New to weight lifting - advice?

Options
Ok, so I've gotten over the notion of women bulking up whilst weightlifting, and I'm on it (only started 2 weeks ago though :D)
However, I dont know if what I'm doing is right...
My routine is (3 series of each, every other day, takes about 40mins)

warm up (3 mile run)

10 x step-ups with 2x6kg dumbells
15 x squats with 15kg bar
10 x step-up lounges with 2x6kg dumbells (keeping one leg on the platform while doing lounges)
15 x push ups
15 x chest press - 20kg

plus
30mins cardio (x-trainer, or treadmill intervals)
20 mins swim, light effort

I'm 5'1" and 125lbs, size 10 (tight), want to go down to size 8 (coomfortable), not really bothered about the weight. I'm eating between 1500-1800 cals a day, 40-35-25 c-p-f macros ratio.
Am I doing it right? My muscles are really sore the day in between the workouts, so I dont know if I'm going too hard...
Any experts out there?

My gym offers personal trainer advise, but he "advised" me not to use any weights while doing sqats etc, and to use machines at the lowest weight to tone up. I dont want to ask his advise again.

Replies

• AlwaysWanderer
    AlwaysWanderer Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Oh, and should I do weightlifting if I'm still sore from the last session? Thanks!
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    i would suggest looking for a routine online. Not full body. Also forget about less weight to tone up. Lift something that you can barely make the 10 rep. Always keep good form.
    The routine should be a 3 day split. You are not working out your shoulders or arms and push ups are barely decent.
  • tangal88
    tangal88 Posts: 689
    Options
    Ok, so I've gotten over the notion of women bulking up whilst weightlifting, and I'm on it (only started 2 weeks ago though :D)
    However, I dont know if what I'm doing is right...
    My routine is (3 series of each, every other day, takes about 40mins)

warm up (3 mile run)

10 x step-ups with 2x6kg dumbells
    15 x squats with 15kg bar
    10 x step-up lounges with 2x6kg dumbells (keeping one leg on the platform while doing lounges)
    15 x push ups
    15 x chest press - 20kg

plus
    30mins cardio (x-trainer, or treadmill intervals)
    20 mins swim, light effort

I'm 5'1" and 125lbs, size 10 (tight), want to go down to size 8 (coomfortable), not really bothered about the weight. I'm eating between 1500-1800 cals a day, 40-35-25 c-p-f macros ratio.
    Am I doing it right? My muscles are really sore the day in between the workouts, so I dont know if I'm going too hard...
    Any experts out there?

My gym offers personal trainer advise, but he "advised" me not to use any weights while doing sqats etc, and to use machines at the lowest weight to tone up. I dont want to ask his advise again.

Cant comment specifically on your routine, will leave that to those who are more knowledgeable then I am.

But just wanted to add.

Lifting heavy IS the way to go. And do weights on squats and everything, that you reasonably can. Just use caution, and build up slowly, focusing on good form first to get the exercises down. Once you learn proper form, then you can slowly up your weight as you are comfortably able. "Light" weights are not going to give you the results you are looking for. There is really no such thing as "toning". To get the tight lean look, you need to stress the muscles.

If you have injury areas, such as knees, then use common sense not to over work them. Using lighter or no weights until they are conditioned enough to allow you to comfortably use heavier weights. I have a past knee dislocation issue, I have had to carefully work around. I lift heavy on squats, lunges and so on. But just needed to gradually build up, working slowly on that knee, until it was strong enough to function as I needed.

I am 5'2", wear a size 8/9 and weight 147 lbs. I just wanted to add that, to let you know that heavy lifting WILL give you the tighter body structure you are looking for, and don't' panic if you see some scale weight change going up. Measure your inches, and you will see, with some time, that you are tightening up, and leaning out, even if the scale looks heavy. :) Get out those skinny jeans, and keep trying them on to compare, from month to month. :)

Last time I was at this weight, I wore about 2 sizes larger in clothing, and lots of jiggle. Now I am heavier, and very very tight, no jiggle, and wear smaller sizes, so I look much smaller then my weight appears to show..

