Timex HRM question

Options
Okay, I was shopping at the outlets and the Timex store had a good deal on their 30 lap HRM watch. I thought I set the whole thing up this morning, went to the gym and was able to see my HR while I ran - good. After my workout I went to Review and there's no thing in there. No Average HR, No Calories, nada. Does anyone know what I forgot to do to make that track? Any info would be appreciated, my brain is becoming mush the closer we get to Christmas. Thanks!

Replies

• lunamare
    lunamare Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I'm a moron. I didn't hit the Chrono button before I started, I realize that now. This video is actually pretty good if anyone has issues with a Timex HRM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQW3yh8VKuE
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    In all honesty.. Return the Timex and get a Polar.

Timex is absolutely awful at calculating calories burned because they automatically assume you are a male.. and give you the calorie burn of one.
  • stingrayinfl
    stingrayinfl Posts: 284 Member
    Options

Timex is absolutely awful at calculating calories burned because they automatically assume you are a male.. and give you the calorie burn of one.
    You can input your age, sex, height, weight and other info.
  • lunamare
    Options

If I wanted a Polar I would have bought a Polar. I really don't want to start an argument here over a stupid question that I asked but I sort of resent people who give unwanted advice that has absolutely nothing to do with the question asked.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options

You can input your age, sex, height, weight and other info.

No you can't.. You can only enter weight and max heart rate. Nothing about gender, height or age. I know.. I had one.

To OP:
    Do what you want.... but when it gives you a really inflated calorie burn, don't come whining on here about how it doesn't work and say I didn't warn you.
  • lunamare
    Options
    No you can't.. You can only enter weight and max heart rate. Nothing about gender, height or age. I know.. I had one.

To OP:
    Do what you want.... but when it gives you a really inflated calorie burn, don't come whining on here about how it doesn't work and say I didn't warn you.

Wow. Are you really this mean and nasty in real life? Obviously you don't know me from a hole in the wall and I think I'd like to keep it that way.

Thanks to anyone who had anything constructive to add to this question. It's been answered.
  • Stacyanne324
    Stacyanne324 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I also chose a Timex over a Polar (gasp!). :) It may not be as good overall but it is enough for me and the price was right. I'm sure all models are different but mine at least does not take any info but my weight so it was giving me way too high of a calorie burn. To get around this I only use it to determine my average HR during the workout. Once I have that info I plug it into the calculator at: http://www.braydenwm.com/calburn.htm and enter the other info specific to me to get a more accurate picture. I have it bookmarked so it only takes a couple seconds each time. Good luck!!
  • lunamare
    Options
    Thanks Stacyanne! I hate the way the Polar ones look, which was why I kept looking for another watch. I want something I can wear even if I'm not working out like a fiend. When I was a lifeguard/head lifeguard, athletic trainer (my degree is in sports medicine) and personal trainer, I swore by Timex Ironman watches. I beat the living snot out of mine and they lasted forever. Typically I only replaced them when all of the lettering was worn off and the strap finally let go. Having that good relationship with Timex (they mean it when they say "takes a licking and keeps on ticking") and the fact that their watches appear more attractive "to me" I went with a Timex. Knowing full well that this is a very inexpensive one, knowing full well that everyone who drinks the coolaid talks bad about them. I figured if I grew to like the idea of this I might invest in a more expensive one later, but for now, this is great. I'm using that site too. Right now it appears that the Timex is a bit high, so I'm not swearing by it but using the lower numbers calculated. I'd rather underestimate my calories burned and over estimate my calories eaten then the other way around.
  • Stacyanne324
    Stacyanne324 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    My pleasure! People do get testy on here when you mention a brand that isn't Polar. LOL But, I had the same reasoning as you (except carin about what it looks like because I never leave the house in mine). I didn't want to plunk down a ton of cash. Maybe later but for now I'm liking my Timex well enough. Good luck to you!!