WHICH CALORIE TIMER IS RIGHT?? :S

Options
Okay i just worked out for 40 mins on crosstrainer and it shows on the cross trainer time that i lost 160 calories but when i write it down on MFP , it shows that i lost about 427 calories.. which one is right?? :S

Replies

• taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Neither, really. An HRM (heart rate monitor) would get you much closer.

In this particular case, I would discard that 160 number... that seems way too low for 40 minutes.
  • StevLL
    StevLL Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Most machines calculate for a 150lb person. MFP calculates basd on your height weight and age. I think MFP is a littel high sometimes, but more accurate than a machine. An HRM is the best bet.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    Most machines calculate for a 150lb person. MFP calculates basd on your height weight and age. I think MFP is a littel high sometimes, but more accurate than a machine. An HRM is the best bet.

i found it to be a little low. but i really push myself in my work outs.
  • melissalangelage
    Options
    Hello! The machine knows which intensity level and speed you were doing, and if it also asked for your weight then I would go with the machine. If it didn't ask for your weight, then it'll have used an average weight of like 75 kg so you need to adjust for yours. MFP knows your weight because you type it in everyday. But it doesn't know how fast you're going now which level.

427 seems awfully high. It usually takes me about 30 mins to burn 200 calories and I go quite fast and on level 10. I weigh 59 kg if that helps you scale x
  • xginanax
    xginanax Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Hello! The machine knows which intensity level and speed you were doing, and if it also asked for your weight then I would go with the machine. If it didn't ask for your weight, then it'll have used an average weight of like 75 kg so you need to adjust for yours. MFP knows your weight because you type it in everyday. But it doesn't know how fast you're going now which level.

427 seems awfully high. It usually takes me about 30 mins to burn 200 calories and I go quite fast and on level 10. I weigh 59 kg if that helps you scale x

I think then the machine was right, because i was just going on normal speed. but no did not ask me for height or weight.. i know with other cross trainers i used to do at the gym, 30 mins work out i would of burned about 180 calories thats also normal speed so it should be around that then im guessing. oh well looks like i might just go with the Machine so that way i feel bad for not burning as much calories and then just then end up working more! :)