trouble getting derailed by stress

Hi. I need advice. I do good with exercise and nutrition until something stressful happens. Like, I get criticized at work or a fight with a friend. Then I just feel sad and want to eat and not work out. Anyone else like this? How do you keep yourself from getting derailed?

Replies

• I have the very same problem.
  • crepes_
    crepes_ Posts: 583 Member
    Stressful moments don't derail me as much as prolonged periods of stress. These past 3 months (this semester in graduate school) have been really stressful. I haven't lost a pound. I go up and go back down, but stay at or above the weight I began the semester with.

But for your situation, you should really turn to exercise. A good cardio workout that will really kick your butt. Endorphins release in your brain, giving you that same euphoric feeling that you get when you take that first bite of something delicious. Except, instead of punishing yourself with food for that sad feeling that you have, you're distracting yourself from that emotion with something healthy. I know it's harder to start a workout as opposed to grabbing a cheeseburger, but if you have the will power, the payoff is so much greater. And you won't feel guilty afterwards. You'll feel both proud of yourself and happy from the exercise. Give it a go!
  • lildeer1
    lildeer1 Posts: 5 Member
    I will try this. Thank you.