What brought you here?

Options
cgrout78
cgrout78 Posts: 1,679 Member
So I'm curious to see what brought people here, to the point where they were really ready to lose weight. Mine was the fact that I I was worried about the buttons flying off my pants everytime I put them on. Plus I bought a bunch of new undeclothing type of things that I want to look HOT in. LOL.

I suppose secondary reasons are just general health and wanting to keep up with my kids. But truly vanity is my main motivating factor.

Always looking for friends too!!!

Replies

• 00Steph
    Options
    I was married in July, and in September he wanted a divorce b/c he fell in love w/ someone else. In October I was diagnosed w/ stomach cancer, and after the treatments I was put on steroids I gained a lot of weight. I finally got off the steroids and I am in full remission, I was so depresed for so long that I finally decided to take my life in my own hands and get fit and lose the weight. But I learned pretty fast I would need support, and it seems like this site is the answer to all my prayers. :)

I can always use a friend too!!
  • cgrout78
    cgrout78 Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    wow...congrats on your cancer being in remission. That is really awesome for you. Good luck for you!! If you could beat cancer, I'm sure you can lose that pesky weight.
  • Pookylou
    Pookylou Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    Steph that is fantastic news, weight loss should be a breeze after everything you've been through.
    My "straw" was my ork trousers, that got super tight and I was too ashamed to ask to order a new size, so I thought, gotta get my eating/exercise on the right track!
  • Schmarrn
    Options
    Well I grew up being teased about my weight , my own mom would be one of my biggest bullies... Among w/ other problems I'd eat my emotions,always anxious 0 energy... It's pretty difficult for me to write my reasons here( lotta drama) Im glad I came accross this site bc here I met. Really great friends that make everyday struggle bearable :-)
  • annameier8706
    annameier8706 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    After having two kids, and not really caring how MUCH i ate, I was the heaviest I had ever been. I was self concious and none of my clothes fit right. I hated being naked, even when I was alone, and it was severly affecting my sex life, which in turn was affecting my marriage. So i decided it was time to do something about it. I started tracking what I was eating in a journal just to watch how much I was eating and be accoutable for everything I was eating. I also started selling AdvoCare and took their 24 Day Challenge. The cleanse portion of that forced my to change the way I eat. Then my friend told me about MFP, and I've been tracking ever since. I have lost approx 12lbs since the 10/1/11.
  • ladyprofaz
    Options
    I couldn't walk more than 1/4 mile without severe lower back pain. I was sent to the physical therapist who said the only thing that will help is exercise and getting the weight off. Somehow, I heard it. So I am 9 pounds down and up to half a mile without pain.
  • Calorie_Killa
    Options
    I was married in July, and in September he wanted a divorce b/c he fell in love w/ someone else. In October I was diagnosed w/ stomach cancer, and after the treatments I was put on steroids I gained a lot of weight. I finally got off the steroids and I am in full remission, I was so depresed for so long that I finally decided to take my life in my own hands and get fit and lose the weight. But I learned pretty fast I would need support, and it seems like this site is the answer to all my prayers. :)

I can always use a friend too!!

What an awesome and inspirational story. Congrats on your remission! If you've made it through that, I doubt you won't be able to take on this measly little thing called weight loss.
  • thefishers4
    thefishers4 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I joined back in March because I woke up on March 3rd and decided that I wasn't happy with myself anymore. I wasn't happy of who I had become. I had no energy and I couldn't be the mom and wife I needed to be for my family. I can always use friends.
  • Calorie_Killa
    Options
    Pictures and being utterly uncomfortable is what made me start to change my lifestyle. I looked at photos from my 30th birthday party two years ago and I looked horrible. I was so big my skin looked extremely tight as if being stuck by a pin would have made me explode. I just looked extra uncomfortable because I was. I would get short of breath walking stairs, could hardly bend over to tie my shoes because my stomach was in the way and I couldn't fit any of my clothes anymore nor could I fit the things I liked in the stores. Three months later I joined a gym. 8 months later is when I got serious about losing and that was 16 months ago. Still going strong!
  • kevin3344
    kevin3344 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    My story is a little different than everyone elses. I actually didn't have any weight to lose. However, my sister-in-law was concerned about her weight and asked me to help her. I found MFP on my iPhone, and she joined the website.

