water softner

Options
Does anybody know how much sodium is in drinking water that has been through a water softner? I think my lack of weight loss the last week or so (and a little gain) may be water retention because my rings are fitting snug the last few days. I drink 8+ glasses a day, all of which come from my faucet at home that runs through the water softner. I don't add salt to anything. I know there is sodium in everything and I am almost always under my daily allowance of 2500.

Replies

• chrislin2011
    chrislin2011 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I just check online and it said an 8oz glass of water contains less than 12.5mg of sodium. So if I'm drinking 10 glasses, I'm consuming an additional 125mg of sodium.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I doubt its making that much of a difference. Maybe your body is just retaining for hormonal reasons right now.....or if you're working out with weights it could be holding onto more water for muscle repair.
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I work for a plumbing and heating company and we install water softeners. They are not ideal to be added to kitchen sinks when it is being used for drinking water. Many people with heart problems run into this because it affects their medication. You can try to go to potassium pellets instead of salt pellets, but again their are side affects with the potassium. Its best if you can to have the softener bypass your kitchen sink if you plan on drinking the water and install a whole house filter (many of these you can find for under $30) to filter out minerals and sediment.
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    My water softener bypasses the cold water in my kitchen. So I assume there is no sodium in my cold water.