I like to drink

Options

Replies

• JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I gave it up as well but for good.
    Oh, I still have a glass of vino at night - one glass.

Isn't that a bit contradicting??? :tongue: So which is it, did you give up or not?
  • april_beth
    april_beth Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    theres no happy medium...says the drunk. no really, look at my diary...*face palm*
  • Lenalistic
    Lenalistic Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    A lot of good advice...thanks guys and gals! I was worried about the "next step"...but I'll keep track of my calories and make sure I keep up my workouts.
  • fit4mom
    fit4mom Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options
    Also if you drink a glass of water after you drink. I know that it can cause weight gain.

Not been an issue for me.

Yeah that doesn't sound right to me either.
    Explanation??
    Sorry 2 different statements I should have hit return. Overindulging in drinking can cause weight gain, especially if it's on a regular basis instead of moderation. Drinking water after an alcoholic beverage is helpful.
  • pph79
    pph79 Posts: 78
    Options
    It's hard for me to do any type of moderation when i drink, so i tend to set aside a day out of the week where i drink what i want and not worry about it. Works for me, but others mileage may vary.
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Log everything. If you're getting adequate protein and fat, then go ahead and have a drink. If not, then don't have the drink.

This would be the healthiest way to go about it.
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I like to drink, but I really only drink at the weekends; hardly ever during the week... it's not something I've changed since I've been working on losing weight, that's just how thing are. :drinker:
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    A timely topic! I am going to a party tonight and am looking forward to 2 glasses of champagne! I don't drink on a regular basis anymore, so it does hit me kind of hard. I will also pay for it with insomnia. Just as well, I don't want to go through the DUI bs in California. I have lost my taste for drinking so much as I would much rather eat my food! I limit my drinking to special occasions. Seems there will be quite a few in the next few weeks and will limit all "events" to 2 glasses as that is more than enough alcohol for me as I get tipsy so easily!

Side note: As a career hospital nurse I can tell you the doctors that I worked with ALL agreed that 2 alcoholic drinks per day were defined as "maintenance drinking". As in the lowest level for the label "alcohol addiction". You may agree, or disagree, or call me or them names, but I am just telling you what my experience was for 26 years working on a medical floor with doctors in the hospital who asked their patients: "How much alcohol do you drink per day?" Then when they get the answer of at least "2 drinks per day" they know they are being lied to because as we all know, human nature is to downplay our faults and play up our achievements. It's just a basic starter question to find out why they have the medical issues that they do.

Food for thought.
  • Samsabee
    Options
    I suggest white wine. Sauvignon Blanc is my favorite white, it has a nice balance of flavors. White wine I hear is easier to digest than most alcohols. I find myself less bloated after a decent white than any alcohol. If I spend at least $12 on a bottle, it seems to settle well and feel nicer during drinking AND the next day.
  • blondishandbookish
    Options

Side note: As a career hospital nurse I can tell you the doctors that I worked with ALL agreed that 2 alcoholic drinks per day were defined as "maintenance drinking". As in the lowest level for the label "alcohol addiction". You may agree, or disagree, or call me or them names, but I am just telling you what my experience was for 26 years working on a medical floor with doctors in the hospital who asked their patients: "How much alcohol do you drink per day?" Then when they get the answer of at least "2 drinks per day" they know they are being lied to because as we all know, human nature is to downplay our faults and play up our achievements. It's just a basic starter question to find out why they have the medical issues that they do.

Food for thought.
    My only observation is all the doctors I''ve worked with/known/met in three different continents have all drunk way more than two alcoholic drinks per day.....
    As for the estimating, I knew someone in the army who told the truth (approx 80 units per week at the time) about his drinking - dr nearly fell off his chair having made the assumption and according calcuation he was underestimating.
  • annameier8706
    annameier8706 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    We host a lot of get together at our house, and they usually end up with a lot of alcohol comsumption. I've lost 14lbs in the last 2 months and have been to approx 4 parties in that time. As long as you are good the rest of the week, indulging in some spirits isn't going to hurt you. Just. Ake sure to drink lots of water during/after the indulgence or you will bloat...
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Vodka lime and soda (fresh lime not cordial)
    Gin and tonic
    Rum and diet coke

Spirits are about 60 or so calories per shot - if you mix in a 0 cal mixer and only drink in moderation - just count your calories, it's the same as anything really. They are empty calories though so keep that in mind :)
  • Thena81
    Thena81 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    get plenty of exercise!!! and drink lots of water. use moderation as well
  • FITnFIRM4LIFE
    FITnFIRM4LIFE Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I like to drink too so much so I have a special place in my diary labeled Drinks... no I don't have a problem. LOL

But I stick with wine, light beer or vodka and I log it in.

You took the words out of my mouth;-)
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Just do more cardio and you'll earn yourself the drink calories! :laugh:

It's what I used to do...now on maintenance and oddly enough I can eat my calorie intake then drink on top of that and not put on any weight, marvellous!!:bigsmile:
  • anacsitham5
    anacsitham5 Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    If you are home you can have gin (Choose a top shelf brand like bombay saphire or tangeray - cheap gin is awful). Mix it with diet tonic and squeeze in a quarter or half of a fresh lime! Love it! Regular tonic has 120 calories per 8 ounces. Diet has none. Each tonic has its own distinct flavor so try out a couple to you find the one you like. I personally detest polar. I love our store brand variety.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    If you don't work out every day, pick the night before a non-workout day to drink to keep the effects from slowing you down. Or anyway, I'm always half dead after a night of drinking and in no shape to exercise.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    I still drink-just switched my tonic to sugar/calorie free. Not given up my cocktails!
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Since I've started this weight loss plan, I've stopped drinking and I'm seeing results faster. BUT, avoiding alcohol is temporary for me. Anyone have any suggestions as to rules I can follow if I'm going to start drinking again?

drink a glass of water between each cocktail
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    If you are home you can have gin (Choose a top shelf brand like bombay saphire or tangeray - cheap gin is awful). Mix it with diet tonic and squeeze in a quarter or half of a fresh lime! Love it! Regular tonic has 120 calories per 8 ounces. Diet has none. Each tonic has its own distinct flavor so try out a couple to you find the one you like. I personally detest polar. I love our store brand variety.

Tangeray all the way!