Just got a George Foreman

Options
beachlvr
beachlvr Posts: 58 Member
Hey there, I just got a new George Foreman (I know a bit late) and I was wondering if anyone had any good HEALTHY ideas. I grilled Asparagus on it last night and it was fantastic. I know the basics like chicken, fish, blah blah blah.....but I want something different.
Any sugestions?
Thanks. :smooched:

Replies

• beachlvr
    Options
    Hey there, I just got a new George Foreman (I know a bit late) and I was wondering if anyone had any good HEALTHY ideas. I grilled Asparagus on it last night and it was fantastic. I know the basics like chicken, fish, blah blah blah.....but I want something different.
    Any sugestions?
    Thanks. :smooched:
  • beagle595
    Options
    Portobello Mushroom burger! Yummy with tomato and low fat cheese. Or also try Zuchinni, yellow squash, red/yellow/orange peppers..lightly salted and brush your Foreman lightly with olive oil. Enjoy!
    I have a Foreman for about 5 yrs... love it. Easy clean up. Be well! :flowerforyou:
  • amunet07
    amunet07 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    My George Foreman came with a book (which I've lost :cry: ) and it had a BUNCH of interesting receipes in it. You might take a look if you haven't already. :flowerforyou:
  • CoachFoland
    CoachFoland Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Just don't burn your feet, a la Michael Scott on The Office.
  • beachlvr
    Options
    "Just don't burn your feet, a la Michael Scott on The Office. "

Best answer yet! :laugh:
  • weesel80
    weesel80 Posts: 186
    Options
    I need to get a George Foreman! I have some really good recipes that I need a grill for!!:happy:

109912.png
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    I love my George Foreman grill. :heart: It's great for cooking (turkey) bacon. :happy:
  • beachlvr
    Options
    "Portobello Mushroom burger! Yummy with tomato and low fat cheese. Or also try Zuchinni, yellow squash, red/yellow/orange peppers..lightly salted and brush your Foreman lightly with olive oil."
    I am going to try this! THANKS!!!:happy:
  • fowlerjm1
    Options
    Personally, I wouldn't cook chicken in it....
    It could be just me, but I find it gets very dry...
    Cooks quickly, but ends up being dry.
  • porka29
    porka29 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I love my George Foreman grill. :heart: It's great for cooking (turkey) bacon. :happy:

Really? Now I find that interesting! I had a foreman grill (small one) and used it a few times gave it to the Vetrans society when I got a new grill. Recently my MIL (although we're not married :laugh: ) offered me hers and it has a bun warmer so I took it, have not used it still for the same reason as I gave up the other one have grill - real one! Here's my question after a long response...........if you can cook turkey bacon on it, can you cook real bacon on it? I have not been able to find the "microwave bacon cooking" thing that I have seen multiple times so I burnd up some this morning cause I put a lid on it :noway: it's low sodium bacon and seems to be about the same in calories as turkey bacon and much lower in sodium (which I have a high one that I'm trying to contain) so - would it work the same?
  • JenS2009
    JenS2009 Posts: 65 Member
    Options

Really? Now I find that interesting! I had a foreman grill (small one) and used it a few times gave it to the Vetrans society when I got a new grill. Recently my MIL (although we're not married :laugh: ) offered me hers and it has a bun warmer so I took it, have not used it still for the same reason as I gave up the other one have grill - real one! Here's my question after a long response...........if you can cook turkey bacon on it, can you cook real bacon on it? I have not been able to find the "microwave bacon cooking" thing that I have seen multiple times so I burnd up some this morning cause I put a lid on it :noway: it's low sodium bacon and seems to be about the same in calories as turkey bacon and much lower in sodium (which I have a high one that I'm trying to contain) so - would it work the same?

I always cook regular bacon on the GForeman. Grease drips off, and it tastes good! If you are one of those that likes your bacon so hard that you could drive nails with it, then I would stick to the microwave. If I have to use the microwave, then I put the slices between sheets of paper towels and on a plate. Works just as well once you figure out the timing.
  • DawnInOhio
    DawnInOhio Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Use it to make panini's, no special equipment required.:happy:
    Just a nice hearty bread, I actually turn lite wheat or mulitgrain sandwich or hot dog buns "inside out" and put in lean meats and cheese of your choice, roasted red peppers, mushrooms, etc.:tongue: Makes a good grilled cheese! Peanut butter and banana...oh, I could go on...mmmm, you can cook MEAT on those things, too??:wink::bigsmile: :laugh:
  • DawnInOhio
    DawnInOhio Posts: 211 Member
    Options

I have a charcoal grill, a gas grill, and a castiron stove top (can you say OCD:laugh: ) but they really do come in handy when you want to do it real quick and the weather is bad, or like me, you have so many side dishes you keep running in and out make sure nothing burns. :glasses: Like I said in another post, try making panini's on it, with the bun warmer one I make one sandwich at a time, and keep the other on warm on the bun warmer...yeah, I got more than one george foreman, too. I need a 12 step program for excess kitchen gadgets.:ohwell: :embarassed:
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options

Sure it would work the same. Just lay the strips on the grill and close the lid and cook. I love my crispy but you can leave it in a little less time if you don't want it so crispy.
  • Thamber
    Thamber Posts: 194
    Options
    I had one and I loved it.

I used to do chicken on it all the time I did find that marinating the chicken helped to keep it juicier and also splitting the breast if it was too thick really helped too.

I would get a big pack of breasts and put each in a seperate ziplock baggie with a different marinade in each so i had variety. Than I froze them and took one out at a time to eat. As it thawed it marinaded itself :)

Then I popped it on the grill with veggies and had a complete meal :) Oh I would also marinate veggies too sometimes.

I lost it in a move..I definitly miss it :(
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    I make everything on it. Sometimes I just season chicken breast and put it on there and then put salsa on top.

One of my new favorite things to do is use it as a panini press.

I use a roll of some sort (maybe ciabatta roll)

Put 1 oz of fresh mozzarella
    sliced fresh tomato
    roasted red pepper
    fresh basil

I put the top of the roll on and put it on the george foreman and have it press it like a panini!

I have been wanting to try it with sliced apple, turkey and a little cheese!! YUM!!
  • iTim__
    iTim__ Posts: 6,823 Member
    Options
    We just got one too... I'm working on a low-cal 6 Dollar Burger (Carl's Jr.) idea... I'll keep you posted on how it goes. :)
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    How did you do the asparagus?

I grill any meats on it. Haven't tried veggies.
  • gggivens
    Options
    I am another George Foreman obsessed person. I own 3 of the large ones, one small one and one of the new ones with the removable plates that can go flat and also make waffles. I also got the George Foreman Spin Fryer for Christmas and LOVE it. It hardly allows the food to soak up any oil, and we can have fried foods again!!

Anyway- I like to use my regular Foreman grills to cook fajita salads. Put chicken or steak strips in a baggie with some fajita spice and let it marinate during the day. When ready to eat I slice up some onions and peppers and tomatoes. I lightly brush the surface with oil and put the vegis on, then the meat. Close it and cook for about 5 minutes. When done, scoop it all off and layer over a big plate of salad greens, top with a bit of salsa and light sour cream, and guacamole if you feel like splurging.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I love George! I make everything on it. I love my veggies grilled with olive oil, sandwiches ala paninni style. I told my DH the other night if that thing breaks, will have to leave immediately and get me another!:flowerforyou: