whats the best ab building exercises to do at home

Options
im a mom of 4 kids two of them arehome with me all day long and i dont have access to a gym. i just have access to the netflix on my wii to rely on for exercise videos. im not sure what type of exercises i should be doing. they have dance videos that are slower simple dances and faster dances i cant keep up with. they have target toning exercises that are basic exercises, pilates and yoga videos, i need to lose the belly fat and tone the abs. what is best for me to do. dont really want to be stuck doing hours of sit ups. i also want better strength in general for my legs and arms as well and my back. im really weak.

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce, maintain a consistent caloric deficit and you will lose belly fat eventually
  • cxxviii
    Options
    I am a mom of two girls and I homeschool them so I am home a lot too. I bought a stability ball years ago and I use it in stead of a chair at my computer. When I school the kids I sit there and bounce and rock the ball (hard to explain without showing you).

A few days ago my husband asked how did my abs get so hard? Because he knows I never go to the gym or workout very much.

I sometimes run.

But really It's the ball. It forces you to work to sit up straight.

I bought two for my girls so now when we school, we are all "on the ball"
  • PBJunky
    PBJunky Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce, maintain a consistent caloric deficit and you will lose belly fat eventually

This^
  • cxxviii
    Options

This^

True, but if you don't have the muscle tone under your skin, you can loose all the fat you like and never look like you guys.
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I keep it simple.

Sit-ups and leg raises of various types on various inclines.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    While it's true that you can't "lose belly fat," you do need a strong core for many health reasons. As you are doing whatever it is that works for you to lose the weight, it's important to do some exercises that will involve your core. If you don't have anything in the way of weights, I recommend the following:

1. Push-ups. They will help your upper body strength and are a great core workout
    2. Small dumbbells. Spend a wee bit of money on some light dumbbells to do standing shoulder presses with. This will also help your core as you stabilize your body while pressing up the weight. You can also do bent over rows which are great for your upper back.
    3. Kettlebell. Get about a 10 or 15 lb kettlebell. With this you can do halos, swings, snatches, tgu's, and goblet squats. I know you probably don't know what any of these are, but it's irrelevant unless you have a bell ;)
    4. Squats. Start out with bodyweight squats. Once those are easy, you can do the goblet squats I mentioned above.
    5. Good mornings. You need something for your lower back, and you really can't get much out of deadlifts with low weight. Look up online to see what good mornings are. They look stupid easy, but trust me when I say that if you are out of shape, they are not.

This is all assuming you don't have access to a gym with a proper free weights set.
  • momof3and3
    momof3and3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    Cardio, Cardio, Cardio...to burn fat
    dancing, running, kickboxing...all work your core as you are burnig fat

toning: kettlebells

or just do pushups, planks, side planks, pilates...all will build your abs and strenghthen your arms, legs and back...
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    im a mom of 4 kids two of them arehome with me all day long and i dont have access to a gym. i just have access to the netflix on my wii to rely on for exercise videos. im not sure what type of exercises i should be doing. they have dance videos that are slower simple dances and faster dances i cant keep up with. they have target toning exercises that are basic exercises, pilates and yoga videos, i need to lose the belly fat and tone the abs. what is best for me to do. dont really want to be stuck doing hours of sit ups. i also want better strength in general for my legs and arms as well and my back. im really weak.

A body starts in the kitchen. Follow the food pyramid, you can never go wrong there. Drink water, it helps with losing the fat. You can't spot reduce, but you can spot tone. They aren't the same. Check Netflix to see if they have Tae Bo Insane Abs, if so, try incorporating the workout into you routine, you will see a difference.