alternative ways to burn calories?

Options
I'm not able to work out much, and sometimes it's too painful to walk/run.

But, I would really love ways to still burn calories without walking/running or standing up for a long period of time.

I do wii fit occasionally but it ends up making me limp for a few days :/

Replies

• Jadesfattorment
    Options
    I hear that people who tap there foot a lot of there hands or just figet, burn like 100 calories more a day.
    Eat foods that have "negative calories" I don't really know for sure if it works but they say eating radishes, cabbage and celery (just some of the many.) burn more calories digesting then when you eat them.
    Just try walking more when you can like when someone calls you, walk while you talk.
  • Tashabunny
    Tashabunny Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This is something I have had to struggle with for the last year and a half now. I have nerve injuries in both feet and cannot walk/stand/run/jump/kneel/etc. very well if at all.

I have been trying my best to get in SOME kind of exercise - I do the upper body and core workouts from P90X (sometimes just half though as I am fairly weak lol). I just don't do the exercises in the videos that require me to stand a lot or use my feet (lunges, squats, jumping, running, etc)

I also find that if I hang the hurt part of my feet off the pedals I can use a recumbent stationary bicycle as well.

You might be able to try swimming - I can't because I am a poor swimmer prone to ear infections from water - but it is excellent exercise.

If anyone else has some more ideas I am open to hearing them as well! Hopefully this thread will light up with answers soon. =)
  • Angelie28
    Angelie28 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Shadowboxing burns a ton of calories if you really commit to it.
  • luvmycandies
    luvmycandies Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Bike riding!! It is low impact and not harsh on your legs. Or swim if you are able to. I have bad knees and do both of these things when I can.
  • adjones5
    adjones5 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Maybe swimming?
  • bademasi
    bademasi Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I got a yoga fitness ball. It comes with an instruction page for exercises you can do to increase strength in feet, legs, stomach etc. I JUST LOVE MINE. My teen daughter suggested it. I got mine at the "Five Below" store and it was ony $5 :bigsmile:
  • bhoomilovesyoga
    Options
    You can do simples things like clean or some other chores that need to be done; simples things like mowing the lawn, raking, etc. can help you burn more and also be productive. Yoga is also extremely relaxing and a great way to get fit!!
  • emilysmellz
    emilysmellz Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I live in IL so swimming & bike riding are things I can't exactly do right now :|
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I hear that people who tap there foot a lot of there hands or just figet, burn like 100 calories more a day.
    Eat foods that have "negative calories" I don't really know for sure if it works but they say eating radishes, cabbage and celery (just some of the many.) burn more calories digesting then when you eat them.
    Just try walking more when you can like when someone calls you, walk while you talk.

There is no such thing as "negative calorie foods". This is a myth.

OP, what is causing the pain when you exercise? Do you have an injury or is it just the usual sore muscles after a workout?
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    I just do regular exercise that I enjoy & will continue to do. Works for me.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options

Basic movements like twitching and fidgeting do not burn that many calories and are already calculated into your TDEE.

As mentioned before, negative calories is a myth. Not even celery burns more calories digesting than it contains.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options

There is no such thing as "negative calorie foods". This is a myth.

OP, what is causing the pain when you exercise? Do you have an injury or is it just the usual sore muscles after a workout?

Yes. Definitely need to know why you can't do regular exercise. Do you have a disability or is there some other limiting factor that we should be aware of?
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Intrigued...
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,319 Member
    Options
    Walk your dog more.
  • shawnscott5
    shawnscott5 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Due to my back and knee problems, I bike and I do swim aerobics. Look into an indoor pool nearby, most of them offer some classes. I have notices that my back and my knee to not go out nearly as much. And I have been in 9 car wrecks, 4 motorcycle wrecks and one boat wreck. I have actually been able to start programs such as Hip Hop Abs and will be starting Turbo Jam or Fire in January. It takes time, but you can heal yourself.
  • shanolap
    shanolap Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    I know if I blow-dry my hair with a round brush (like the salon) my arms get really tired and burn. Like exercising.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    And I have been in 9 car wrecks, 4 motorcycle wrecks and one boat wreck. I have actually been able to start programs such as Hip Hop Abs and will be starting Turbo Jam or Fire in January. It takes time, but you can heal yourself.
    Holy cats!
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of exercises you can do in a pool to help lower the impact on your joints.
    http://www.lifescript.com/Body/Shape/Workout/Make_a_Splash_8_Pool_Exercises_to_Burn_Fat_Fast.aspx
  • Eleanorjanethinner
    Eleanorjanethinner Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    What about a yoga or pilates DVD? (and just don't do any exercises that hurt). There are plenty of lying down/ kneeling/ sitting exercises in yoga and pilates.
  • hofdog
    hofdog Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I have great calorie burning workout ideas....but not gonna post it in public :)