How Many of These Superfoods Are You Eating?

Options
1. Whole Eggs. Cheap & rich source of protein: 7g/egg. The yolk contains most nutrients: half the protein, vitamins A/D/E and cholesterol to naturally increase your testosterone levels.

Don't worry about cholesterol in eggs. Dietary cholesterol isn't bound to blood cholesterol. Read this, this, this & this. If you have bad cholesterol, lower your body fat rather than throwing the yolk away.

2. Fish Oil. Reduces inflammation (joints/skin), lowers body fat and increases testosterone levels. You need 9000mg EPA/DHA per day. Since you'll probably struggle to get that from eating fatty fish, consider a fish oil supplement.

3. Wild Salmon. One of the best sources of omega-3 fatty acids that also gets you 20g protein per 100g serving. Farm raised salmon is, however, omega-3 deficient: it's corn/grain fed. Go with wild salmon.

4. Berries. Strong antioxidants that prevent cancer, heart & eye diseases. Any kind works: cranberries, raspberries, blackberries, blueberries, etc. Buy fresh or frozen berries and mix with oatmeal.

5. Yogurt. Contain bacteria that improve your gastrointestinal health. Don't buy frozen yogurt or yogurt with added sugar and fruits at the bottom. Get plain low fat yogurt. Eat it with berries & flax seeds.

6. Flax Seeds. Source of fiber, protein & omega-3. Grind the flax seeds to get the most out of them. Take 1 tbsp with yogurt & berries before going to bed. Stay away from flax oil: it's unstable and contains no fiber.

7. Extra Virgin Olive Oil. 70% monounsaturated fats that protect against heart diseases and cancer. Add 1-2 tbsp olive oil to your salads. Buy Extra Virgin Olive Oil: it contains more polyphenols and tastes better.

8. Mixed Nuts. Contain mono- & polyunsaturated fats, proteins, fiber, vitamin E, zinc, potassium, magnesium, etc. Mixed nuts are caloric dense, great if you're a skinny guy who wants to gain weight.

Anything works: almonds, walnuts, cashews, hazelnuts, ... Peanut butter also works as long as you buy natural peanut butter without added salts/sugars.

9. Red Meat. Protein, vitamin B12, heme iron, zinc, creatine, carnosine and even omega-3 if you eat grass-fed beef. Eat steaks & hamburgers from top round or sirloin.

10. Broccoli. High in cancer-fighting phytochemicals and anti-estrogenic indoles. Broccoli is also high in soluble fiber and low calorie, helping fat loss. Eat other cruciferous vegetables for a change: cabbage, bok choy, cauliflower, kale, ...

11. Spinach. One of the most alkaline foods. Spinach prevents muscle & bone loss, but also cancer and heart diseases because of its high nutrient profile.

12. Turkey. If you don't believe saturated fat is good for you, try white turkey. The leanest beef has about 4.5g saturated fat/100g, while white turkey has close to 0g (that why it's so dry). Eat turkey with spinach & quinoa.

13. Quinoa. South American "king of grains". Quinoa is higher in fiber & protein than rice or oats, tastes a lot better and is gluten free. Buy the whiter grain, it's better quality. Eat it post workout with meat & spinach.

14. Oats. Reduce cholesterol, provide you with low-gi carbs for energy, and high in soluble fiber. Try this post workout shake of whey & oats.

15. Tomatoes. High in lycopene, which prevents cancer. The lycopene in tomato paste is 4 times more bioavailable than in fresh tomatoes. Have pizza or pasta with tomato sauce & olive oil post strength training.

16. Oranges. Vitamin C to fight diseases, magnesium to lower blood pressure, anti-oxidant beta-carotenes, etc. Quit drinking processed orange juice which often has added sugars. Eat oranges or make your own orange juice.

17. Apples. Pectin in apples helps weight loss by increasing satiety. Apples are also the strongest antioxidiant after cranberries (eat the peels). Unfortunately apples are one of the most pesticide-contaminated fruits. Go organic.

18. Carrots. Their huge vitamin A content improves eye-health, especially night vision. Carrots are also rich in fiber, low calorie and taste good, even raw.

19. Water. Your body holds water if you don't drink enough. Drinking prevents water retention, helps muscle recovery and prevents dehydration from strength training. Get a brita filter and drink 2 cups of water with each meal.

20. Green Tea. Strong antioxidant and natural diuretic. Green tea also speeds up fat loss, prevents cancer and improves blood sugar & circulation. Drink green tea in the morning instead of coffee. Real green tea, not the teabags.

