Coffee?!

Options
Yes or no?

**In regard to aiming for weight loss.

Replies

• cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    yes, coffee is fine, it's what you put in it that is not. I drink mine straight. I also use a french press and grind my own coffee. This makes it so I don't need cream or sugar.
  • Deb2012
    Deb2012 Posts: 124
    Options
    What the heck is a french press? :tongue:
  • 3GKnight
    3GKnight Posts: 203
    Options
    I've been meaning to inquire about MFP'ers coffee types. I put just a touch of sugar in mine, to take the acidic edge off, but am looking for a coffee that's mild & possibly slightly sweet that wouldn't need sugar or sweetener.

Whether or not coffee is good for a diet, I have no personal experience. I just can't quit. :smile:
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Doesn't hurt. Doesn't help with weight loss as far as I know.
  • 3GKnight
    3GKnight Posts: 203
    Options

French presses are those small pitchers that brew coffee almost like tea.
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Coffee is an appetite suppressant - I have found it helps me eat less
    How many calories will just depend on what you add to it.. there aren't any calories in a shot of espresso, but add full cream milk and you're looking at over 100 calories. Add skim milk and maybe slightly less than 100. These days coffees get all sorts of things added, caramel/chocolate/cream etc can add more and more calories. Some coffees are now over 300 calories!
  • Nharley
    Nharley Posts: 201
    Options
    I have 2 cups in the morning with half and half. This addiction easily puts on 230 calories to my breakfast meal! I don't like that at all since I haven't yet settled into a daily exercise routine. Those calories add up fast! I do believe it is the half and half... however for me skim milk or rice milk (which I use for cereal) just doesn't cut it. I will probably cut back to one cup a day, but until then...
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    How many calories will just depend on what you add to it.. there aren't any calories in a shot of espresso, but add full cream milk and you're looking at over 100 calories. Add skim milk and maybe slightly less than 100. These days coffees get all sorts of things added, caramel/chocolate/cream etc can add more and more calories. Some coffees are now over 300 calories!
    How much milk are you adding to get that many calories??
  • Deb2012
    Deb2012 Posts: 124
    Options
    Hm.... I generally have a skinny cappuccino, with stevia (or sweetner if there's no stevia - and very rarely sugar). I'd on average have 1 a day (except for the 2 today).... So it's not too bad I guess, I know it's added calories I don't need but such a hard habit to break.

I'm not bothered if it doesn't aid weight loss, as long as it doesn't hinder it either lol.
  • Joisgettingfit
    Joisgettingfit Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I make my coffee in a cafetiere (french press) and then use a sweetener tablet which is about 0.2 calories per tablet.
    So all in all my coffee is never going to more than 5 calories.

I love tea so much more though, properly going through strawberry and mango fruit tea by the bucket load atm.
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options

Like prior poster said it's the caramel, chocolate, whipped cream, syrup, etc. Some of the larger Starbucks drinks have upwards of 500 calories. And a lot of the frozen coffee drinks are even worse.

I love Starbucks, but I stick to double tall skim lattes (100 cals) or occasionally splurge on a sugar free syrup. I think most of them taste very artificial though. And a french press is my favorite way to brew it at home.
  • xjamesrcaseboltx
    Options
    Drink all the coffee you want! it's a great pre-workout! Just make sure you are getting plenty of water also!
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options

There are 83 calories per cup of skim milk, 146 per cup of whole milk. So they're adding a lot or drinking ten cups of coffee with two tablespoons skim milk per cup to get to 100.

That said...anything other than regular coffee or straight espresso at a Caribou or Starbucks is lethal. A small hot chocolate at Caribou, skim no whip, is 270 calories (the "lite" version is 170).
  • tuneses
    tuneses Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Drink all the coffee you want! it's a great pre-workout! Just make sure you are getting plenty of water also!

Qft
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options

That said...anything other than regular coffee or straight espresso at a Caribou or Starbucks is lethal. A small hot chocolate at Caribou, skim no whip, is 270 calories (the "lite" version is 170).

That's not true at all. Like I said in my prior post, you can get a tall skim latte for 100 cals. And many of the tall size "skinny" beverages at Starbucks are still an affordable indulgence, from a calorie perspective, at about 150 cals or less. All of their nutrition information is available on line, so the key is to do your homework first if you aren't sure what you are orderding.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I drink coffee at work and it's only 30 calories a cup and delicious. Coffee, one French vanilla creamer, sweet-n-low or stevia. Mmmmm delicious
  • mcovillion
    Options
    i agree with rainbowbow. if i don't have my morning coffee i get a headache. i have a keurig. flavored coffee is already a little sweet. (green mountain wild blueberry is 2 calories.) doesn't need much sweetener. i'm fine with the calories, whether it's 5 or 50. can't function without my morning coffee. plus i heard jillian michaels say that caffeine helps jumpstart your metabolism.
  • RahBuhBuh
    RahBuhBuh Posts: 585 Member
    Options

What I want for Christmas :)

I drink anything with caffeine that does not have a lot of calories. It dilates blood vessels, gives you energy, suppresses appetite, and makes you happy. But as someone else said, make sure you are drinking lots of water.
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    I would never give up my coffee ever. But for the point of weight loss it's not a big deal...unless you load it down with tons of sugar and cream and up the calories a lot...or buy those fancy coffees with tons of calories. I usually stick to plain black coffee because that doesn't bother me. If you like cream/sugar, don't use cream but instead milk, almond, soy, whatever and for sugar I guess a low cal substitute if you want. I prefer to stick to real food so I don't like those chemically altered crap. Something like stevia would work good, that's supposed to be natural or something.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Just try to take it away from me...