I am still not at the body fat level I desire, so am still losing.

But just wanted to encourage you, since we are similar height, and you have a similar goal size, even though I weigh much differently then you. We probably carry our weight in different areas. I am a curvy hourglass figure, with a small waist, and larger hips and bust - so if you are a pear shape for example, you would carry your weight differently then me.

I would suggest you make sure you are consuming enough lean protein, that is key for me in both weight loss, and muscle conditioning. When I neglect that, I see my performance go down, and results drop.
    Protein, and a BCAA inter or post workout drink can help with soreness. (branch chain amino acids)

Not everyone feels these are helpful, but for me, I can see a definite improvement in soreness from inclusion of both these items. My husband also finds he needs them as well.

I like the Xtend BCAA intra workout supplement/drink powder. (not sure if thats available to you, but there are many other brands around that will work similar)
    I have a couple protein powders i use daily, depending on my calorie needs that day. I can't always get in the protein amounts I need from food only. (1 gram per pound of lean body weight)

It is OKay to still workout when you are sore, and it can actually help ease soreness, as you are increasing circulation in the muscles, which you need.

With time, you will notice you are less sore, though you will often have some stiffness, and tenderness, especially when adjusting your routine or weight load. But it is usually less severe, compared to when you were beginning.

New Rules For Lifting for Women is a great book to start out with.

Good Luck!
  • AlwaysWanderer
    Options

Cant comment specifically on your routine, will leave that to those who are more kinowledgable then I am.

But just wanted to add.

Lifting heavy IS the way to go. And do weights on squats and everything, that you reasonabley can. Just use caustion, and build up slowly, focusing on goodfd form first to get the exercises down. Once you learn proper form, then you can slowly up your weight as you are comfortably able.

If you have injury areas, such as knees, then use common sense not to over work them. Useing lighyter or no weights until they are conditioned enough to allkow you to comfortably use heavier weights.

I am 5'2", wear a size 8/9 and weight 147 lbs. I just wanted to add that, to let you know that heavy lifting WILL give you the tighter body structer you are looking for, and dont' pacnic if you see some scale weight change going up. Measure your inches, and you will see, with some time, that you are tightening up, and leaning out, even if the scale looks heavy. :)

Last time I was at this weight, I wore about 2 sizes larger in clothing, and lots of jiggle. Now I am heavier, and very very tight, no jiggle, and wear smaller sizes, so I look much smaller then my weight appears to show..

I am still not at the body fat level I desire, so am still loosing.

but just wanted to encourage you, since we are similar height, and you have a similar cgoal size, even though I weigh much differently then yoiu. I am an hourglass figure, so if you are a pear shape for eample, you would carry your weight differently then me.

I would suggest you make sure you are consuming enough lean protein, that is key for me in both weight loss, and muscle conditioning. When I neglect that, I see my performance go down, and results drop.
    Protein, and a BCAAinter or post workout drink can help with sorness.

Controvesy arount this, but for me, I can see a definate improvment in soreness from incluision of both these items.

I like the Xtend BCAA intra workout suppliment/drink powder.
    I have a cuple protein powders i use daily, depending on my calorie needs that day.

It is OKay to still workout when you are sore, and it can actually help ease sorness, as you are increasing circulation in the muscles, which you need.

With time, you will notice you are less sore, though you will often have some stiffness, and tenderness, especially when adjusting your routine or weight load. But it is usually less severe, compared to when you were beginning.

New Rules For Lifting for Women is a great book to start out with.

Good Luck!

Thanks a lot! Great advise :)
    I've heard about this book, might have to get that. I'm getting between 130-150g of protein a day, all natural (no powders), but I'm still really sore. I guess it will adjust after awile, as I'm still new to it. It is good to feel the burn though, at least I know I'm working hard!
  • deathstarclock
    deathstarclock Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    get a trainerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • AlwaysWanderer
    Options
    :huh: Soooo helpful...
  • PepeGreggerton
    PepeGreggerton Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    There's good routines out there. I've used a couple I found on-line. Visual Impact, and Adonis Index... Both guys have programs geared for women.

But I would recommend lifting heavy and low reps for strength and muscle density.
  • cbear017
    cbear017 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I'm on Stage 2 of the New Rules of Lifting for Women and I LOVE it! I'd also highly recommend that you look into buying it and using it to help you get started. As your program is currently configured you'd need a day of rest in between workouts because yours is a full body routine. Also try alternating your upper body and lower body work (e.g. squats then chest then lunges, etc.) to give your muscles more rest in between.

Do not be afraid of lifting heavy.

One more thing: I'd suggest a much lighter warm-up. Three miles is way too much. Do a 5-min. light jog instead and save the cardio for afterwards if you must, although I'd refrain from doing anything longer than 15-min because your muscles will probably be fatigued if you're working them like you should. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
  • deathstarclock
    deathstarclock Posts: 512 Member
    Options

It's very helpful. A trainer will give you the best advice concerning attempting weight lifting :)
  • mystiedragonfly
    mystiedragonfly Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    If your gym offers it, get a trainer. If not, look up all those exercises on YouTube so that you know proper form.

Like mentioned before, use weights that you can barely make the 10th rep on.

If you are not on a machine (like the smith machine for squats) ask someone to spot you.

Add bench press and dead lifts.

Eat ALL your allowed calories! And add protein. If you don't, you will be starving and tired after two weeks of this kind of work out and want to give up.
  • PepeGreggerton
    PepeGreggerton Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I disagree with the being able to lift to ten, more like can only do 3 sets of 3-5. for smaller, denser muscles.

If you want to build endurance and size train to chemical failure, use lighter weights and do 3 sets of 13, or 2 sets of 21
  • AlwaysWanderer
    Options

It's very helpful. A trainer will give you the best advice concerning attempting weight lifting :)
    I know, if I could only afford it... And the ones that my gym offers arent very good, as mentioned above :grumble:

I love the way you used "attempting" lol
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Any experts out there?

three parts

Soreness: Can you tell the difference between soreness and injury? Assuming you can, if you are sore actually one of the things that can help to alleviate that is to lift again. Obviously you need to give yourself time to rest, but with adequate rest lifting while a little bit sore can help, and eventually that soreness should go away or at least diminish. If it doesn't, consider putting 2 days between lifting rather than 1 (One day should be enough though).

Doing it right: Do you have an active plan for increasing the difficulty on your workouts? Lifting 'heavy' doesn't really refer to the actual weight you're lifting, but to the fact that you progress your workout by adding weight as often as safely possible. Make sure you don't stay with a set amount of weight, if you can do 15kg on your squats today, add 2kg the next time you do it, and continue to add 2kg on the next workout EVERY time you successfully complete the workout. For this reason I would suggest doing bench press instead of pushups. You can do weighted pushups but it's easier to control the weight on bench. It will get uncomfortable after a while, but that's the crux of lifting heavy. Also I would suggest working in sets. 3 sets of 8 reps, 5 sets of 5 reps, something like that (5x5 is my personal favorite). I've had a lot of success with stronglifts, and I highly recommend it as a starting point when learning to lift heavy: http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/.

It doesn't have to be exactly like that, but replacing your stepups with Deadlifts (barbell deads or good mornings as an alternative), Barbell rows (seated rows as an alt), and Pullups (lat pulldowns as an alt) would be a good thing and hits your whole body. I love stepups myself, but I do them as a cardio activity and not a strength training activity, for me to do stepups with the kind of weight I would need, I would be worried about getting injured.

As for diet, rather than going for a percentage I would suggest looking at setting minimums and going from there. From here:
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/diet-percentages-part-1.html
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/diet-percentages-part-2.html

Hope this helps, I'm not an expert though.