calories burned???? help!

Options
i don't have one of those cool calorie counters you wear. i walk with my ipod, about 30 min. not sure how fast. probably between 3.5-4 mph. i use the pedometer on the ipod and it says that i burned 447 in 30 minutes of walking, with 2 very short bursts of jogging and a couple stairs i found. when i go to log it into myfitnesspal it says way less calories than my ipod. at 4 mph it said i burned 220. how can the ipod and this site be so far off? and which is right?

Replies

• SharadaRose
    Options
    C/min = (-20.4022 + 0.4472 x HR - 0.1263 x weight + 0.074 x age) / 4.184

This is the equation for how many calories you personally burn. Then you can change the calorie amount in the tracker to match..

However I could get the equation right when i did mine. So let me know if it works for you
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    4 mph for 30 minutes is about 2 miles. So, 220 would be more accurate than 447. The average person burns roughly 100 calories (give or take, hills, m/f etc) per mile.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Does your ipod have you enter your age, gender and weight? If not, it's giving a very general estimate and it's hard to say what they base that on. MFP numbers aren't always that accurate but based on my experience at walking about that pace (and using a Polar FT4 HRM), I'd say the 220 is the right one.

ETA: I just tried that formula and it came up with a very weird number...can you share where you got it?
  • mcovillion
    Options
    that equation totally confused me, but thanks for trying to help. seems like my ipod is way off