replacing Diet soda in recipes....

Options
Mrs_Moe
Mrs_Moe Posts: 68 Member
For all of those cake, cupcake, cookie recipes that call for a can of diet soda:
Has anyone tried plain or flavored seltzer water instead? I'm trying to cut out all artificail sweeteners. I tried the recipes with a can of pumpkin instead, but the texture is too dense for my liking.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Replies

• girlnamedlee
    girlnamedlee Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I've done unsweetened applesauce instead of oil & egg whites instead of eggs, but I haven't tried this. I did google it & the forums were saying that it'll effect the flavor, since you're substituting sugar/aspartame for fat. Maybe seltzer & a couple packets of stevia sweetener? That should be basically the same effect.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I never thought to try that with seltzer ...if you're concerned, why not u se a yellow or white cake mix, and squeeze a lemon and lime into the batter, just in case ? You can also zest the fruit. I'm sure it'd be scrumptuous!

Or use an orange..or grapefruit...

You know what? that sounds GOOD !!!
  • SahmReviews
    SahmReviews Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Try carbonated flavored water. Lots of great recipes!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I think it would work fine - if you are using a packet of cake mix then that is already sweetened, so the soda is just adding liquid and a bit of "lightness". Give it a try, I'm sure it won't be bad!
    The other thing I tried was a can of crushed pineapple (no added sugar) plus some grated carrot into a butter cake mix - that was delicious!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Why not just indulge in a real cake less often? One piece won't kill you.
  • Mrs_Moe
    Mrs_Moe Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    thanks for the input. I'm gonna give it a try and I'll post the results...
  • SuziPierce
    Options
    The other day I found out that instead of Veg Oil in cake mix you can use Apple Sauce! worked great and no oil!
  • MostlyWater
    Options
    that is, if you like the taste of applesauce. dh never liked that. i hardly bake anymore.
  • awdhemi
    awdhemi Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I tried a coke zero with sugar free brownie mix and it was WAY too gooey for my taste. Almost rubbery. Yuck!
  • MostlyWater
    Options
    i think the soda replacement only works for regular cake recipes -not brownies, cookies, or angel food cake.
  • amybrauch
    amybrauch Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Instead of using a whole can of pumpkin, try using a box of cake mix, 1 cup of water & 1 cup of pumpkin. I made some cupcakes off of Skinnytaste.com doing that and they were very light & fluffy.