i don't know if i can do this X( its so difficult

Options
ok so im trying to run about 3 miles a day and a little bit of ab work outs. i hope i can do it. its on a 60 day calendar i made and i did skip one day im on my 7th day not counting the one i missed what do you think?

Replies

• _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    You don't have to run every single day. In fact, taking 1 or 2 days off during the week would be good for you. If you're just starting out with running, it's probably going to be more sustainable if you work up to a goal rather than start out by making yourself do that much.
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Make your goals attainable, following a plan that you already feel like you can't do is a recipe for disaster.
  • LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I don't know how long you've been running.. I'm not sure where you are on your fitness journey, but here's how it went for me: I have always been athletic and strong, even when I was heavy. I began running last year about this time. I had to do C25K, three days a week, but 60 minutes instead of 30. Eventually when I was able to run the whole 3 miles at once crack, we moved up from 3 days a week to four.. then to five.. I could only do about two days in a row at a time, then have a rest day, then a couple more. Otherwise I was utterly exhausted all the time and my workouts began to suffer. It's not worth it, I've got the rest of my life to get/be healthy, I don't need to do it in a hurry. After several months, I could do three days of workouts but needed a rest day. Now I can do six in a row, I take a rest day once a week. By now I'm pretty seasoned, I've put in hundreds and hundreds of miles (I spent six months training for a half marathon, I logged well over 300 miles just training for that), and I also do toning and strength work as well. Keep at your training, but don't get in a hurry. Consistency is the important thing in long term fitness.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    How much are you eating?

Don't make it more difficult for yourself by not eating. Make sure to eat your exercise calories, eat all the way to your goal, and take a break once in a while.
  • suncharmn
    Options
    Sweetie, pampering in between runs is essential. Even marathon training guides (I like Hal Higdon's online ones) tell the trainees to only run 4 days a week. I personally believe 3 days a week for the non-racer. Instead, if you focus on running better and longer on those 3 runs a week, you will see and feel the improvements. This way the running is a happy thing- something to enjoy (like the time you finally have to yourself)... not a punishment or an obligation.

You can do this. Sounds like you have amazing will power. Please don't be so tough with your schedule... and then bust out those workouts 3x a week, and don't miss a one!
  • Lizzy_Sunflower
    Lizzy_Sunflower Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    You don't have to run every single day. In fact, taking 1 or 2 days off during the week would be good for you. If you're just starting out with running, it's probably going to be more sustainable if you work up to a goal rather than start out by making yourself do that much.
    How much are you eating?

Don't make it more difficult for yourself by not eating. Make sure to eat your exercise calories, eat all the way to your goal, and take a break once in a while.

My advice in addition the the quotes above, is just not to set yourself up for a burn out. Take things slowly, and build on your baby steps. Habit building takes time. This is not a race.

You can do it!! :flowerforyou:
  • robinogue
    robinogue Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    Make your goals attainable, following a plan that you already feel like you can't do is a recipe for disaster.

I agree, start off with smaller goals and work your way up. When I first started working out, my goal was once a week, then twice a week and so on. Know I can go all 7 days with no break if I feel like it.
  • jacquelinegrc
    Options
    ohh man i never saw it that way. i guess how i was looking at it was like if i just excercise and work out i can get to my ideal weight faster but i can see it will not be sustainable. i never really worked out before so im not used to running nor just regular work out. i can say it is not difficult to do 3 miles a day but i do get fed up with it. my calorie count is 1200 but when i work out i lose about 460 calories so i do tend to eat more. Thank you everyone for your advise! made a big difference on how i was approaching things :smile: