How to keep stir-fry meals light?

Options
Me and my mom made stir-fry last night and I was shocked by how many calories are in oil (we used canola oil). It's difficult to say how much oil was in my actual portion but I guesstimated it (somewhat generously) to be about 240 calories worth. That doesn't seem healthy. How much oil do you guys use on the pan? Any other tips?

Replies

• IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    There are low calorie sprays
    Lots of veg and no rice or noodles
    Uses spices instead of relying on high calorie sauces
  • ajlarz
    ajlarz Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    When I make stir-fry, I use low-sodium, no preservative teriyaki sauce. I measure out how much I am using and it's significantly less than using oil. If I do use oil, I will use extra-virgin olive oil. Sometimes I will add a little low-sodium soy sauce, but be careful with adding too much sodium as that is not good either! Using a little water with the spices isn't a bad idea either.
  • vanessaclarkgbr
    vanessaclarkgbr Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Yup I do as Ironsmasher says, Frylight sprays. I'm not frugal, I use about 40 sprays but that's still only 40 cals. Prawns are pretty low, we use them a lot but rinse them well as we use the frozen and they're pretty high in sodium.

If you find that you're hungry or need to put a few more cals in, we toast cashews in a dry pan first - I love them!
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Just bear in mind, using different oils will effect how hot you can have your wok
  • meredithashton
    meredithashton Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I use shirataki noodles...they have no calories!! (You will find people call them 'Miracle Noodles'...they sell them on Amazon.com, that's where I buy mine. I also use a generic teriyaki marinade and low sodium chicken broth when I make my stir fry (and obviously extra veggies) and they are delish and super low cal!
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    you can add a little broth or water to the wok / pan to prevent things from burning as you saute

You can also steam the veggies separately, then add to meat and toss with a light mixture of white wine and soy sauce (no oil)

Hope that helps
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    keep the quantity of oil down to a teaspoon.
    Use lots of aromatic veggies, onions, shallots, garlic, celery, etc.
    Pre-made sauces are also high in MSG (sodium), sugar, and calories, make your own sauces, using fat-free broths, spices, and vinegars.
    Low-fat proteins, of course.
  • cgraylyon
    cgraylyon Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I don't use any oil in my stir frys. I just use a nonstick pan with a bit of spray. I use a high heat and only cook them until they are crisp tender. I just bought low sodium, no preservative stir fry sauce by kikkoman? Going to try it tomorrow. I will message you my homemade stirfry recipe.
  • Jess22542
    Options
    - I always use olive oil sprays. They are amazing! I cut my oil use by like 75%.
    - You'd be shocked at how little you need, especially if some of your veggies are frozen. As they thaw, some water with come off of them that will provide the liquid you need.
    - Cook your protein (chicken or shrimp are my favs) in the pan first. You'll get liquid from that too. So you'll need less oil when you add the vegetables.
    - For the sauce, I use 1/4 cup of salsa, 2 tbsp of soy sauce, 1 tsp of sugar, and 1 tbsp of cornstarch (mix in bowl and poor on 2-5 minutes before everything is done). It really good and very low cal. That amount will make 4 servings of stir fry. **Make sure to use low sodium soy sauce

I always make 4 servings, even though it's just me and boyfriend. I separate the other two servings and eat the leftovers for lunches. Really easy and very good reheated in the microwave.
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    keep the quantity of oil down to a teaspoon.
    Use lots of aromatic veggies, onions, shallots, garlic, celery, etc.
    Pre-made sauces are also high in MSG (sodium), sugar, and calories, make your own sauces, using fat-free broths, spices, and vinegars.
    Low-fat proteins, of course.

are you suggesting that MSG is sodium or just that it can affect your sodium intake?

Because MSG is an amino acid...
  • idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I use just a little bit of oil to get things started. Once my veggies start to brown, I cover the pan and let them steam. The liquid mitigates the need for extra oil. I keep taking the lid on and off to stir things around, until they're done. I finish the dish uncovered and crank the heat to boil off any extra liquid. But if you're making a sauce like teriyaki or something, it's not necessary.
  • backstreet1008
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone!
  • Thena81
    Thena81 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    no oil. i use best life butter with evoo and it works great. i made some for lunch today and it came out super. i can give you the ingredients i used if u like
  • lindalou4850
    lindalou4850 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    When I make stir fry I use chicken NO oil It is very low in calorie
  • babynew
    babynew Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Bump...:tongue::love:
  • jplucheck
    jplucheck Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Me and my mom made stir-fry last night and I was shocked by how many calories are in oil (we used canola oil). It's difficult to say how much oil was in my actual portion but I guesstimated it (somewhat generously) to be about 240 calories worth. That doesn't seem healthy. How much oil do you guys use on the pan? Any other tips?

I substitute veggie or chicken stock instead of oil! Tastes delicious
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Well if you really wanna cut calories you could steam the veggies then put it over rice with a low cal sauce...

Edit: You put water in the bottom of sauce pan cover and steam....