tattoos!!!

Options
man as im losing weight im gaining more self confidence and in other words gaining bigger balls! lol im a big baby and dont have a very good pain tolerance, but this big baby is thinking about getting her very first tattoo! im still debatin on where to get it though, i still have a lot more weight to lose, so i want to get it somewhere where its not going to shrink, so i thought about getting it in the middle of my upper back, that and that way i cant watch it being done so i cant freak out lol, and the tattoo im going to get is going to be 3 monkeys a hear no evil speak no evil see no evil monkey and then on top i want it to say isabella jane and on the bottom it will say september 20 2008- october 12 2008, so it will be a mix of what i like and also a memorial tattoo for my neice :) so give me your opinions on places that dont hurt as much or that wont shrink from losing weight!!! :)

Replies

• Troy67
    Troy67 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Upper arms don't really hurt at all and I have lost 160 pounds and don't notice any problems.
  • inn0c3ntbbygrlx3
    Options
    thanks but its gunna be sort of a bigger tat!
  • 4thehardman
    4thehardman Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    I have a tattoo that cover most of my back. The area over the spine hurt the most but it wasn't unbearable. Its a bit like getting scratched with a biro lid!
    My tatto started as a shark in the middle of my back but it looked a bit stationary and lonely so I had a very large tribal tattoo around it. I had it done 13 years ago and I still love it.
  • jiggs31
    jiggs31 Posts: 117
    Options
    Yep I have three on my back - top right, bottom all the way across and top middle.

The ones on my back were definitely the least painful of my many! The spine gets a bit gnarly but the rest is fine
  • thebamboophoenix
    thebamboophoenix Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I have two - one small one on my lower trunk, just above my pubic line (left side) and another on my lower back (which is quite big).

I do have quite a high pain threshold, but the small one really didn't hurt, I felt the needle 'drag' as such, but I wouldn't say it hurt. It's a butterfly so it's quite colourful, which maybe made the difference as the black ink goes in deeper (apparently).

The one on my lower back hurt! It's a phoenix (quite big) and it was done by bamboo in Thailand (sometimes known as tap tattoo). That was sore, partly due to the bamboo method but also there was less 'padding' on my lower back obviously. I also got that done in one session, it took around 4 hours, as I just wanted it over and done with once he'd started.

Whatever you do, research your artist and agree a schedule that suits you. At the end of the day, you are having a needle / needles plunged into your skin so there is going to be an element of discomfort. My advice would be to accept that as part of the process - the biggest issue is being sure you pick the right spot on your body and have the right thing tattoo'd for you. The pain fades, the tattoo lasts forever.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    Whatever you do, research your artist and agree a schedule that suits you. At the end of the day, you are having a needle / needles plunged into your skin so there is going to be an element of discomfort. My advice would be to accept that as part of the process - the biggest issue is being sure you pick the right spot on your body and have the right thing tattoo'd for you. The pain fades, the tattoo lasts forever.

This is prefect advice.

Also bear in mind that most pain that has a good conclusion is tolerable. My tattoo's always hurt a lot but not to the point I couldn't do it simply because there was an end result that I really wanted coming from it. In that way it's a bit like exercise.
  • allie7383
    allie7383 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Great advice in regards to this topic. I have one on my lower back and upper and shoulders. Basically the closer to the bone you get/less padding in a spot you have, you're gonna feel it more. As mentioned before, at the end of the day it's a needle going into your skin so it's not gonna be painless, though I didn't find it unbearable either. If you can chat it up with the person doing it, or can bring someone in to distract you, it takes the edge off.
  • Kslice39
    Kslice39 Posts: 146
    Options
    To be honest I fell asleep during my tattoo. It took 6 hours and it's pretty big lol it goes from the right side of my back across my ribs on to my stomach...at first I was nervous but it didn't really hurt too much at all, maybe I have I high pain tolerance idk. My he's advice would be to not amp yourself up. You know it's going to hurt a little so try not to stress. Stay relaxed :) it's pretty kool watching them tattoo you!
  • SmartFunGorgeous
    SmartFunGorgeous Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    You can also take an OTC pain killer like ibuprofen or Tylenol about 15-30 minutes before you start. My only issue was placement. Mine is on my hip, and I had tiny invisible stretch marks there from when I went through a growth spurt as a teen, I guess, and those two lines didn't take the ink as well. Otherwise, I just found it mostly uncomfortable. I plan on getting another when I reach goal.
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    My one and only is above my ankle, I like it there fine, because I can see it when I want and cover it with slacks or opaqe tights when it isn't appropriate. Nice part about living in the Black Hills of SD, tatoos are always appropriate! ;-)
  • ♥Faerie♥
    ♥Faerie♥ Posts: 14,053 Member
    Options
    You will be fine, my first was the wings on my back, it took about 2 1/2 hours....I think the worst place I have had was my collarbones, I just have no meat there and the needle was literally vibrating my bones! But it was still bearable, I am actually going for my next one this weekend, cannot wait!

Make sure you are absolutely positive of what you want, and like others have said, make sure to research the artist and get a good one, if they have a very steady and light hand it makes a world of difference in the pain you will have...

Good luck♥
  • inn0c3ntbbygrlx3
    Options
    thanks for all the advice, I'm fine with what I'm getting and I'm sure ill be ok with where I'm getting it now my only fear is that it will shrink bc I haven't hit my goal weight yet.....hmmmm
  • inn0c3ntbbygrlx3
    Options
    so to update you all, i got 2 tats within 2 weeks of each other, i got one on my foot ouch! and got my nose pierced, hurt worse than my tongue, tat didnt hurt as bad as i thought it would lol and then i also got a tat on my back, hurt way worse than my foot but that was because of the shading, the outline didnt hurt it was the shading that did! lol