Replies

• Elizabethhollmann
    Options
    I consistently eat eggs (and egg whites), salmon, berries, yogurt, extra virgin olive oil, broccoli, spinach, turkey, tomatoes and water! Kind of wish mushrooms and onions and zuccini were on this list! I have a 1200 cal limit and would love to find options other than veggies (even though they are delicious) to keep me within my fitness goals...any suggestions?
  • yesiamaduck
    yesiamaduck Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    1. Whole Eggs. ANYTHING with a whole egg in it then? Yes

2. Fish Oil. No

3. Wild Salmon. Don't like Salmon

4. Berries. Sometimes

5. Yogurt. Yes, the Cholestorol reducing stuff

6. Flax Seeds. No

7. Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Yes

8. Mixed Nuts. Hmmmmmm Nuts

9. Red Meat. Too right I do

10. Broccoli. Every Sunday

12. Turkey. Only on Christmas

13. Quinoa. Not really

14. Oats. Quite a lot

15. Tomatoes: Pretty much daily

16. Oranges. Almost every day in some shape or form... mainly juice

17. Apples. Not much

18. Carrots. Occasional

19. Water. I drink a lot

20. Green Tea. Don't drink Caffiene unless necessary

So about 10 regularly, am I going to die?
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Everything but flaxseeds and turkey ;-)
  • Elizabethhollmann
    Options
    Not sure how accurate this list really is but I figured I'd go with it!
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    All the animal-free ones have a prominent place in my diet :)
  • Veganniee
    Veganniee Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    1. Whole Eggs - All the time!

2. Fish Oil. No, vegetarian

3. Wild Salmon. See 2.

4. Berries. often have these for breakfast either in porridge oats or with natural yogurt

5. Yogurt. See above!

6. Flax Seeds. No

7. Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Sometimes

8. Mixed Nuts. Not as often as I should considering I'm vegetarian

9. Red Meat. No see 2 and 3

10. Broccoli. once a week

12. Turkey. Oh, getting bored of saying I'm vegetarian now!

13. Quinoa. No but I was going to buy some this week

14. Oats. Most breakfasts

15. Tomatoes: Every day

16. Oranges. Most days I suppose

17. Apples. Every day

18. Carrots. Most days

19. Water. Variable. It's getting colder so not so much!

20. Green Tea. Have 1 or 2 cups a day

Apart from the meat and fish which obviously I'm not going to eat, I don't think I do too bad!
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    17 of them the majority of the time.. i do wild salmon when i can, otherwise its farm, and ill throw in some green tea occasionally.
    so i guess im good? lol

flax seeds was the only "no" btw
  • Elizabethhollmann
    Options
    I actually did a detox diet and part of it was to drink ground up flax seeds every day with my breakfast. I definitely noticed a difference between drinking them and not drinking them... As my gay roomie would say...it feels like a bomb is going off in my uterus! Not the most ideal feeling in the world but at least you know it's working...maybe? :)
  • mangledspoon
    mangledspoon Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I eat all of those regularly except oranges. Yuck.
  • NPetrakis
    NPetrakis Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Chia seeds!!
  • nomorebackfat
    Options
    all of the above literally !!! guess im doing ok, id be doing better if FRUIT wasnt so damn expensive in Canada !
  • hparks76
    Options
    Cool. Thanks for the info. :)
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options

Me too. I don't like my superfoods to have been able to grin at me.
  • lindzmt22
    Options
    Bump!! Thank you for this list. :)
  • kouzzzz
    kouzzzz Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    All but the red meats. I do eat chicken.

I never knew that red meat is considered a super food?

How about Sardines, mackerel and trout. They are high in EFA's? Spirulina? Coconut Oil? Bee Pollen? Chlorella?
  • Rockin33
    Options
    Have been meaning to learn about chia seeds. Looked them up. Sounds like some power food I should add to my diet.
  • grobbygru
    grobbygru Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    1. Whole Eggs. yes - 3-4 a week maybe

