Low Thyroid and Excercise

Has anyone experienced low thyroid while trying to workout, burn calories and lose weight before getting treatment? I have heard it makes it hard to sweat, get your heart rate up and things like that. Is this true? And would there be a significant amount of difference after getting treatment?

Replies

• MrsJackieH
    MrsJackieH Posts: 151 Member
    You know my husband had hyper thyroid, and after taking taking the radio active pill he is now hypo and he has gain a significant amount of weight, he has tried to work out with me but he gets tired very fast. i feel for him so much, i dont know what i can do to help, i will always love him no matter what but he is struggling with his weight gain. im sorry this isnt much help, but if u hear anything let me know :)
  • Becky1971
    Becky1971 Posts: 979 Member
    Oh geeze radio active, wow. I hadn't heard that. Are they going to adjust that for him. From what I understand thats why they continue to do blood tests so they can make necessary adjustments.
    You know my husband had hyper thyroid, and after taking taking the radio active pill he is now hypo and he has gain a significant amount of weight, he has tried to work out with me but he gets tired very fast. i feel for him so much, i dont know what i can do to help, i will always love him no matter what but he is struggling with his weight gain. im sorry this isnt much help, but if u hear anything let me know :)
  • x4mygirlsx
    x4mygirlsx Posts: 129 Member
    i was gaining weight on a low calorie diet and had no stamina for much exercise. once i started levothyroxine within a few weeks i could work out longer and am now losing about 1lb a week.
  • gg24
    gg24 Posts: 58
    I don't think I had problems sweating or getting my heart rate up. However, until they got the levels right in my medication, no matter what I did I couldn't get the weight off and when it was really out of whack I gained almost 20 pounds. Over ten of it in three months. I'm guessing I would have gained more if I hadn't kept eating well and exercising.

It really is important to get the levels right. Now that I do, my mood is better and I have lots of energy. I also had a Vit D deficiency, which contributed to both mood and energy depletion.

Good Luck and make sure your levels are normal for you and not what the Lab says.
  • Wilmingtonbelle
    Wilmingtonbelle Posts: 255 Member
    I had a partial thyroidectomy due to cancer. The doctor didn't want me to take thyroid replacement hoping the other lobe would kick in. It didn't and I gained a ton of weight, over 100 lbs. My thyroid levels bounce around a bit so I'm on a very low dose. Starting to workout was brutal, I could only do 10 minutes on the elliptical at the lowest setting and then I'd fall alseep on the couch for 2 hours to recover. I never had a problem sweating, in fact I sweat a ton when I work out! I stuck with it and I'm now up to 35 minutes at the highest intensity. And I don't need a nap anymore! Exercise plus improving my diet has been the key for me. It's a battle against your body as well as your mind. You can do it, start slow and set reasonable goals, when you achieve them, push yourself harder. Also, get a heart rate monitor, it will really help you see progress. :flowerforyou:

Sláinte!
  • MrsJackieH
    MrsJackieH Posts: 151 Member
    Oh geeze radio active, wow. I hadn't heard that. Are they going to adjust that for him. From what I understand thats why they continue to do blood tests so they can make necessary adjustments.

actually he is on Methimazole which they adjust regularly based on his blood tests but the radio active pill was a one time pill he took as an alternate to surgery because his was so high. which it seems to have helped a lot. it is something relatively new from what we understand. but it seemed to help a lot, he prob will have to take it one more time at a later date. but as for now he seems to be doing well, and hes gained probably about 30 lbs from the hypo, but he was so underweight when battling the hyper that as of now he seems to be a healthy weight, but he doesn't see anything but the scale, but i hope with some time he will b happier with it. he gets comments all the time on how much healthier he looks. i think hes just worried that the weight gain will just continue if he doesn't work out more.
  • Becky1971
    Thanks everyone for your replies! I'm not sure if thyroid is my issue, I can't get checked till after taxes, but I sure do have a lot of the symptoms. Most of which could just be perimenopause, which Is what I thought it was, but recently learned they both have lots of the same symptoms. I just find it extremely peculiar that I never sweat, less it's middle of summer. Even doing weights, and having my face contorting and everything, doesn't even make me sweat. So I just wanted to see about other peoples experiences.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Exercise is for muscles and your mind, not just your waistline and the scale.

Yes, I have an undereactive thyroid. But even if I didn't,exercise is still healthy for everyone.
  • myskinnyyear
    myskinnyyear Posts: 70 Member
    I am on medication for hypothyroidism. My dr told me that until I got my numbers right, it wouldn't matter if I ate nothing but bread and water I wouldn't lose weight. The tiredness is also a big factor. I would definitely get your numbers checked, if it is a problem with thyroid, the right medication will only help you. Exercise WILL help with tiredness to tho. Just harder to make yourself do it.
  • Becky1971
    I absolutely agree! The biggest reason I'm on here is for mental health, and it's allowed me to stay off psychiatric meds that I was on for 12 years.
    Exercise is for muscles and your mind, not just your waistline and the scale.

