Sugar substitutes?

Options
2»

Replies

• cthoma70
    cthoma70 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I was eating 1200 calories or less a day eating oatmeal 1 to 2 times a day with artificial sweeteners and I gained weight. I stopped the artificial sweeteners and I lost, the only change in my diet/eating habits was cutting way down on the artificial sweeteners. This is just my experience with them. I cut them almost all the way out. Someone(not a doctor) told me your body proceeses artificial sweeteners like real sugar, when the body gets real sugar(and its in everything) your body doesnt know what to do with it so its stores it. (gains weight) When she told me this I cut it out and lost my weight. Just my thoughts on artificial sweeteners.
  • AdenaJ
    AdenaJ Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    You're welcome!
  • AdenaJ
    AdenaJ Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Mondaythe1st--

That article was very informative. Thank you!

You're welcome! One more thing: I just remembered that Jillian Michaels had a podcast on sugar recently. That conversation takes place about midway through the podcast. The advice she gives echos what some of the others have said: Stay away from the artificial sweeteners and use real sugar and honey in moderation. Here is the link to download the mp3: http://www.apple.com/itunes/affiliates/download/?id=418368811
  • taem
    taem Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone,

I was wondering if anyone had any information on sugar substitutes? I used to use Splenda, but then I read that is was not as 'natural' as I thought it was (it's not natural at all lol), so I've recently switched to stevia (I use the Truvia brand now)...I had a friend tell me today that she read somewhere that Splenda was better for you than Stevia! I know there are a lot of other options (agave, etc.), but I really like the 0-calorieness of Truvia and was just looking for more information! Thanks everyone.

~Merri

I believe Stevia in ratio to your weight can be harmful. I can't seem to see the rendered page, but go to nutrionfacts.org and do a search for stevia. Dr. Greger has some useful research (which he found from pubmed.org, so you can go there and research it as well).