Vegetarian or vegan christmas

This will be my first christmas not eating meat, and I don't know how it will be. I'm pescetarian though, so I guess I will be eating a lot of fish. Even if I want to eat as much vegetarian food as possible, I still want some traditional christmas food.

But the main point was WHAT DO YOU EAT FOR CHRISTMAS? I really need some ideas, and want to know what's good and still make you feel it's christmas.

Replies

• My sister in law is veganish (moving away from it) - the rest of us aren't but all of us like proper food. So for Christmas we have done;

http://www.vegetarianforlife.org.uk/vfl.aspx?page=527 wtih either red wine or porcini gravy (by the way, the meat eaters tend to have a slice as well)

She did a chestnut pudding type thing the year before - google for something.

We've also done a lentil and chestnut bake (rose elliot again) topped with cranberrie sauce (adapted from Lorraine Pascale in UK Red Magazine)

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/content/recipes/vegetarian/vegetarian-christmas/ (UK but should work)

Tips - make sure whatever you have looks good and tastes good - preferably so the meat eaters will have some with their meal. Don't just have veggies - nice but not particularly socialable.
    Fish - loads of really nice recipes which look good as well - fish stuffed with herbs is nice/ monkfish wrapped in spinach
  • rmdaly
    rmdaly Posts: 250 Member
    I'm vegetarian (no fish, but yes to eggs, cheese and milk) and I am trying to decide what to make for Christmas dinner. A nice spanikopita might be nice. Or a quiche. Maybe even a vegetarian pot pie. A good butternut squash soup may be for starters. And some good bread, salad and vegetables.
  • it_be_asin
    it_be_asin Posts: 562 Member
    I eat salad, bread, dip and falafels usually. And whatever junk they have out - although this year, I will try and stay clear of the minties / cheeses / chippies.

Please note that I live in Australia where Christmas can be 35 degrees celcius, so our Christmas lunches are usually summer BBQs, rather than roast with all the trimmings extravaganzas.
  • I'm newly vegan, and for Thanksgiving my mom and I (she's vegan too) made falafel, vegan mac & cheese, vegan gravy, and green bean casserole. We'll probably do the same for Christmas, but with more veggie oriented dishes instead of just veganizing the normal stuff.
  • epona_mus
    epona_mus Posts: 207 Member
    Butternut squash soup or salad for first course

Entree: Baked spinach-stuffed portabellas with a balsamic reduction

Sides:
    Mashed potatoes
    Mushroom gravy
    Braised brussel sprouts or green beans almondine
    Wild rice pilaf with squash, cranberries, and pecans
  • i've been vegetarian for four years. i usually just eat the salad and green bean casserole. there will usually be potatoes and gravy and vegetables also.
    my family isnt very vegetarian friendly.. lol
  • We usually make a nut roast/loaf, yorkshire puddings, then a whole bunch of veggies - boiled carrots, peas, broccoli and cauliflower with cheese sauce, roast potatoes, roast veg (parsnip, carrot etc), vegetarian stuffing... All with vegetarian gravy. Yum! :) Sometimes we have prawn cocktails for starters.
  • corinnak
    corinnak Posts: 51 Member
    Cheddar Vegetable Pot Pie
    Mushroom Gravy
    Mashed Potatoes
    Green Beans
    Cranberry Port Relish
    Scalloped Corn
    Cheddar Broccoli Bake
    Pumpkin Pie
  • lipglossjunky73
    lipglossjunky73 Posts: 497 Member
    Eggplant, pasta (the rare times I eat pasta are on holidays), and a large salad. That's what my inlaws order every year for me and my husband!