Exercising with a broken leg.

Options
Well, I'm totally bummed out. I just joined this less than two weeks ago and was already making progress and excited about making more progress. All that changed Friday when I was struck by a school bus while riding my bike. I have a broken leg, so weighing in will be difficult, let alone exercising. I know I can count walking on crutches as some exercise. Does anyone have some other exercise suggestions for someone injured and pretty much sedentary for a while?

Replies

• meggyannpt
    meggyannpt Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    That sucks about your leg!

I would recommend starting with an arm bike (also called an upper body ergometer). If you have joined a local gym, check and see if they have one. It's a good work way to get cardio without having to use your legs. Also focus on upper body exercises, such as bicep curls and triceps extensions with small dumbbells.

Just make sure you take care of yourself while on crutches. Hopefully someone sized your crutches and taught you how to use them correctly. You should have a couple fingers width space between the arm pad and your armpit. You don't want to add any more injuries! (Physical Therapy student...have to do my public service announcement)

Good luck!
  • efranz12
    efranz12 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I've been in your shoes... err cast! I had a really bad ankle break a couple years ago. As someone else said the arm bike is a good place to get some cardio in and walking on crutches is a good workout in and of itself. I also did chair yoga (still a really good workout) at my gym and swam with a pullbuoy once I had my walking cast and permission from my doctor of course. You can still lift weights, do crunches, etc, it's all just a little more complicated. Once your fully healed I'd strongly recommend water aerobics, super fun and super low impact cardio. It was great for my recovery process. Good luck!
  • Kohadre
    Kohadre Posts: 316
    Options
    Well, I'm totally bummed out. I just joined this less than two weeks ago and was already making progress and excited about making more progress. All that changed Friday when I was struck by a school bus while riding my bike. I have a broken leg, so weighing in will be difficult, let alone exercising. I know I can count walking on crutches as some exercise. Does anyone have some other exercise suggestions for someone injured and pretty much sedentary for a while?

I was going to suggest a stationary hand-cycle, but megancbell beat me to it :). Another option to the gym however is that walmart carries them for 20 some dollars I believe.

There is also the option of shadow boxing as well.