Measuring..

So do you all measure and weigh your foods consistently??
I did with Weight Watchers. I am just curious if it makes a big difference if it is not pre-packaged.
I am bad about just putting olive oil in a pan and not measuring it.

Replies

• Yup! I measure everything :D
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    unfortunately right now I am without my scale. The toughest thing to measure without it, is peanut butter. I guestimate, and I'm pretty sure I over-guestimate every time! oops! Next week I'll be back to my precious!
  • rhce40
    rhce40 Posts: 201 Member
    i usually measure things a couple times to see what so many ounces or a tablespoon will look like and then guesstimate from there because I don't do a lot of my own cooking (eat in the cafeteria at school ~5 times a week). I usually end up knowingly overestimating though just to be on the safe side
  • NotGoddess
    NotGoddess Posts: 1,198 Member
    I measure everything I can get nutrition info on by weight and go by weight over volume when possible.
    I also measure pre-packaged foods. If you do it a while you'll get to know which are reliable in weight and which have a variance that, while small, does add up.
  • tcraw15
    tcraw15 Posts: 223 Member
    I definitely measure everything, and am pretty good about converting oz to cups and whatnot.. eventually you are able to eyeball certain things.
  • mfp_1
    mfp_1 Posts: 516 Member
    I recommend using weight rather than volume for all solids.

Some people find it easier to estimate small amounts in grams. Scales and myfitnesspal both make it easier to identify and input 20 g than 7/10 ounces.