gall bladder surgery set back

Options
I started my new healthy life style back in September and I have lost weight each month with varying degrees. However, last week I suffered a gallbladder attack which resulted in my gall bladder being removed.... I had just come back from my thanksgiving hiatus and totally pumped. Now I am sitting in the apartment wishing for aqua aerobics and knowing there will be no workouts until after christmas.

Feeling extra discouraged. But on the plus side I am still losing about 1.2 lbs a week just by counting those pesky calories.

Replies

• jpburcham
    jpburcham Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Had my Gall Bladder removed back in 1995 ~ Best thing I ever had removed.
    You should be fine shortly.
  • blueimp
    blueimp Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Good for you for logging calories and reporting in. Friend me if you wish.
  • blueimp
    blueimp Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Oh, I should have said that. I was very young when I had my gall bladdar out, but I am every so glad that I did. (Mine was done so long ago that I have an 8" scar. They went in with hands then, not itty bitty instruments; in that way you are lucky!!!
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I feel your frustration. I had mine out the day before Thanksgiving! It is frustrating not being able to exercise (I started on MFP about the same time you did). I was going to start C25K, and I've had to put it on hold until next week. My doctor did allow me, after two weeks, to do some GENTLE walking on the treadmill, so I've been doing that. He said I can start back on the elliptical and running after four weeks, but no weights/strength training for six weeks.

Just do what you can, keep logging your food, and jump back in when the doc gives you the all-clear. I'm still logging my food and have lost 4 pounds since surgery, so it can be done!

Hang in there...I feel your pain!
  • Teresa527
    Teresa527 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I had mine taken out 2 years ago, the week before Christmas. I was in the hospital for 5 days before they removed it because it was so inflamed. Awful. I lost 10 lbs. in those 5 days though! :laugh:

You'll do great. Just remember that losing weight is all about a calorie deficit so you can do it without exercise! Heal up and then jump back on the exercise wagon.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I had mine out the day before Thanksgiving of last year. Thank Goodness and good riddance....all it ever gave me was painful attacks!! So glad it's gone. I had mine removed laparoscopy, the recovery time is very short and was back on the treadmill after 5 days of taking it easy. Walking slowly yes...but still moving! This is just a short setback for you! Rest up, pamper yourself, you'll be back in the game before you know it!
  • izzydino
    izzydino Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    the most frustrating thing about it was that I started having gall bladder attacks as I began eating healthy and having smaller portions. Which kinda baffled me. So last tuesday after my daily aqua aerobics I thought i was having a heart attack. Rushed to the hospital only to find out i had a very inflamed gall bladder, a few stones and sludge.

I was just glad it was dispensable organ ;)
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Weight loss can actually trigger gallstones, especially if you lose quickly (as most of us do at the beginning). I think my gallbladder trouble actually started three years ago, but I didn't really have a true gallbladder "attack" until I started working on losing weight. I get what you mean about feeling like you're having a heart attack...I woke up at 2 AM and thought I was having one. I was just about ready to call my mom (a nurse) to ask her about it when I had to run to the bathroom and threw up EVERYTHING violently (had burst capillaries in my face from throwing up so hard). After I threw up, I felt fine. I had another attack a week later, then 10 days later I had two attacks in two days. That was when I said ENOUGH IS ENOUGH! Thankfully, we have a general surgeon in our church, and I called him. He told me who to talk to in his office and to tell them HE SAID he wanted me worked in the day before Thanksgiving (a week later!). We got it done, and while I'm frustrated at having to take it easy (I feel lazy!), I'm glad it's out and won't give me any more trouble! I had sludge, too, and when he got in there, he found a bunch of tiny stones. He said the little ones are really bad about floating and moving around and blocking up ducts and such, which can eventually cause problems with the pancreas. So it's good that it's over and done with!