Lost my motivation... How can I get it back?

Options
I've stopped going to the gym and not even attempted eat healthily for the past 6 months! In that time I have gained about a stone! I've attempted slimmin world in those few months and that did nothing! I have no motivation I don't know what to do to get it back! In the meantime the more my weigh goes up the more depressed I get! U would think seeing the scales going up wud be enough to motivate but it's not! Somebody help how do I get out of this cycle?

Replies

• bobbi29
    bobbi29 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I was in the same slump you are last month. I reach out to my MFP pals for help and with there thoughts help me re-evaluate my goals what I really wanted to do with my life. Do you want it to pass you by or do you want to live every moment to the fullest. Also looking up other peoples achievements also keeps me wanting to continue with my goals.
  • lmcclari
    lmcclari Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I think this is a problem most people have especially if they have a bit of weight to lose in the first place. I dont know what you can do to get motivation back but I can tell you what worked for me and see if that helps you out. I know for me I hit the highest weight I have ever been after multiple family mishaps about two years ago. I lot about 20lbs then stalled for a year and have been stalling, unmotivated until now. Just recently i got my motivation back because I decided that this isnt the person I want to be and that the only one who can change that is me. I also realized that Im not perfect and I may fall back and gain some weight which made me stop beating myself up for it causing that cycle. I just realized that I am worth being happy and healthy for myself and that is what drives my decisions everyday when it comes to food and excercise. I also have tackled my own deamons which prevented me from losing weight (i was using my weight as a sheild). So maybe you just need to look into yourself and see what is keeping you from being the person you want to be. Once you are able to answer that question then maybe you can find your motivation to become that person. Hope this helps :)
  • vilyli6
    vilyli6 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I have been going through the same thing for the past month. My husband, the love of my life, left for 3 months to go overseas to spend time with his family and I feel completely lost. I promised him I would lose weight and take control of this problem and I intended to, but the sadness took over. Because I am an emotional eater, it hit me hard.

The thing that got me back on track finally was two things. No matter how badly I ate, I logged in here every single day and continued to read blogs and posts of encouragement. I didn't try to hide my failures to my friends on here. I told them I was messing up and why. Their responses to me made a difference. They didn't make me feel guilty and bad. They kept encouraging me. And finally, I had to sit with myself and ask myself "WHY?" I had to ask who was I doing this for and why I wanted this in the first place. I had to dig deep into myself and make myself believe (and I do!) that I am worth it. I don't deserve to have a life of an obese woman. I don't deserve to have people look at me with disgust when I am outside. I don't deserve to not be able to shop in the department stores that sell the cute, in-style clothes. Let's face it....fat clothes are not the greatest honestly! And I deserve to have a fun, active life with my wonderful husband and my family and to run and play with my baby granddaughters. And most of all, I deserve to be healthy. Find your "why." And keep logging on here and keep your friends who will stand by you through the good and bad times. You can add me if you like. We have a great group of ladies who are super encouragement. Good Luck!
  • sgha
    sgha Posts: 225
    Options
    You've already found your way back by posting your concerns. Just look at the before/after pics here on MFP. If they can.....we can!! Good luck.
  • DesertSunsetRain
    Options
    Maybe start small, don't set any goals that are too difficult to reach.

Start with a short 10 minute walk a day and then bump it up to 15. Maybe throw in an apple to your diet instead of a handful of chips. Just make small changes and then start setting goals for weight loss.