elliptical trainers

Options
Hi

I am a bit stuck I bought my elliptical end november and I have been consistant in using it at least 3 times a week built myself up to going for 40 mins and 4 - 5 times a week it has 10 resistance levels I started on 6 and now on 7 felt good today and did 45mins was sweating like a pig afterwards but not uncomfortable. However I was only managing to keep my rpm thingy to 60 but today I kept it at 62 - 64 without too much extra effort. (gave up monitoring pulse rate as it is an earlobe thing that when you get hot and sweaty starts to give out bogus readings and it was distracting me)

Don't get me wrong I definately push myself but my question is
do I increase the intensity and stick with 40 - 45 mins
increase the intensity and lower the time and work my way back up to 45 mins gradually (I don't want too screw myself up and have to miss a workout for over exertion)
or increase the time to 50 mins

If anyone knows the best answer or attends a gym where they have given advice on this I would be grateful if you could let me know I am no expert the elliptical is in my garage and I am getting conflicting advice on the web 1 site even says that elliptical trainers do not help weight loss I think this is rubbish as with carefully controlled diet last week and lots of hard work elliptical walking housework etc I lost 14lbs in 7 days couldn't believe it when I weighed in this week I will be back on track soon.

Sorry to go on I feel fitter but I don't want to waste a minute of my time when I am working out as that is time away from the kids so I want and need every minute to count.

Thank you
:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

Replies

• vicky1
    vicky1 Posts: 236
    Options
    Hi

I am a bit stuck I bought my elliptical end november and I have been consistant in using it at least 3 times a week built myself up to going for 40 mins and 4 - 5 times a week it has 10 resistance levels I started on 6 and now on 7 felt good today and did 45mins was sweating like a pig afterwards but not uncomfortable. However I was only managing to keep my rpm thingy to 60 but today I kept it at 62 - 64 without too much extra effort. (gave up monitoring pulse rate as it is an earlobe thing that when you get hot and sweaty starts to give out bogus readings and it was distracting me)

Don't get me wrong I definately push myself but my question is
    do I increase the intensity and stick with 40 - 45 mins
    increase the intensity and lower the time and work my way back up to 45 mins gradually (I don't want too screw myself up and have to miss a workout for over exertion)
    or increase the time to 50 mins

If anyone knows the best answer or attends a gym where they have given advice on this I would be grateful if you could let me know I am no expert the elliptical is in my garage and I am getting conflicting advice on the web 1 site even says that elliptical trainers do not help weight loss I think this is rubbish as with carefully controlled diet last week and lots of hard work elliptical walking housework etc I lost 14lbs in 7 days couldn't believe it when I weighed in this week I will be back on track soon.

Sorry to go on I feel fitter but I don't want to waste a minute of my time when I am working out as that is time away from the kids so I want and need every minute to count.

Thank you
    :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • GinaB30
    GinaB30 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    I definately think that elliptical aid in weight loss, after all they are a cardio workout.
    I've lost 9 lbs so far, and the elliptical is all I use for exercise most days. I'm not sure about the amount of time vs resistance though, wish I could help!
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't go over an hour at a time. I think it's better to get your heart rate up to the 75-85% range for 30 minutes than to stay at the 65% range for an hour.
  • jessneill
    jessneill Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    intervals are very good for weight loss.

Try doing 45 minutes where you alternate between 2 minutes at a lower level like 3 and 2 minute at a higher level like 8. It really burns out the calories! :smile:
  • rockymtnguy
    Options
    My personal opinion is that if you are getting good resistance at level 7, increase your time build more endurance, increasing both rpm and distance a bit more each day. You get a new goal each day, yesterday, I did x(dis) and y(rpm) in z (amount of time). Thus giving you a moving target, and perhaps after a week or two, bump up to the next level and see if you can endure a 45 minute workout., which I believe is where you said your at now. I think this is a more encouraging approach, because you are more than likely to see positive goal achievement. Of course you can kick up the difficulty level, and work back up to 45 minutes also, but this seems to diminish one's outlook on daily goal achievements. Again, this is a personal opinion. For me personally it works great, and keeps me mentally challenging myself, and constantly conquering my challenge by pushing myself further than I think I can each and every day, which ultimately is what life is all about. You wake up, you face your challenges head on, and for the most part you approach them in a manner that allows you to achieve, and then on to the next day. And if we don't today, well we certainly know what is ahead of us tomorrow. Good luck and I'm quite sure with enough persistence you'll do just fine. Enjoy your workout, now you got me jonsing for another run. I am going to take a jog on the track at the school - it is snowing, and nothing is better than a brisk run in the rocky mountain region with snow - plus I just reloaded a ton of new songs on my ipod. Thanks, and take care..
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    Your body is still recovering from being pushed harder. Not every workout will be your best. When you increase your intensity your body is forced to change and you will use more energy, even if during recovery.

Intervals are the best way to increase your resisitance because you will go inbetween where you are at and the next level and it won't wear you out as much. It is recommended to do intervals about 2x a week and your regular workout in between, so that you are always increasing your strength.

My secret is cardio coach ...cardiocoach.com

7 different workouts that incorporate intervals and keep me pumped and going. You can listen online.
    I didn't think I would like them originally but now I don't go with out it.

Good luck, remember your body does need a recovery day or two but great job increasing your intensity on the elliptical, my most hated of all the machines, my hat is off to you! :drinker:
  • vicky1
    vicky1 Posts: 236
    Options
    Thanks to everyone

I never thought of using interval training but I suppose it makes sense as that is the best way to use cardio training to its best I used to do with skipping and walking up and down the stairs two different intensity rates I lost loads of weight as well (hate myself for putting it back on this time when I reach my goal weight a 2lb gain will be a week of intensive workouts this is gonna be a new lifestyle forever for me as I gain weight very easy always have done i am never going to go through this again)

Good luck to all
    Vicky
    :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • rockymtnguy
    Options
    Your welcome and good luck to you to Vicky1. :bigsmile: