Cheat Days?

Options
Do you allow yourself "cheat days"? Do you plan for them? Do you still track what you eat?

I am striving for balance, and I hate thinking of food in negative ways like "that is not allowed". With the holiday season upon us and several social (eating) events coming up, I want to enjoy what I really like but I don't want to go overboard. I find I can incorporate some favorites into my daily calories with careful planning, For instance at a birthday party yesterday, I did have 1 slice of pizza (instead of 3 or 4), and passed on the cupcakes.

On the upcoming social event days, I plan to eat carefully during the day (ie, a protein shake for breakfast, a small salad or soup for lunch), and look up foods I know will be at the party so I can have a calorie/serving size in mind when I get there and plan the treats I most want and avoid the others. Christmas Day will be a Day Off for sure, although I still plan to have calorie (and fat!) counts in mind, that knowledge does help me eat less!

How do the rest of you plan to handle these situations?

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    When cutting/losing weight, I have 1 cheat day per week for both physiological reasons (hormones) and psychological reasons.

When bulking (which I'm doing now) I don't have cheat days but I will occasionally have a day where I don't keep track.

If you can cheat occasionally such that:

1) You resume your plan the next day without guilt and without over-compensating.
    2) Your cheat isn't some OVER NINE THOUSAND calorie day (i.e. keep it moderate, slight surplus)

Then I'd say it's probably a good idea.
  • allieferriera
    allieferriera Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have a cheat day once a week. But I don't log it on MFP because I sometime am embarrassed of the amount of calories I will eat(We usually have fast food that day). I feel like it really helps me keep on track the rest of the week!
  • surfrgrl1
    surfrgrl1 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    When cutting/losing weight, I have 1 cheat day per week for both physiological reasons (hormones) and psychological reasons.

When bulking (which I'm doing now) I don't have cheat days but I will occasionally have a day where I don't keep track.

If you can cheat occasionally such that:

1) You resume your plan the next day without guilt and without over-compensating.
    2) Your cheat isn't some OVER NINE THOUSAND calorie day (i.e. keep it moderate, slight surplus)

Then I'd say it's probably a good idea.

Each Friday, like clockwork, I plan to have a cheat meal in the evening. My boyfriend and I have a longstanding tradition of going out to dinner after work. I generally go over by about 500-700 for that particular day. I do my best to log it all especially if its food from a place that isn't found in MFP database.

I agree with Sidesteal, keep your cheat moderate, and get back on the plan the next day.
  • mrsdizzyd84
    mrsdizzyd84 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I had a "cheat" day yesterday. I had 3 slices of pizza and a beer for dinner.

My cheat days usually come on workout days so I can offset the effect a bit. Also, it allows me to stay within my calorie goal even though I completely blow my macros out of the water. Sodium, fat, and carbs yesterday were off the charts!

I have to have "cheat days" otherwise I couldn't stick with my weight loss plan. However, today it's back to the healthy eating. I'll have no more "junk" food for the next of the week.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    I used to do "treat days" a few tines a week...eating 500 calories more than usual but I was in maintenance and the other 5 days I ate at a slight deficit to offset the treat days.

I think logging it is important to have an understanding of what's happening to your body weight wise and why. I think having a calorie amount in mind is also useful. So maybe 500-1000 over maintenance , not over your daily calorie goal (which is likely at a deficit) but over maintenance. It will restore leptin functioning and possibly keep you on track during the week.
  • imalikat2
    imalikat2 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I log everything, not matter what. I don't have what I would call "cheat days". They may just spontaneously happen, but since I log everything every day, I can compensate where needed (providing my hubby doesn't want to go out to dinner... again... ) :blushing: I will admit, however, that sometimes on those days where I'm way over or my diary looks really, really bad, I may not click "complete this entry" that evening and may wait till the next morning where it won't show up on my daily profile, so my friends won't look it.... :sad: but at least I track it so I know the real deal. (Okay friends, now you know if you don't see that I completed my food diary for the day that's the reason!) :laugh:
  • allaboutaleah
    Options
    I don't have cheat days, but I have good and bad days, but regardless I track it, just so I know. I don't think there is anything wrong with cheat days, but I think you should still track them, for your own reference