2. Fish Oil. no pretty much vego

3. Wild Salmon. no pretty much vego

4. Berries. sometimes - not for a while - this reminds me

5. Yogurt. Once in a while when I can get good stuff - it disturbs me how they muck around with it now

6. Flax Seeds. no

7. Extra Virgin Olive Oil. If I ever cook with oil - this is it

8. Mixed Nuts. I eat almonds atm

9. Red Meat. No - def. vegetarian with this - ick

10. Broccoli. when I can - way prefer cauli

11. Spinach. Yes - often

12. Turkey. no - as per red meat - ick

13. Quinoa. Never heard of it

14. Oats. Yes - alot of breakfasts per week

15. Tomatoes. Yes - go through a bag a week maybe

16. Oranges. Just about one a day

17. Apples. Love them - allergic to them tho - so I don't get to eat them as much as I would like to

18. Carrots. Yes - often

19. Water. Could not LIVE without water for more than an hour!!!!

20. Green Tea. I don't like tea so I have never had this - I drink rooibos here and there tho - is this the same thing maybe?
  • jess3012
    Options
    bump!

I eat most of the foods on that list so i guess im doing good!
  • speedy001
    speedy001 Posts: 91 Member
    Options

Me too. I don't like my superfoods to have been able to grin at me.

I agree I too prefer my superfoods without bits and pieces of animals in them
  • Teliooo
    Teliooo Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    1. Whole Eggs. Cheap & rich source of protein: 7g/egg. The yolk contains most nutrients: half the protein, vitamins A/D/E and cholesterol to naturally increase your testosterone levels.

Don't worry about cholesterol in eggs. Dietary cholesterol isn't bound to blood cholesterol. Read this, this, this & this. If you have bad cholesterol, lower your body fat rather than throwing the yolk away.

3. Wild Salmon. One of the best sources of omega-3 fatty acids that also gets you 20g protein per 100g serving. Farm raised salmon is, however, omega-3 deficient: it's corn/grain fed. Go with wild salmon.

4. Berries. Strong antioxidants that prevent cancer, heart & eye diseases. Any kind works: cranberries, raspberries, blackberries, blueberries, etc. Buy fresh or frozen berries and mix with oatmeal.

7. Extra Virgin Olive Oil. 70% monounsaturated fats that protect against heart diseases and cancer. Add 1-2 tbsp olive oil to your salads. Buy Extra Virgin Olive Oil: it contains more polyphenols and tastes better.

8. Mixed Nuts. Contain mono- & polyunsaturated fats, proteins, fiber, vitamin E, zinc, potassium, magnesium, etc. Mixed nuts are caloric dense, great if you're a skinny guy who wants to gain weight.

Anything works: almonds, walnuts, cashews, hazelnuts, ... Peanut butter also works as long as you buy natural peanut butter without added salts/sugars.

9. Red Meat. Protein, vitamin B12, heme iron, zinc, creatine, carnosine and even omega-3 if you eat grass-fed beef. Eat steaks & hamburgers from top round or sirloin.

10. Broccoli. High in cancer-fighting phytochemicals and anti-estrogenic indoles. Broccoli is also high in soluble fiber and low calorie, helping fat loss. Eat other cruciferous vegetables for a change: cabbage, bok choy, cauliflower, kale, ...

11. Spinach. One of the most alkaline foods. Spinach prevents muscle & bone loss, but also cancer and heart diseases because of its high nutrient profile.

12. Turkey. If you don't believe saturated fat is good for you, try white turkey. The leanest beef has about 4.5g saturated fat/100g, while white turkey has close to 0g (that why it's so dry). Eat turkey with spinach & quinoa.

14. Oats. Reduce cholesterol, provide you with low-gi carbs for energy, and high in soluble fiber. Try this post workout shake of whey & oats.

15. Tomatoes. High in lycopene, which prevents cancer. The lycopene in tomato paste is 4 times more bioavailable than in fresh tomatoes. Have pizza or pasta with tomato sauce & olive oil post strength training.

16. Oranges. Vitamin C to fight diseases, magnesium to lower blood pressure, anti-oxidant beta-carotenes, etc. Quit drinking processed orange juice which often has added sugars. Eat oranges or make your own orange juice.

17. Apples. Pectin in apples helps weight loss by increasing satiety. Apples are also the strongest antioxidiant after cranberries (eat the peels). Unfortunately apples are one of the most pesticide-contaminated fruits. Go organic.

18. Carrots. Their huge vitamin A content improves eye-health, especially night vision. Carrots are also rich in fiber, low calorie and taste good, even raw.

19. Water. Your body holds water if you don't drink enough. Drinking prevents water retention, helps muscle recovery and prevents dehydration from strength training. Get a brita filter and drink 2 cups of water with each meal.

I eat all of the above. Not doing to bad :