What changed for me was I thought I was in shape, but I didn't have any idea what I was eating. I would just run it off. I totally changed my diet to eating more nutritious foods, drinking more water, and adding circuit training to my workouts, which has totally changed my core. I'm stronger now than I have ever been. And my running times have gotten faster.

A little later, I found the Community site of MFP and enjoy encouraging others. *And* my sister-in-law has lost 17lbs in just about 4 months! MFP is a great resource and who knows where we would be without it :)
  • Skyking1964
    Options
    I am pretty new here, my nutritionist suggested the mobile app to keep my food diary, I am on a physician supervised program at this time, eventually having a gastric bypass in the spring, I have found a lot of very good food and exercise tips here. I started exercising about a month ago, and was surprised by how much I like it. I have about 160 lbs to go, and try to workout as much as possible 4-5 times a week, so far I have lost almost the amount of weight the program requires me to lose by April.
  • gargoyle999
    gargoyle999 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    My feet hurt ALL the time! I am standing or walking a lot at work for a 12 hour shift. Even on my days off my feet hurt. Pain is a motivator. I went on vacation the beginning of March and had two weeks to think about things. Decided it was time to make a change. 2 weeks after getting home it was out with the old and in with the new. And after losing 66 lbs my feet feel great!
  • amaodonnell
    amaodonnell Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I have always been a bigger girl and a little over a year ago was diagnose with type 2 diabetes and high blood pressure. I am stubborn and didn't want to pay for anything to help me lose weight. I had been doing good with weight loss, I had lost 8 pounds in 9 months, but then it promptly stopped.

My friend told me about this sight and I thought that counting calories wouldn't help much. Oh boy was I wrong!!
    This site has helped me so much.
  • christinehetz80
    christinehetz80 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I tried it over the summer and was hitting the gym really hard with cycling, elliptical, zumba. Then I'd come home and eat cake, chips, and second helpings of dinner. So I of course saw NO results. Then it hit me.....I'm gonna be celebrating my 10 year anniversary and though I don't loathe how I look.....I don't love it either. I have rather healthy self esteem so I look pretty darn fabulous when I get dressed up, but it also takes tons of shapewear to squeeze into my favorite looks. We are gonna be renewing our vows at Viva Las Vegas Rockabilly weekender and I realized I wanna look and feel fabulous. My father is diabetic, had a stroke over a year ago, my mom has back issues. I know both of them have these issues because of their weight. I don't want to be in those shoes. My husband stays what I call "old school" fit so he doesn't exercise in terms of running or lifting weights, but he has an active job, surfs, swims, does tons of outdoor activities. I want to make sure that although I can keep up with him now that I continue to keep up with him in years to come. So vanity, wellness of being, mind, and body, and preventative measures. All of those reasons brought me here to where I am. I'm now doing c25k, watching what I eat, and loving every minute of it. Yes its hard. I'm still nowhere near my goal weight, but I feel AWESOME. So I hope to continue with a long term lifestyle change. :)
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    At 57 I just ad my 4th child. I have Type II diabetes, and cholesterol issues. I wanted to stay around for my kids to have a dad, and this is the most logical approach.
    I've lost 22 lbs, been taken off most of my medication, and I'm exercising every day.
    So it may be working!
  • pholbert
    pholbert Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I am in my mid 50s and got tired of yo yoing up and down.
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I was too fat and wanted not only weight loss but peak fitness.
  • kaetra
    kaetra Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Outgrowing my pants, a very scary cholesterol test result and realizing that I was way too close to out-weighing my husband.

What actually brought me to this site was my mobile phone apps store. I am so very thankful I found MFP, it has made ALL the difference!

Now those pants I was outgrowing hardly stay up. I tried on a size smaller pants yesterday, and even they were pretty loose!
  • zoe4friends
    zoe4friends Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    My new phone :-) I was trying to lose weight before, but never really stuck with anything, so when I got new phone I just started browsing apps and here I am ( actually i didn't think I will last that long on here) but it's been 3 months now. So happy I discovered MFP
  • rpphillip
    rpphillip Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome add me as a friend, what brought me here is a need to better health, hight blood pressuer and shortness of breath. I use to be active and I'm not sure when or where I stoped ,but life happens and now I am trying to get back to being as fit and healthy as I can, before it is too late!