg whites to eat for breakfast. Is it ok to sub the egg whites for egg beaters or better n eggs?

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    They sell plain egg whites in the store. Egg beaters have other ingred. in them you don't want. Just look at the ingred. before you buy.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    They sell plain egg whites in the store. Egg beaters have other ingred. in them you don't want. Just look at the ingred. before you buy.

Please specify which ingredients she "doesn't want."

The substitutes are just egg whites + coloring, they're basically the same thing. The cheapest way to go is to buy eggs and seperate them yourself, but that can be a pain.
  • traceracer
    traceracer Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Well, Im a woman with little time for alot of things so Ill spend the extra buck!:) lol
  • erinmac0211
    erinmac0211 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Whole eggs are amazing for you, tons of vitamins and minerals and good fats. Those egg substitutes have been uber processed and have had other things added to them. Stay natural!
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I am looking at a eating plan while lifting weights

I don't mean this to be snarky at all, but the above is concerning.

If you are looking at any pre-written diet plan for lifting I suggest you scrap that idea immediately. These are not designed for the individual and most of them are arbitrary lists of food that are not customized for you.
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Whole eggs are amazing for you, tons of vitamins and minerals and good fats. Those egg substitutes have been uber processed and have had other things added to them. Stay natural!

Yes, I'm a big advocate of whole eggs as well. Most of the good nutrients come from the yolk!
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Yes, but you might want to consider including a whole egg with the whites - 4 white to one whole egg.
    The egg substitutes include yoke though diminished, depending on the brand.

Yokes are fattening as can be - a NO GO for sure, but still they have some virtue in great moderation.
  • kaetra
    kaetra Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Just check the nutrition label and ingredients of the products available to you and pick the one that best fits your needs.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Yes, but you might want to consider including a whole egg with the whites - 4 white to one whole egg.
    The egg substitutes include yoke though diminished, depending on the brand.

Yokes are fattening as can be - a NO GO for sure, but still they have some virtue in great moderation.

Dietary fat is good for you and it's perfectly fine to get this from egg yolks.
  • Purpleflipflops
    Purpleflipflops Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Like others said, I would consider keeping some egg yolks. They ate good for you, and will help you out in terms of nutrients. In order for your meal to be more filling, you might want to do 3/4 egg sites to one whole egg.

And I personally find something really weird about a carton-o-egg
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options

Please specify which ingredients she "doesn't want."

The substitutes are just egg whites + coloring, they're basically the same thing. The cheapest way to go is to buy eggs and seperate them yourself, but that can be a pain.

I guess that kind of depends where you are and the store you buy from. I buy the little jug of just egg whites and it costs about half what an 18 pack of eggs costs, ounce for ounce.
  • calipete
    Options
    I agree with using the whole egg!! 1 egg gives you 6 grams of protein and 75 calories. If you are looking to add protein you might consider low or non fat Greek Yogurt 1 cup gives you 20 grams of protein and only 110 calories.

Hope it helps
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    I just don't like how the substitutes taste. Also don't like how they stick to the pan when cooking. I hate separating eggs, but taste wins for me. I allow a whole egg in my mix. The yolk is what tastes best. I was trying to follow a "plan" too, but ended up doing what I thought was right for ME. I chose my own supplements and I ate what I wanted for my macros versus what they laid out. Life was easier that way. And MFP helped me accomplish that.
  • skateboardstef
    skateboardstef Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    If I was interested in eating egg whites, I wouldn't buy from a carton. Who knows what kind of preservatives and stabilizers are in those substitutes. I would separate the eggs myself. If you suck at separating eggs like I do, you can buy an egg separator. It makes it a lot easier!
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    If I was interested in eating egg whites, I wouldn't buy from a carton. Who knows what kind of preservatives and stabilizers are in those substitutes. I would separate the eggs myself. If you suck at separating eggs like I do, you can buy an egg separator. It makes it a lot easier!

sure you can. read the label. taken from the "just egg whites" carton. ingredients:pasteurized liquid egg white. That's it. no preservatives or stabilizers.
  • adjones5
    adjones5 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I like to use 2 egg whits and one whole egg. Sometimes I used egg beaters, honestly I can only tell a slight difference, in that the real egg tastes better than the egg substitute.
  • mike_devo
    mike_devo Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I eat 1 whole egg (70 cals) and 5 egg whites (80 cals). Good for the yolk and to add some color. Also, if you're too busy to crack and mix 4 egg whites, I think your schedule may be a bit tight :tongue:
  • traceracer
    traceracer Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I am looking at a eating plan while lifting weights

I don't mean this to be snarky at all, but the above is concerning.

If you are looking at any pre-written diet plan for lifting I suggest you scrap that idea immediately. These are not designed for the individual and most of them are arbitrary lists of food that are not customized for you.
    I agree and I have alot more to learn:)