Yes, I have an undereactive thyroid. But even if I didn't,exercise is still healthy for everyone.
  • Becky1971
    That's the thing, for a year I have struggled with getting any further, no matter what I have done. Gone up and gone down in my calorie goal, and up and down in the amount of workout, and weights for strengthening. I should feel great working out regularly, and getting enough sleep, but I don't I'm always very tired anyways.Frustrating.
    I am on medication for hypothyroidism. My dr told me that until I got my numbers right, it wouldn't matter if I ate nothing but bread and water I wouldn't lose weight. The tiredness is also a big factor. I would definitely get your numbers checked, if it is a problem with thyroid, the right medication will only help you. Exercise WILL help with tiredness to tho. Just harder to make yourself do it.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    It's a lifestyle change. You just start small. Message me if you need any help.
  • Hi Becky, have you been diagnosed by a doctor with this?

• It really is important to get the levels right. Now that I do, my mood is better and I have lots of energy. I also had a Vit D deficiency, which contributed to both mood and energy depletion.

I also developed a vitamin D deficiecy when I went hypo. I had cramps in every muscle in my body and it took all my energy to even get out of bed. I also had the radioactive iodine treatment and gained 30 pounds in 2 months.
  • DoubleE615312
    DoubleE615312 Posts: 173 Member
    Before getting treated for my thyroid (underactive/hypo) I hated exercising. I would never sweat and felt extremely exhausted after walking a mile on the treadmill at 3.0 mph. I tried to lose weight, could not lose it no matter what I did. Finally 9/2010, my OB/GYN noticed my thyroid seemed a little large. Took blood and my T3, T4, and TSH were normal, however my thyroid antibodies were high. She wanted me to see an endocrinologist. After my visit with him and an ultrasound of my thyroid he put me on medicine. For the past year I have been on .5mcg of levoxyl and I can't begin to tell you how much of a difference it has made. Now I enjoy exercising (my therapy). I sweat and I feel so much better and ready to conquer the world afterward. I have also lost weight. Who would of thought a little organ that goes out of whack would cause so much of an issue and who would of thought a little pill would help solve the problem.

The pill is not magic, it will not help you lose weight just taking it alone.
  • Becky1971
    WIth having a larger thyroid did you have troubles swallowing? Or notice any difference. I was trying to figure out if that was a possibility for me, because sometimes with drinking, when my cup/bottle is not full anymore and I have to tip back further, then it feels weird, like something in the way and have to tip back up and try to not move my head back.
    Before getting treated for my thyroid (underactive/hypo) I hated exercising. I would never sweat and felt extremely exhausted after walking a mile on the treadmill at 3.0 mph. I tried to lose weight, could not lose it no matter what I did. Finally 9/2010, my OB/GYN noticed my thyroid seemed a little large. Took blood and my T3, T4, and TSH were normal, however my thyroid antibodies were high. She wanted me to see an endocrinologist. After my visit with him and an ultrasound of my thyroid he put me on medicine. For the past year I have been on .5mcg of levoxyl and I can't begin to tell you how much of a difference it has made. Now I enjoy exercising (my therapy). I sweat and I feel so much better and ready to conquer the world afterward. I have also lost weight. Who would of thought a little organ that goes out of whack would cause so much of an issue and who would of thought a little pill would help solve the problem.

• Becky1971
    No, I haven't. I'm thinking when I get taxes I will go in to get tested. I don't have insurance so have to wait till then.
    Hi Becky, have you been diagnosed by a doctor with this?
  • moejo3
    moejo3 Posts: 224 Member
    Thanks everyone for your replies! I'm not sure if thyroid is my issue, I can't get checked till after taxes, but I sure do have a lot of the symptoms. Most of which could just be perimenopause, which Is what I thought it was, but recently learned they both have lots of the same symptoms. I just find it extremely peculiar that I never sweat, less it's middle of summer. Even doing weights, and having my face contorting and everything, doesn't even make me sweat. So I just wanted to see about other peoples experiences.

When I started peri menopause in my mid 30s my thyroid took a vacation...definitely get tested you will feel so much better. As for weight loss (and I put on 30 pounds) basically you have to eat 3 balanced meals a day to lose weight and try to stay around 1200 calories. Hot Yoga has really helped me because I don't get overly tired. Also, Vitamin D3 (living in Seattle), and a B complex as well as fish oil for inflammaion also help. Just be patient and take one day at a time Best of luck!
  • DoubleE615312
    DoubleE615312 Posts: 173 Member
    WIth having a larger thyroid did you have troubles swallowing? Or notice any difference. I was trying to figure out if that was a possibility for me, because sometimes with drinking, when my cup/bottle is not full anymore and I have to tip back further, then it feels weird, like something in the way and have to tip back up and try to not move my head back.

Yes, it makes it more difficult to swallow, it's is a sign of hypothyroidism, so are sore throats. Other classic signs are hair loss, brittle nails and dry itchy skin. For some it can cause heavy menstrual bleeding and make getting pregnant difficult. Another sign is always being cold or having cold feet and hands. Such a little organ that does so much regulating our bodies.
  • Becky1971
    Those are all symptoms I have, minus the trying to get pregnant, no interest in that lol. The swallowing is the least troublesome, and everything else could be something else I'm dealing with. It's crazy what all the Thyroid does, until two weeks ago, I thought it was not a very important organ. I will definitely have to get checked.

Thanks everyone for all the feedback and advice!

Yes, it makes it more difficult to swallow, it's is a sign of hypothyroidism, so are sore throats. Other classic signs are hair loss, brittle nails and dry itchy skin. For some it can cause heavy menstrual bleeding and make getting pregnant difficult. Another sign is always being cold or having cold feet and hands. Such a little organ that does so much regulating our bodies.