I need to Up my calories to loose weight :S

Options
hey there, 'im only new so i'm sorry if this sort of stuff has been posted before. I was wanting to know some questions regarding balanced eating plans.

I thought I had a good diet, full of healthy foods lots of veggies and fruits and low in saturated fat.
However when I went on a calorie counter, it told me that my body is going into starvation mode, as i am consuming too few calories. My food is generally the same thing everyday (as i am poor and cant afford different options :P)
here is a quick summary.

Breakfast (8am)- Fat free greek yoghut and bran cereal- a normal bowlfull
Snack (11am)- Apple
Lunch (1pm)- garden salad, cottage cheese, lean meats like turkey or ham( decent plateful sized)
Snack-(4pm)- Orange
Dinner-(7-8pm)- Veggies and lean meat, sometimes pasta it all depends
Calcium tablet supplements as i dont drink milk

I usually exercise about an hour a day ( half an hour HIIT cardio, and half an hour body weight exercises for toning)
I thought this would be a healthy balanced diet. Everyone says to eat lots of veggies and cut down pre packaged foods and lessen alcohol (i dont drink either). My job involves a lot of sitting down, so i exercise to keep healthy)

When i input this food plan into a calorie counter it only added up to about 900 calories (without taking off the calories used by exercise), apparently due to age and weight (21, 123 pounds/56kg) that this is too few calories and it should be around the 1200 calorie mark. I'm not exactly fat, but i do have a muffin top i want to get rid of and i cant see my toes unless i suck in my belly. I'd like to shed just a little bit of weight but im unsure on how to do this as apparently im already eating too few calories, i dont want my body to go into starvation mode and slow my metabolism down, but how do i loose those 2-3 extra kg and make my metabolism quicker without cutting my calories. any suggestions?

Thankyou for any advice, much appreciated.

Replies

• mattquit
    mattquit Posts: 175
    Options
    new here too so I hope you don't mind me asking you this question. Where do you see that MFP is telling you that your body is going to starvation mode?

Also there was a post like this earlier on what people mostly said is you should pick one. Look at your calories and don't exercise or exercise and eat all of your calories.
  • taxidermist15
    taxidermist15 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    once you update your logged food and excersise it gives you a approximate weight over time frame goal thing, underneath it sas im eating too few calories
  • sewedo1
    sewedo1 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    add in a couple extra snacks, such as peanutbutter with apple/banana/slice of wheat bread or a handfull of nuts even mixed with another yogurt to boost your calories in a nutritious way.